2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think that's remotley happened, do you?

More substantially: the positioning on the pitch of Patterson is much more advanced than a normal WB will play. He's basically crowding out Gordon. That represents a problem as to where to deploy Gordon if he continues this (Lampard) into the PL season.

This is why Coleman will continually be preferred, as he makes matters much more simple for Lampard. Seamus can play in a back three as a RWB who overlaps Gordon when he can, but doesn't crowd him out; and he also slots into a back four too.
Crowding out Gordon, honestly, do you make this stuff up on the fly or do you make notes before you go to sleep?

Have you considered writing a screenplay?

I'm a neutral and I'm saying I don't consider them the top club in Scotland and I don’t think there would be mutch arguement about that other than from Rangers fans themselves.
I'll tell you what though mate they won't lay a glove on Celtic this year where the league is concerned.
I do understand what you meant. I'm not neutral and I totally disagree. 3 or 4 other Scottish clubs are getting a taste of European football this season because Rangers have been playing well in Europe.
In terms of the league this season, you couldn't be more wrong. The league title is coming home. Gio has big Angie's number now.

Against decent opposition he'd be swamped. Blackpool is no guide to Godfrey patrolling the whole of the right side of defence on his todd.

The truth is that we need FBs on both flanks to be able to play in a 3 or 4 backline.

…you obviously didn’t watch the game or posting to suit your agenda if you think ‘Godfrey patrolled the whole of the right side alone’.

Have a look at the first goal conceded. Blackpool break down their right, Patterson is back in an ideal position inside his own box, he even glances over his shoulder watching for runners. I know this because I watch players before posting.

Ahead of one of his recent Scotland games you stated ‘he gets caught upfield’. After 17mins, Scotland conceded. The opposition broke down their right, Scotlands CB threw a suicidal tackle on the touchline and they were in on goal. Patterson didn’t stand and watch from the opposite wing, he bombed back and was the actually the deepest defender when the ball crossed the line.

You do post utter wham.

The lad has probably played more internationals than league games, there will be mistakes at this stage of his career but watching the game back, he’s involved in lots of intricate play with probing passes from deep. Look at his part in starting the move from deep leading to Ali’s first goal and see his position when the ball comes into the area.

You can play wingback a number of ways though someone like TAA is a rubbish defender - not saying Patterson is though, but TAA is considered one of the best wing backs out there.

You can even look at Combo's you can have one who is an extra attacker and one more defensively minded, like say Alonso and Azpi at Chelsea when the play, maybe even Patterson and Myko, i think Myko is a natural fullback with some skill in getting forward. The more defensive one drops deeper quicker to sometimes make a four if there is a breakdown.

It depends on the balance, if Patterson gives incredible width and threat in the final third and is clocking up assists because he has a cross on him, then you balancing up what he gives compared to what you loose with him Vs Coleman. As it should be really. We are a bit tame down the right hand side and this lad could contribute output - if he proves it.
On TAA - he is poor defending, but he gets back into position just enough to make a difference in defence. Patterson doesn't do that.

Formations: yes, you can have almost a flat back four if Mykolenko spends most of his time kept back ready to make a 3 a 4...but he's bringing his attacking game on now and so why would you dispense with that?

On your last point about balance betwen what he brings in attack as opposed to defence: yes. This is why I say that he should be played as a winger, because he can pick a pass out in the final third. I have no problem with that, just keep him out of the defence. His own statment yesterday was very peculiar for any RB / RWB "It's my job to get assists and goals". His mind set is to attack and attack alone. If he's played as a RWB in a three at the back system the Right CB will be run ragged.

In short: play him as a winger or keep him on the bench and let Coleman continue as a starter....or buy in.

I dont think that's remotley happened, do you?

More substantially: the positioning on the pitch of Patterson is much more advanced than a normal WB will play. He's basically crowding out Gordon. That represents a problem as to where to deploy Gordon if he continues this (Lampard) into the PL season.

