Moyes record on strikers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Jarvis

Player Valuation: £35m
Moyes tactics seem to consist of playing 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 very rarely does he adopt 4-4-2. This means club needs a striker capable of playing that role of lonesome scorer. He needs IMO to have some pace, good control, be able to put himself about and score goals. The last one of course depends on the ball service.

So regarding our strikers past and present but leaving out Anichebe and Vaughan because they were home grown.

Johnson - quite fast but utterly lightweight, apparently signed on the basis of number of goals scored at his previous club. However half of those were penalties so does not say much for open play scoring. He seemed to do okay at first but really did go off and his shortcomings came to the fore. Not really a success at Fulham either.

Beattie - Similar to Johnson but was never a player for the lone striker role more of an old fashioned inside forward. Okay poked a few goals in but quite definitely was not a success here or for that matter in any of his subsequent clubs.

Yakubu - Started off very well but then came that injury. I feel though that those areas which pissed off the Boro fans are coming out in games since returning from injury. Lazy, does not like to chase but could be largely down to injury after effects.

Jo - Only on loan thank goddness. As a striker awful. Hope he does go back.

Saha - Took a chance on him and came good. A class player and a goal scorer. Seemed to be able to take on the lone striker role quite well. But looks like his day are numbered.

In summary of this no doubt you will like to add but IMO Moyes does not seem to be able to pick out decent strikers unlike his ability to find defenders. We need TBH some one like Torres, Drogba and if we had not had that problem Rooney would still be here and filling that role. I look now at the strikers we are being linked to and they don't seem to meet upto the needs of a lonesome striker either, one can't say we go cheap look how much Yak cost!

Moyes record on strikers is quite definitely poor.

Moyes tactics seem to consist of playing 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 very rarely does he adopt 4-4-2. This means club needs a striker capable of playing that role of lonesome scorer. He needs IMO to have some pace, good control, be able to put himself about and score goals. The last one of course depends on the ball service.

So regarding our strikers past and present but leaving out Anichebe and Vaughan because they were home grown.

Johnson - quite fast but utterly lightweight, apparently signed on the basis of number of goals scored at his previous club. However half of those were penalties so does not say much for open play scoring. He seemed to do okay at first but really did go off and his shortcomings came to the fore. Not really a success at Fulham either.

Beattie - Similar to Johnson but was never a player for the lone striker role more of an old fashioned inside forward. Okay poked a few goals in but quite definitely was not a success here or for that matter in any of his subsequent clubs.

Yakubu - Started off very well but then came that injury. I feel though that those areas which pissed off the Boro fans are coming out in games since returning from injury. Lazy, does not like to chase but could be largely down to injury after effects.

Jo - Only on loan thank goddness. As a striker awful. Hope he does go back.

Saha - Took a chance on him and came good. A class player and a goal scorer. Seemed to be able to take on the lone striker role quite well. But looks like his day are numbered.

In summary of this no doubt you will like to add but IMO Moyes does not seem to be able to pick out decent strikers unlike his ability to find defenders. We need TBH some one like Torres, Drogba and if we had not had that problem Rooney would still be here and filling that role. I look now at the strikers we are being linked to and they don't seem to meet upto the needs of a lonesome striker either, one can't say we go cheap look how much Yak cost!

Moyes record on strikers is quite definitely poor.

could it be a case of knowing your own positon best?
good post quite true when you actually thiunk about it

I don't know if we can be too harsh on him. Beattie didn't set the world on fire but we didn't have that much cash at the time so it's not easy to guarantee success for that kind of money. I think AJ was signed to play with Beattie rather than on his own, and he was at the time an England international and I doubt anyone was complaining about him after the derby.

Yakubu has had a very good record up until his injury, an injury that would knock many players. I don't think you can blame Moyes for him not hitting the heights since he's been back.

Likewise with Jo. 5 in 13 last season was not a bad return at all. He hasn't performed this year and looks out the door now.

I don't think his record is that bad. We've always been a team that has got goals from all over the pitch. Considering Cahill, Arteta and Pienaar were signed for around £6m between them I think we can cut him some slack that he didn't manage to sign a best in the world calibre striker ala Torres or Drogba.

imo moyes does not build the team and tactic around strikers. He's just asking our striker to fight for scraps. Do you think saha, yak and jo will flourish with high crosses? No!
All of them works best with ball to feet and we're not playing to their strength. Our current approach only suit cahill and if he's [Poor language removed] we look very poor.

best striker we had for 451 was marcus bent
but just need someone with power and strength with some creativity behind
saha is doing well but chamakh would be good also vaughan did okay on saturday

Bruce I do not mean a best in the world striker but someone in the mode of those mentioned. I do not think I am being harsh in my post but giving my view as I see it.

Axl your post brings us back to a favourite tactic - hoofball and expect the striker to get on the end of it.

We play 4-5-1 because we don't have the midfielders available to play 4-4-2. I think Moyes will experiment more with it when everyone is back.

RT this thread is about Moyes record not past strikers under other managers.

By the way when we did have the players available Moyes remained with his 4-5-1.

RT this thread is about Moyes record not past strikers under other managers.

By the way when we did have the players available Moyes remained with his 4-5-1.

Not really. We've never had Bily before this season, and not had Arteta available to play with him.
Something like
Bilyaletdinov-Arteta-Fellaini-Pienaar

Dont even mention Osman.

Can we really talk in terms of formation though? I mean Chelsea over the last few years have tended to play 4-3-3, just as Barca have, yet one is the most attractive team in the world whilst the other tends to win through strength and efficiency rather than beauty. The players make the system rather than the other way round and with our results over the past 4-5 seasons it baffles me how we can critisize the approach Moyes has taken. We have had next to no money and he's worked largely with scraps to make us a real force again. Who knows how we'd play if we had loadsa money, but we don't, so have to make do with what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.