Name the best Everton lineup you’ve seen in your lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian Heath is massively underrated. He didn't even make that Everton all-time greats team line-up that this site was flogging recently. Baffled by that. He is omitted and the likes of Seamus and Arteta gets in. Nah, sorry, not having that. He was a far more significant player in our history. That cup semi goal versus Southampton or the Kevin Brock special alone makes him an icon.
Love our Inchy,you look at the legacy he left and some fantastic memories and goals, the obvious ones Oxford/Southampton,but what a game he had for us in the 5-0 v Man U,also how he returned after Marwood clipped his wings scoring some great/vital goals in the 1987 title season.

Love our Inchy,you look at the legacy he left and some fantastic memories and goals, the obvious ones Oxford/Southampton,but what a game he had for us in the 5-0 v Man U,also how he returned after Marwood clipped his wings scoring some great/vital goals in the 1987 title season.
He was a brilliant player, in many ways a microcosm of that team: technical but also tenacious.

He was a bundle of intelligent energy, a catalyst for that side. I loved Andy Gray, but Andy, to me, was like the perfect dressing room player, a superb alternative from the bench (as he was getting on). Inchy was first choice and capable of playing with anyone. Sharp and Heath were the focal points of that team. That flicked header he netted in the last minute of the 3-1 win over United in the autumn of 1986 was a wonderful example of his brilliance - and a redemption of sorts for a player who was forced out of so much of the glory he deserved.

This

Nothing else has got near it. Inchy sub. Great little player
The great thing about this is that our greatest-ever side had great players who wouldn't be guaranteed a starting place. Andy Gray only got in because Heath got injured. Kevin Richardson, who would go on to win two titles at Arsenal, was another super player who wasn't assured of a place. There was no better utility player than Alan Harper. In an era of one sub, this shows you that we had a certain depth. Today? We've got about seven good players, a few passengers, and nothing to come off the bench.

This is why we are unlikely to break the top four and outsiders, at best, to trouble the top six.

Reactions: Lao
The other thing I'd say is that when you've seen the side of the 80s, all the teams and pretty much all of the players who followed were always going to be poor imitations. I realise this sounds a little Grampa Simpson, but it is what it is. I see names like Arteta and Jagielka and dear old Seamus mentioned as greats and I think that these were all good players but...really? Greats? Won nothing.

The only player I have seen since the 1980s side that excited me and touched me like they did was the young Rooney and he wasn't with us long enough to become legendary like they did. Again, won nothing with us. And then a certain Colombian galactico arrived... Technically, he is different class to probably ALL of them in my time. He's also won more than all the rest of them ever did, but can he win something with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.