This is why Coleman will continually be preferred, as he makes matters much more simple for Lampard. Seamus can play in a back three as a RWB who overlaps Gordon when he can, but doesn't crowd him out; and he also slots into a back four too.
Crowding out Gordon? Is this the Gordon who primarily works on the left or centre?

On TAA - he is poor defending, but he gets back into position just enough to make a difference in defence. Patterson doesn't do that.

Formations: yes, you can have almost a flat back four if Mykolenko spends most of his time kept back ready to make a 3 a 4...btut he's bringing his attacking game on now and so why would you dispense with that?

On your last point about balance betwen what he brings uin attack as opposed to defence: yes. This is why I say that he should be played as a winger, because he can pick a pass out in the final third. I have no problem with that, just keep him out of the defence. His own statment yesterday was very peculiar for any RB / RWB "It's my job to get assists and goals". His mind set is to attack and attack alone. If he's played as a RWB in a thrre at the back system the Right CB will be run ragged.

In short: play him as a winger or keep him on ther bench and let Coleman continue as a starter....or buy in.

…nonsense. He doesn’t get caught up the pitch.

Your case against the youngster is becoming clearer - it’s because we bought him from Glasgow Rangers.

Crowding out Gordon? Is this the Gordon who primarily works on the left or centre?

Here's his map for the season where he received the ball.

Cover-1024x611.png

It's like you never watched him.

When Richarlison was playing Gordon was on the right.

Formations: yes, you can have almost a flat back four if Mykolenko spends most of his time kept back ready to make a 3 a 4...but he's bringing his attacking game on now and so why would you dispense with that?

On your last point about balance betwen what he brings in attack as opposed to defence: yes. This is why I say that he should be played as a winger, because he can pick a pass out in the final third. I have no problem with that, just keep him out of the defence. His own statment yesterday was very peculiar for any RB / RWB "It's my job to get assists and goals". His mind set is to attack and attack alone. If he's played as a RWB in a thrre at the back system the Right CB will be run ragged.

In short: play him as a winger or keep him on ther bench and let Coleman continue as a starter....or buy in.

On TAA I dont think he does to be honest mate - the CL final a case in point, hes compensated by VVD and Matip in the main and their possession based model - its why Southgate wont have him near the England team, because no way the like of Maguire does that for him there. Mr Kool, has made the decision that what he given you in creativity, threat and out put is worth more than what they loose defensively and hes probably right.

Tactically i dont think its all or nothing -one sacrificing for the other, its just needs to be balanced, you just dont have two at the corner flag all the time they need to check each others runs, that's very basic at PL level you do it at all alternating positions mate.

There is a very thin line between a wing back and a winger to my mind mate, you ask them to do a little more offensively and you ask them to do a bit more defensively and balance it, but they are neither an out and out winger, nor out and out brilliant full back traditionally, its a balanced nuanced position unique these days. You need covering centre half's and you need your central midfielders to come across to if your playing it.

Last edited:

On TAA I dont think he does to be honest mate - the CL final a case in point, hes compensated by VVD and Matip in the main and heir posession based model - its why Southgate wont have him near the England team, because no way the like of Maguire does that for him there. Mr Kool, has made the decision that what he given you in creativity threat and out put is worth more than what they loose defensively and hes probably right.

Tactically i dont think its all or nothing, one sacrificing for the other, its just more balanced, you dont have two at the corner flag all the time they need to check each others runs, that's very basic at PL level you do it at all alternating positions mate.

There is a very thin line between a wing back and a winger to my mind mate, you ask them to do a little more defensively and you ask them to do a bit more defensively, but they are neither an out and out winger, nor out and out brilliant full back traditionally, its a balanced nuanced position unique these days. You need covering centre half's and you need your central midfielders to come across too if your playing it.
I think you're wrong about TAA:

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 13.53.53.png

His concentration levels are one thing back in defence, but his ability to get back behind the ball is unquestionable.

ATM can you see Patterson's heat map resembling that?!

Status
Not open for further replies.