Nathan Broadhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big season for him then, it doesn't by any stretch of the imagination mean he won't make it with us, we have no idea. Like I said in Sambou thread, making the first team isn't easy at top level but you shouldn't write players off at 21 years old.

Richarlison, DCL and Lookman had all made a load of first team appearances by that age, yet this guy doesn't even make the bench, despite our lack of options up front. The youth team is hugely bloated, which is perhaps why it tends to win things, as guys who should be playing senior football elsewhere (and are shipped out by other teams) are still clogging up our youth team.

Richarlison, DCL and Lookman had all made a load of first team appearances by that age, yet this guy doesn't even make the bench, despite our lack of options up front. The youth team is hugely bloated, which is perhaps why it tends to win things, as guys who should be playing senior football elsewhere (and are shipped out by other teams) are still clogging up our youth team.

Players develop at different stages. I'm not for one second saying Broadhead will make by the way, I just don't like writing players off until it's blatantly obvious they've reached their limit. Osman was at derby on loan at 22/23 year old, he made it, it doesn't always have to be so set in stone.

Players develop at different stages. I'm not for one second saying Broadhead will make by the way, I just don't like writing players off until it's blatantly obvious they've reached their limit. Osman was at derby on loan at 22/23 year old, he made it, it doesn't always have to be so set in stone.

The lad hasn't even been out on loan, much less been a success. There's absolutely nothing to suggest he'll make it at Everton or be a Harry Kane'esq late bloomer.

Bloody Hell players retire quick don’t they.

The Everton youth system has a great track record of churning out players who have a career in the game. Sadly it's pretty rubbish at churning out players who go on to have international careers. But hey, we win the youth league, so all is good.

If that sounds harsh, it probably is, but we're pushing for a place in the top 6, and the last player we developed who was even close to that kind of level was Barkley. I wouldn't mind if it was at least profitable, but with the reasonably large fees we're spending on youth players plus the cost of running it, it barely is, and certainly wouldn't be without the Stones fee.

Last edited:
The lad hasn't even been out on loan, much less been a success. There's absolutely nothing to suggest he'll make it at Everton or be a Harry Kane'esq late bloomer.

The Everton youth system has a great track record of churning out players who have a career in the game. Sadly it's pretty rubbish at churning out players who go on to have international careers. But hey, we win the youth league, so all is good.

If that sounds harsh, it probably is, but we're pushing for a place in the top 6, and the last player we developed who was even close to that kind of level was Rodwell. I wouldn't mind if it was at least profitable, but with the reasonably large fees we're spending on youth players plus the cost of running it, it barely is, and certainly wouldn't be without the Stones fee.

I'm not saying he will make it, that's the difference here, you are stating basically as a fact, he's done here. how on earth do you know?

Some of our fans have the most bizarre attitudes to young footballers. It really is you are Rooney or you are crap.

If that sounds harsh, it probably is, but we're pushing for a place in the top 6, and the last player we developed who was even close to that kind of level was Rodwell. I wouldn't mind if it was at least profitable, but with the reasonably large fees we're spending on youth players plus the cost of running it, it barely is, and certainly wouldn't be without the Stones fee.

I only find it alarming if you’re not 1st team material at 21 it’s impossible you ever will be.

He's 21 already so fairly sure he won't make it with us.

I don't know, I think he has more about him than Lewin when he first came into the team..

This is what Unsworth said about him.

“He’s a top young player and one of the best players I’ve worked with at this level. I hope he goes on and has a wonderful career because his ability certainly deserves that.”

Broadhead is also a big Evertonian, and he could easily have more of an output than Walcott.

I'd say 23 is the age for me if you've either got it or not, Doesn't apply to every youth player but maybe for some like Davies/Dowell who have shown a hint of something in the tank but haven't replicated it consistently.
I haven't seen Broadhead much but he has impressed me in these friendly games tbh, I think he's worth keeping for a little.

I'm not saying he will make it, that's the difference here, you are stating basically as a fact, he's done here. how on earth do you know?

Some of our fans have the most bizarre attitudes to young footballers. It really is you are Rooney or you are crap.

