My thoughts on the possible signing of Landon Donovan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reread this entire thread just so I could get my fap on.

...NOW

LCAB can you tell me good things about Dempsey coming to EFC. It will be my afternoon delight

ya ever see those movies where two owners claim the ownership of a dog and they both stand in the room and call it to see who dog goes to ? That's our Landon right now. Loyal to his original owner who raised him, fed him and groomed him into the beast he is now, but deep down, he really wants to just run to his newer, more fun and loving owner.

We can teach this old dog new tricks and he wants to learn. Donovan knows he's wasted in the MLS. Once he set foot on the turf at the Old Lady, he was smitten..in fact , the moment e walked into Finch Farm and met Fizzer, Cahill and the back room staff, he was smitten !! Then once the fans met him... well the rest was history !!

From a business perspective, Donovan moving on makes perfect sense, from both sides. We get him and it raises our marketing profile along with our footballing prowess - States side . You have to remember, LA Galaxy aren't just some suburban soccer Sunday kick about team supported by over excited soccer moms in Ford Explorers. They are one the biggest names in sports in the USA and Landon's name and visage promotes that globally. But what happens when the poster boy starts looking starry eyed to far flung shores ? Do they push the panic button and throw money at him or do they discard him and put him up for sale ? To release Landon now would help Galaxy two fold, it would put their name in the spotlight globally.. Firstly, one of THEM is coming here and not vica versa and secondly, it would show the watching world that they aren't just an easy pay day for 'superstars' on their last legs ( Beckham, Keane..) To be taken seriously as a footballing enterprise, letting Donovan go would be the ideal spring board for them. Move away from over exposed Spice Boys and get back to basics of grass roots soccer players who could one day be the new breed of Landon Donovans, Dempseys, Howards.... Some times you have to rip off the band aide to let the wound breath and heal properly .

New Grant Wahl article on Landon talking retirement

Hi everyone, first post here.

Anyway, I saw this earlier today as well, and in my mind it's more evidence that Landon needs a change of scenery. I think he's tired of MLS, tired of always being considered the "face of American soccer" while playing stateside, wishes he could live some of the Everton greatness on a more permanent basis, and really, a change of scenery might revitalize him as he has plenty of football left in him.

Gotta be tough going from experiencing Everton for a 2nd time, to playing on currently one of the worst clubs in MLS, who might be out of the playoffs altogether by the time he returns from USNT duty in a few weeks. He might literally have nothing to play for. Wouldn't that kill anyone else's excitement?

My guess is he's just extremely depressed with his current club situation, is tired of being held hostage by MLS, but was able to put up with it while LAG were winning. Now, they almost have no chance at make the playoffs, and I'd think that chance will be gone as Landon, Keane and Becks are all leaving for a good chunk of time. If Landon came to Everton, you'd see the same energetic, attacking, creative player we all saw a few months ago.

To me, that entire article is another indication he is gone from LA at the end of this year. No coincidence that the rumored time period for the Everton deal is two years - which puts him at right about his "end game" that he mentions in that article.

Also, if the Everton deal falls through - don't know what that means for him post 2014.

Wow.

Hi everyone, first post here.

Anyway, I saw this earlier today as well, and in my mind it's more evidence that Landon needs a change of scenery. I think he's tired of MLS, tired of always being considered the "face of American soccer" while playing stateside, wishes he could live some of the Everton greatness on a more permanent basis, and really, a change of scenery might revitalize him as he has plenty of football left in him. If Landon came to Everton, you'd see the same energetic, attacking, creative player we all saw a few months ago.

Grant Wahl agrees with you:
Grant Wahl â€￾@GrantWahl
@adamserrano Don't think it's coincidence he played his best soccer since WC at Everton--hunger was back.

Sounds like he is pining for Goodison if you ask me....

I'll be honest, I've seen the Galaxy a few times this year and he has looked a little disinterested almost, not sure if that is the right way to look at it. His comments seem to back it up a little though.

If Landon's swansong World Cup appearance is indeed 2014,, where better to ply his trade and keep that match sharpness and football brain of his fully ticking over than the EPL ? He saw how it worked last time around with two months of experience of 'top flight soccer' , he can only imgaine how he'd be if he had almost TWO seasons of experience under his belt !!

ya ever see those movies where two owners claim the ownership of a dog and they both stand in the room and call it to see who dog goes to ? That's our Landon right now. Loyal to his original owner who raised him, fed him and groomed him into the beast he is now, but deep down, he really wants to just run to his newer, more fun and loving owner.

We can teach this old dog new tricks and he wants to learn. Donovan knows he's wasted in the MLS. Once he set foot on the turf at the Old Lady, he was smitten..in fact , the moment e walked into Finch Farm and met Fizzer, Cahill and the back room staff, he was smitten !! Then once the fans met him... well the rest was history !!

From a business perspective, Donovan moving on makes perfect sense, from both sides. We get him and it raises our marketing profile along with our footballing prowess - States side . You have to remember, LA Galaxy aren't just some suburban soccer Sunday kick about team supported by over excited soccer moms in Ford Explorers. They are one the biggest names in sports in the USA and Landon's name and visage promotes that globally. But what happens when the poster boy starts looking starry eyed to far flung shores ? Do they push the panic button and throw money at him or do they discard him and put him up for sale ? To release Landon now would help Galaxy two fold, it would put their name in the spotlight globally.. Firstly, one of THEM is coming here and not vica versa and secondly, it would show the watching world that they aren't just an easy pay day for 'superstars' on their last legs ( Beckham, Keane..) To be taken seriously as a footballing enterprise, letting Donovan go would be the ideal spring board for them. Move away from over exposed Spice Boys and get back to basics of grass roots soccer players who could one day be the new breed of Landon Donovans, Dempseys, Howards.... Some times you have to rip off the band aide to let the wound breath and heal properly .

LA Galaxy aren't even one of the top 100 names in sports in USA. Barely a blip in the radar. Otherwise, I agree with most of what you said.

swap him for cahill

This is not a bad idea. I have always seen MLS as a good fit for Tim. Aussies do well here, in general, and culturally he will fit in. He will probably enjoy not being "Tim Cahill" in public for a while. And you will see his goal scoring touch bounce back. He will pump in a ton of goals for most MLS teams. Question is, can he play up front with Robbie Keane?

my biggest fear in all this is that, despite the different excited theories from each of us, we are all going to be disappointed.

How much money do we have to spend? How much is Donovan going to cost? Do we have enough for Landy AND Pienaar? What about a back up striker? Who is going to have to be sold to generate cash? Will we be waiting until deadline day again???

I love being an Evertonian, I love the club, my fellow blues, EVERYTHING about it...but my gut feeling is that this summer is going to be one of disappointment.

Right now, forgive me for saying, but I think the only deal we can expect is the Pienaar one, and nothing more :(

Cheer me up boys, im feeling 'glass half empty'...

Lando needs to come back to Goodison full time to get the fire back. Even the fans on the US boards think this. He's done everything he can in MLS, has numerous awards and accomplishments with US National team. He loves being an Evertonian and I think he is going to realize he is going to have to push for the move sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.