2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
The combo is interesting, Patterson with Young Ben in behind. Ben has the pace, size and athleticism to cover that side if caught and no stranger to a full back role.
Exactly this. Godfrey isn’t perfect but at RCB he has the athleticism to deal with quick counters down that side if Patterson is caught out of position. Patterson needs to be encouraged to be as offensive as possible and Godfrey gives you the peace of mind to do so.

Exactly this. Godfrey isn’t perfect but at RCB he has the athleticism to deal with quick counters down that side if Patterson is caught out of position. Patterson needs to be encouraged to be as offensive as possible and Godfrey gives you the peace of mind to do so.
Against decent opposition he'd be swamped. Blackpool is no guide to Godfrey patrolling the whole of the right side of defence on his todd.

The truth is that we need FBs on both flanks to be able to play in a 3 or 4 backline.

The combo is interesting, Patterson with Young Ben in behind. Ben has the pace, size and athleticism to cover that side if caught and no stranger to a full back role.

To be fair ive said we should use Godfrey at RCB with Patterson as RWB.

I think it looks an ideal combo and suits both players.

The sole concern for our defence is if Mina is injured.

Mina is out of contract next season so will need to prove his fitness to earn a new one, before then going back to being injured all of the time the following season

Yeah I’d feel a lot more confident about this season if we could somehow keep that back three of Godfrey-Mina-Tarkowski fit for the bulk of the season. But of course that’s incredibly unlikely.

You know that Godfrey wont be able to cover for Patterson in a PL game the way he did all game yesterday?

I dont kow mate, if you want a team of young players to develop, you have to play young players and develop them, i think both have natural attributes to compliment and the roles might suit them, but both have developmental needs to mind, so they exist in the spectrum i describe.

Patterson's job of work now is what to do with the likely opportunity in the first few games when Coleman is out - its Colemans shirt to loose right now, its up to Paterson to give the manager a decision to make should he get an opportunity in the first couple. He will either sink or swim.

I dont kow mate, if you want a team of young players to develop, you have to play young players and develop them, i think both have natural attributes to compliment but both have developmental needs to mind, so they exist in the spectrum i describe.

Patterson's job of work now is what to do with the likely opportunity 9in the first few games when Coleman is out - its Colemans shirt to loose right now, its up to Paterson to give the manager a decision to make should he get an opportunity in the first couple. He will either sink or swim.

If Lampard sees a role in defence for Patterson I'd be alarmed at Lampard's judgement. Thus far he's made sure he's played him not as a defender and not as a wing back. He occupies some space between playing as a wing back and an out and out front player wide right.

It is the strangest phenomenon I've seen. It's like a half-position which can maybe pay dividends against sub-PL teams, when it's pretty much attack v defence, but not against the vast majority of PL teams when the competition will be tough.

If Lampard sees a role in defence for Patterson I'd be alarmed at Lampard's judgement. Thus far he's made sure he's played him not as a defender and not as a wing back. He occupies some space between playing as a wing back and an out and out front player wide right.

It is the strangest phenomenon I've seen. It's like a half-position which can maybe pay dividends against sub-PL teams, when it's pretty much attack v defence, but not against the vast majority of PL teams when the competition will be tough.
He played him at wing back Dave.

Made up he's mugging you off.

He played him at wing back Dave.

Made up he's mugging you off.
I dont think that's remotley happened, do you?

More substantially: the positioning on the pitch of Patterson is much more advanced than a normal WB will play. He's basically crowding out Gordon. That represents a problem as to where to deploy Gordon if he continues this (Lampard) into the PL season.

This is why Coleman will continually be preferred, as he makes matters much more simple for Lampard. Seamus can play in a back three as a RWB who overlaps Gordon when he can, but doesn't crowd him out; and he also slots into a back four too.

You can play wingback a number of ways though someone like TAA is a rubbish defender - not saying Patterson is though, but TAA is considered one of the best wing backs out there.

You can even look at Combo's you can have one who is an extra attacker and one more defensively minded, like say Alonso and Azpi at Chelsea when they play, maybe even Patterson and Myko, i think Myko is a natural fullback with some skill in getting forward. The more defensive one drops deeper quicker to sometimes make a four if there is a breakdown.

It depends on the balance, if Patterson gives incredible width and threat in the final third and is clocking up assists because he has a cross on him, then your balancing up what he gives you in threat compared to what you loose with him defensively Vs Coleman. As it should be really, competition, options and variance in the squad. Especially when you a player of Bens profile who can compensate behind. We are a bit tame down the right hand side and this lad maybe could contribute in threat and output - if he proves it.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.