Not saying that at all, and I fully regard the likes of Hibbert and Osman as successes. Even Davies is a success, but if the club is to crack the top 6, then it needs players who are better than those three and who are regular international standard. It's hard to see how someone who has made a solitary senior appearance in a dead European game by the age of 21 as fitting that bill.

I only find it alarming if you’re not 1st team material at 21 it’s impossible you ever will be.

Everton have a track record of 'young' players hanging around in limbo of being nowhere near the first team and not being moved on. Garbutt, Pennington, Foulds, Browning, Galloway, Broadhead, Connolly, Williams. The list is huge, and much bigger than those who have miraculously turned into first teamers at a late age (Osman).

I don't know, I think he has more about him than Lewin when he first came into the team..

This is what Unsworth said about him.

“He’s a top young player and one of the best players I’ve worked with at this level. I hope he goes on and has a wonderful career because his ability certainly deserves that.”

Broadhead is also a big Evertonian, and he could easily have more of an output than Walcott.

It's strange how our manager doesn't seem to rate him as highly as Unsworth isn't it? Was he on the bench once last season? Few minutes here or there? Sent out on loan to gain experience?

Not saying that at all, and I fully regard the likes of Hibbert and Osman as successes. Even Davies is a success, but if the club is to crack the top 6, then it needs players who are better than those three and who are regular international standard. It's hard to see how someone who has made a solitary senior appearance in a dead European game by the age of 21 as fitting that bill.

Everton have a track record of 'young' players hanging around in limbo of being nowhere near the first team and not being moved on. Garbutt, Pennington, Foulds, Browning, Galloway, Broadhead, Connolly, Williams. The list is huge, and much bigger than those who have miraculously turned into first teamers at a late age (Osman).

It's strange how our manager doesn't seem to rate him as highly as Unsworth isn't it? Was he on the bench once last season? Few minutes here or there? Sent out on loan to gain experience?

Yeh, so what if we have a track record for that, every club does, why does that mean it applies to this lad?

Yeh, so what if we have a track record for that, every club does, why does that mean it applies to this lad?

There's no evidence regarding his ability in senior football, so you have to look at the club's track record don't you? We haven't produced a player who has won a decent number of England caps for a very long time. Indeed, unless I'm mistaken, since Rooney left in 2004, Everton youth products have earned 33 England caps (1 for Osman, 3 for Rodwell, 29 for Barkley). To have generated 1 player from the youth team that could improve our current squad in 15 years is hardly great, is it?

There's no evidence regarding his ability in senior football, so you have to look at the club's track record don't you? We haven't produced a player who has won a decent number of England caps for a very long time. Indeed, unless I'm mistaken, since Rooney left in 2004, Everton youth products have earned 33 England caps (1 for Osman, 3 for Rodwell, 29 for Barkley). To have generated 1 player from the youth team that could improve our current squad in 15 years is hardly great, is it?

Sorry but why do you have to earn international caps to be good enough to play for Everton? When’s that ever been the criteria.

Maybe we don’t just make intransigent sweeping statements and see what the lad can do eh.

Sorry but why do you have to earn international caps to be good enough to play for Everton? When’s that ever been the criteria.

Maybe we don’t just make intransigent sweeping statements and see what the lad can do eh.

Because we're looking to push for a place in the top 6. How many players represent those above us that aren't regulars in their international squads? This lads a striker, right? Look at the strikers representing Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City, and then ask yourself if a lad who doesn't even get into the Welsh senior squad is going to be what we need to challenge those teams.

Lest we forget, the kid at Liverpool is 18 and already has 10 Welsh caps. The kid playing in Germany is 19 and has a couple. The competition is Sam Vokes from Stoke and Derby's Tom Lawrence, both of whom are chuggers.

Because we're looking to push for a place in the top 6. How many players represent those above us that aren't regulars in their international squads? This lads a striker, right? Look at the strikers representing Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City, and then ask yourself if a lad who doesn't even get into the Welsh senior squad is going to be what we need to challenge those teams.

He’s made the squad for Wales and no, he’s a winger, so maybe you need to watch him before proclaiming he’s not good enough.

Hate him but at 21 van Dijk was playing for Groningen and didn’t make his international bow till he was 24. (Netherlands were a dreadful side back then as well so don’t say “but it’s the Dutch not Wales”)

Status
Not open for further replies.