Moyes' Cup Record (a comparison)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big stat that Sylvain mentioned on twitter yesterday, that we've only lost 7 in our last 50 league games, is super important.
Yes there are just far far far too many draws there. but that's the difference between us and a team comfortably in champs league positions.
Moyes mentioned yesterday how the only puzzle piece he's really missing is that 15-20 goal striker, which is obviously easy to say, every team would love that, but imagine we had someone to connect with Baines offering the most chances in the whole of europe
madness.

Moyes lack of silverware is due to an inherent flaw and he will never win a cup.

Because ultimately we face teams who come the quarters and the semis raise a gear (wigan, reading, the RS, chelsea) and we don't. We're working at 100% in the league frankly and that extra gear for cup games just isn't there. It's the same with derbies, it's the same with europe, it's the same with away games at the big grounds, whenever our usual game isn't enough and we need an extra level we can't find it.

I remember Joe Royle and Royle's team stepped up, Moyes' team doesn't. Now probably the fact that we play league games vs the big 4 in the league as if it's a cup final is why we do better in the league then our fiannces would predict but it also means we don't step it up and the other teams too. We have a terrible cup record in terms of losing to lower league and relegation threatened teams and we have a pretty bad record at beating the top teams in cups compared to how often we do it in the league, we can't raise our game and so we're not going to win a trophy. And that is all on Moyes,

I think I would rather a manager who can get 100% out of his players every week than a manager who only gets 90% in the league and 100% only in a big cup game. If players are able to raise their game for a quarter final, semi final or even the final itself, then they are cheating you every other week

I think I would rather a manager who can get 100% out of his players every week than a manager who only gets 90% in the league and 100% only in a big cup game. If players are able to raise their game for a quarter final, semi final or even the final itself, then they are cheating you every other week

Well yeah but it's physically impossible to play your best game every week. You can't do it.

You ask somebody to run through brick walls in a home league game against qpr and they won't be capable of doing the same three days later.

Well yeah but it's physically impossible to play your best game every week. You can't do it.

You ask somebody to run through brick walls in a home league game against qpr and they won't be capable of doing the same three days later.

They maybe won't be able to run through the brick wall again 3 days later, but I would expect them to give100% trying to do it. And the other managers with their much bigger squads should expect it too, since they can rotate players a lot more than us.
I'm not saying that the players should be capable of playing their best football every week, only that they should be giving 100% effort every week. If they leave anything in reserve for "bigger" games, then they are just cheating you and their team mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.