2023/24 Nathan Patterson

….given our available RBs, Joey, I don’t think it’s a matter of ‘who’s the best’, it more a matter of ‘who’s least worst’. It’s a pretty poor lot.
It is I agree the left back is below par also atm - Patterson is the best of a bad bunch, at least he has pace to overlap .....

It seems like Patterson's confidence is shot

He wasn't the same player as he was for us against Brighton when he played for Scotland last night/on Friday

Totally mismanaged
Meanwhile, we have signed a dud in 38-year-old Ashley Young ..... pathetic by Dyche - if things were normal at the club he would be sacked by now - Fat Sam was bad, but Dyche beats him for prize Dianasour ..... he needs slapping not Patterson ....

….given our available RBs, Joey, I don’t think it’s a matter of ‘who’s the best’, it more a matter of ‘who’s least worst’. It’s a pretty poor lot. I can’t be having Young, Godfrey is gung ho but I’d currently have either ahead of Patterson.
Not really we have not won a game since mid December

Meanwhile, we have signed a dud in 38-year-old Ashley Young ..... pathetic by Dyche - if things were normal at the club he would be sacked by now - Fat Sam was bad, but Dyche beats him for prize Dianasour ..... he needs slapping not Patterson ....

Yeah I've lost any faith I might have had in Dyche

If we can escape this season in the PL it would be great if there was a better option for next season

....Hes 22, not yet in his prime.
22 is young enough to get better but its not too young to perform well. I'm not saying he'll never get better i'm saying people make out like he definitely should be playing now but theres no actual reasoning behind it other than he can't be any worse than the others thats literally it.

Signing a player LIKE Patterson wasn’t a bad idea we can’t afford the best so signing potential is a good plan but unfortunately he hasn’t really shown that potential yet and I agree with others that we’re getting to a point where it isn’t very likely that he will I hope I’m wrong but he just hasn’t done a lot in his career up to now to make it seem likely.
Coleman only started getting proper appearances when he turned 22. Seasons before he was sidelined or loaned out. Hard to write pattos whole potential off when he's only the same age our captain was when he started getting game time for us.

22 is young enough to get better but its not too young to perform well. I'm not saying he'll never get better i'm saying people make out like he definitely should be playing now but theres no actual reasoning behind it other than he can't be any worse than the others thats literally it.
The reasoning is that young and Godfrey are liabilities. I think its his turn to get a go in the start (unless colemans fit).

It's perhaps more that Patterson hasn't done any worse than anyone else who has played

Patterson having the scope for improvement if he does play makes it seem pretty reasonable to suggest that he perhaps should play given that fact

The alternatives are playing out of position/not particularly in a position to improve with more game time

Ideally he can get some regular football somewhere, improve and not lose too much value if he is to be sold on at some point

I mean he should be playing based off the level the others have been performing to. When he has played, yeah there’s some mistakes, but none that have directly led to goals or penalties etc like with the other. Of all the RB options, he is the only one with scope to improve by playing.

No one is hyping him as amazing or saying he is an excellent player. But the others can make as many mistakes as they want and give away penalties, own goals, and lose us points and continue to play.

It’s the lack of consistency with management decisions that is frustrating people. Eg, he plays decent (like in the cup games early on) and immediately got dropped again etc.

Coleman only started getting proper appearances when he turned 22. Seasons before he was sidelined or loaned out. Hard to write pattos whole potential off when he's only the same age our captain was when he started getting game time for us.

Coleman came from Sligo Rovers in 2009. At best you would say a semi pro club, not got a reputation for blooding youth and probably not got the best facilities or coaching.

Patterson has come from the Rangers youth facilties which are probably the best in Scotland with top level coaching and played through the youth levels for Scotland.

When they both arrived at the club due to the training and coaching Patterson has had he should be miles above the level of Coleman.

After 18 months Coleman had cemented his place in the team at the right of midfield. When we had a half decent team as well at the time.

After 2 years Patterson is currently 4th choice. People can say he should be playing but we have a coaching team and analysts who watch him on a daily basis and they don't rate him.

I mean he should be playing based off the level the others have been performing to. When he has played, yeah there’s some mistakes, but none that have directly led to goals or penalties etc like with the other. Of all the RB options, he is the only one with scope to improve by playing.

No one is hyping him as amazing or saying he is an excellent player. But the others can make as many mistakes as they want and give away penalties, own goals, and lose us points and continue to play.

It’s the lack of consistency with management decisions that is frustrating people. Eg, he plays decent (like in the cup games early on) and immediately got dropped again etc.
I just don't think he's very good personally i've not seen anything to suggest to me that he is so thats all I can go off. Like I keep saying I can totally get that its worth giving him another go because other people are also crap but he's been here 2 and a half years and I just haven't seen much to impress me and neither have his managers. The lack of consistency thing about managers is just pure hogwash all managers have subjective opinions its stupid to pretend that its somehow unfair on him its just that different managers want different things from players (unfortunately in Pattersons case ALL his managers have seemed to find that they don't really rate him but thats just pure bad luck i'm sure and nothing to do with him) and sometimes players find themselves out of favour it happens everywhere.

Its a very different situation and totally pointless comparing when you look at how they were both brought through.

I think we need to consider the fact that he needs game time, purely based on the fact he's likely to be out go to rb next season. Not sure we will buy anyone, and young and coleman are probably eyeing retirement. Thats leaves Godfrey or patto... or Holgate.