2023/24 Nathan Patterson

I just don't think he's very good personally i've not seen anything to suggest to me that he is so thats all I can go off. Like I keep saying I can totally get that its worth giving him another go because other people are also crap but he's been here 2 and a half years and I just haven't seen much to impress me and neither have his managers. The lack of consistency thing about managers is just pure hogwash all managers have subjective opinions its stupid to pretend that its somehow unfair on him its just that different managers want different things from players (unfortunately in Pattersons case ALL his managers have seemed to find that they don't really rate him but thats just pure bad luck i'm sure and nothing to do with him) and sometimes players find themselves out of favour it happens everywhere.

Realistically we'll probably only find out if Patterson is any good once he leaves us and plays regular football somewhere else

If that's in the Championship then I suspect it'll be a case of no one rating him as it's at a much lower level anyway

God forbid it's back in the SPL as then he would be seen as some kind of farmer

The important thing is that we stay in the EPL and get a proper replacement for Coleman before the start of next season

Last edited:
Coleman came from Sligo Rovers in 2009. At best you would say a semi pro club, not got a reputation for blooding youth and probably not got the best facilities or coaching.

Patterson has come from the Rangers youth facilties which are probably the best in Scotland with top level coaching and played through the youth levels for Scotland.

When they both arrived at the club due to the training and coaching Patterson has had he should be miles above the level of Coleman.

After 18 months Coleman had cemented his place in the team at the right of midfield. When we had a half decent team as well at the time.

After 2 years Patterson is currently 4th choice. People can say he should be playing but we have a coaching team and analysts who watch him on a daily basis and they don't rate him.
I mean if they were the same quality and potential then I suppose your argument would hold up. Truth is is that players ripen at different times. My point is that by writing him off at such a young age, you're not giving him a fair chance. Compared to the other options, he's probably the better at this stage. And by saying he's the 4th best option, I think you need to say that's according to dyche. Remember when doucs wasn't played under lampard (became our top goal scorer until injured (possibly still is)), or when Rafael didn't play digne. Its not always about the player. Sometimes its the manager.
Its a very different situation and totally pointless comparing when you look at how they were both brought through.
Point is that he's still young and needs game time to improve. Either here or on loan. But I also don't want to see young or Godfrey at rb

Realistically we'll probably only find out if Patterson is any good once he leaves us and plays regular football somewhere else

If that's in the Championship then I suspect it'll be a case of no one rating him as it's at a much lower level anyway

God forbid it's back in the SPL as then he would be seen as some kind of farmer

Realistically the important thing is that we stay in the EPL and get a proper replacement for Coleman before the start of next season
Well we can only decide if his career has been a success when its over I suppose but its normal to judge people as they go isn't it?

It seems like Patterson's confidence is shot

He wasn't the same player as he was for us against Brighton when he played for Scotland last night/on Friday

Totally mismanaged
Hardly surprising like, when a geriatric Ashley Young and a bog standard league one level centre back are being picked before him. I don't know if this says more about Patterson, or, the way Dyche and his team have handled the situation.

I mean if they were the same quality and potential then I suppose your argument would hold up. Truth is is that players ripen at different times. My point is that by writing him off at such a young age, you're not giving him a fair chance. Compared to the other options, he's probably the better at this stage. And by saying he's the 4th best option, I think you need to say that's according to dyche. Remember when doucs wasn't played under lampard (became our top goal scorer until injured (possibly still is)), or when Rafael didn't play digne. Its not always about the player. Sometimes its the manager.

Point is that he's still young and needs game time to improve. Either here or on loan. But I also don't want to see young or Godfrey at rb

I said in the summer he should have went out on loan. Would have been best for his development.

I just don't think he's very good personally i've not seen anything to suggest to me that he is so thats all I can go off. Like I keep saying I can totally get that its worth giving him another go because other people are also crap but he's been here 2 and a half years and I just haven't seen much to impress me and neither have his managers. The lack of consistency thing about managers is just pure hogwash all managers have subjective opinions its stupid to pretend that its somehow unfair on him its just that different managers want different things from players (unfortunately in Pattersons case ALL his managers have seemed to find that they don't really rate him but thats just pure bad luck i'm sure and nothing to do with him) and sometimes players find themselves out of favour it happens everywhere.
At Everton, he has had 2 managers. In the season Lampard was the manager at the start, he picked him whenever he was available (keeping Coleman out the team at the start of the season until he got injured).

I can’t comment about rangers other than Tavernier was their club captain (and still is and still their first choice RB 2.5 years later) so it would be hard to displace him, especially as a teenager.

It was never up to Jan. I reckon he had up to 6 starts at most before young was starting
I'm not saying he was starting every single game as one of the first names on the team sheet i'm saying he was playing regularly. Up until the end of January he'd started 14 games and come on as a sub in 11 out of 29 games - that's playing regularly.

I think after slapgate Dyche will be more inclined to give some game time.

Would be kinda ironic if Young Patto saved his job.
Another Niasse and Koeman. Niasse scoring game winners gave Neptune noggin another 6 matches that he probably didn't deserve.

On second thought keep him on the bench Dyche.

Hardly surprising like, when a geriatric Ashley Young and a bog standard league one level centre back are being picked before him. I don't know if this says more about Patterson, or, the way Dyche and his team have handled the situation.

But do you accept Dyche and his team will be desperately trying to win football matches? I mean they are experienced, qualified and watch the team every day?