Confirmed Signing Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has averaged 34 games a season for them so hardly reserve....
How many were sub appearances and how many were where he played through the middle rather than out of the left (which I remember seeing him play a few times). Danny Wellbeck is Brighton’s first choice striker, let that sink in.

Last edited:
Overheads, penalties, both feet finishes and a fantastic knee slide.

Proven Prem player, 1 in 4 striker and he’ll only start until Dom is back, then he’ll be a good option off the bench. £15m is a decent deal to be fair.
Just came to post the same thing.

Whilst not prolific, he scores all kinds of goals (except headers, height-ist).

The club can't win.

"Buy forwards, Everton Ffs!"

Club buys a proven Premier league forward for sensible money and are also maybe working on a deal for a championship player with a good record....

"Not those two, oh Christ! Clueless!"

The World Soccer reading nerds would have their pants around their ankles if we were buying Maupay from the French of Belgian league.

I can’t believe this is what we can come up with - Tarkowski and Maupay. We really do look like a Championship side these days.

Of course, some of you are happy because Maupay is a ‘snide’ but I want good players at Everton again, not Neil ‘Not good enough for Brighton but good enough for Everton’ Maupay.

Jesus wept. The standards at this football club are in the mud. From Lukaku and Richyson to Rondon and Maupay.
Come on now, Judi.

It's like the varying stages of grief. Seems to me you're at the bargaining stage, on the cusp of depression.

Acceptance is just around the corner.

It's the reality of the modern Everton. Run into the ground by one man for over two decades.

It's unfortunate for our manager that he's inherited a half arsed squad made up of players bought by... Hang on, let me count... 6 different managers. The whole thing needs ripping up and starting over.

That means we're shopping for the Maupays rather than the Lukakus for a while.

Because your valuation is 225k and you're being stupidly pessimistic about smart business and trying to draw attention to Che Adams.

No further questions your honor.
Probably off topic (Sorry, Mods) but what on earth does a posters transfer value have to do with an opinion they share?

@davek is 150m, and whilst undoubtedly a national treasure I don't agree with everything he says.

You? 8m. Pffffft.

We religiously play with a target man. It is literally the core identity of how this team plays! Can you explain how he fits into this? If we played with the ball on the floor i reckon he would be a great signing. But we don't and it is just more misfitting players to add to the pile whilst we all wonder why the team looks disjointed.
Options.

It gives the manager Options to vary formations and do different things with the team.
We play with a target man because that is what DCL is and he is too good to leave out when fit.

Options.

It gives the manager Options to vary formations and do different things with the team.
We play with a target man because that is what Dominic Calvert-Lewin is and he is too good to leave out when fit.
Having attackers with different attributes is important. It allows the manager to shake things up. in remember Sharp and Heath or Ferguson and Radzinski etc. Having a target man and someone who plays off him is a good thing.

As much as I loved Richarlison, he had no partnership play with DCL

The fact that people try to rationalize these horrible signings still blows my mind.

Except we are never proven wrong
Hey Gerbs, about that let’s have a little look at your football (soccer) knowledge.

On Mykolenko:

Post in thread 'Vitalii Mykolenko'
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/vitalii-mykolenko.114144/post-9323740

Post in thread 'Vitalii Mykolenko'
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/vitalii-mykolenko.114144/post-9321169

On wanting to spend £30m on Leon Bailey:

Post in thread 'Everton Summer transfers 2021'
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/everton-summer-transfers-2021.111952/post-8920617

On Pickford:

Post in thread 'Jasper Cillessen'
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/jasper-cillessen.110963/post-8061062

I’d be a bit more humble if I was you buddy.

Last edited:

Brighton fan here.

Neal is an out and out striker, his game is running in behind - and he will run all day long. His touch isn’t the best and he is pretty hopeless back to goal - but that isn’t his game. I am assuming he will be asked to play on the shoulder for you.

Maupay offers nothing in the air, as you’d expect given his height and build. What he does offer though is enthusiasm and a really good work rate- the guy runs his socks off every game. You will never feel short changed in effort with Neal.

The big problem, speaking as a Brighton fan exclusively based on my own experiences, is his finishing.

He gets himself in fantastic positions but often he looks lost when he’s right there in front of goal. Maupay runs his socks off - sometimes when a big chance comes to him, he blows it - personally I suspect it is because he is gassed from all the running.

Finally; the shithousery. If he’s yours, you’ll love him. Most football fans love having a “shithouse” as one of their own.

You’ve had a few players in recent years I don’t exactly admire for their sportsmanship, namely Richarlison and Gordon. Maupay is a wind up merchant and - personally I don’t like it. I appreciate every team needs some steel and attitude - Neal is often more worried about the opposition fans than his own game.

Any questions feel free to ask, or if you want to insult me, do that too! Cheers lads.

I really don’t think it’s that. The guy was on the verge of signing for Forest weeks ago.
But never did.. same principle in play. The seller holds the cards, it’s pure logic to do all that you can to gain any advantage.. we’d arguably be 3 or 4 points better off had we had a competent forward by now.

Brighton fan here.

Neal is an out and out striker, his game is running in behind - and he will run all day long. His touch isn’t the best and he is pretty hopeless back to goal - but that isn’t his game. I am assuming he will be asked to play on the shoulder for you.

Maupay offers nothing in the air, as you’d expect given his height and build. What he does offer though is enthusiasm and a really good work rate- the guy runs his socks off every game. You will never feel short changed in effort with Neal.

The big problem, speaking as a Brighton fan exclusively based on my own experiences, is his finishing.

He gets himself in fantastic positions but often he looks lost when he’s right there in front of goal. Maupay runs his socks off - sometimes when a big chance comes to him, he blows it - personally I suspect it is because he is gassed from all the running.

Finally; the shithousery. If he’s yours, you’ll love him. Most football fans love having a “shithouse” as one of their own.

You’ve had a few players in recent years I don’t exactly admire for their sportsmanship, namely Richarlison and Gordon. Maupay is a wind up merchant and - personally I don’t like it. I appreciate every team needs some steel and attitude - Neal is often more worried about the opposition fans than his own game.

Any questions feel free to ask, or if you want to insult me, do that too! Cheers lads.
tbf most Evertonians absolutely despise Gordon's antics. Richarlison embellished, Gordon just plain ole dives.

Even if he gets 8 to 10 goals this season it's more than we will get from the current fit strikers.
Not a bad deal for me and his attitude could be a plus as well we are a team that is far to nice on the pitch the last few seasons.

Brighton fan here.

Hi mate, is he close to an international call-up in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.