Mike Walker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually met him at Bellefield on my first trip to Liverpool back in 1990. I was staying with my dad's cousin in Crosby and she arranged to have me attend a training session (I was a sports writer back in the day). Her son Robbie pestered me to get a certain player's autograph (I think it was Neil McDonald, but really can't remember for sure). Anyway, after watching the team train (and getting a couple of curious glances my way, especially from Southall), I had a chance to chat with Walker afterward. As I was leaving, I remembered the autograph request and, to my surprise, he took the book in and got it signed. A class move. The fact he was in over his head as Everton manager doesn't detract from that.
Basic manners are not 'class' and neither was his management. What a complete duffer he was.

I actually met him at Bellefield on my first trip to Liverpool back in 1990. I was staying with my dad's cousin in Crosby and she arranged to have me attend a training session (I was a sports writer back in the day). Her son Robbie pestered me to get a certain player's autograph (I think it was Neil McDonald, but really can't remember for sure). Anyway, after watching the team train (and getting a couple of curious glances my way, especially from Southall), I had a chance to chat with Walker afterward. As I was leaving, I remembered the autograph request and, to my surprise, he took the book in and got it signed. A class move. The fact he was in over his head as Everton manager doesn't detract from that.
1990?

Doubt too many will want to watch it, but Walker did an interview for the club a couple years back reflecting on his time here.

Funny to see that old video of Ferguson and Ian Durrant. Durrant actually had much more potential, but he got a horror injury. Totally different type of player of course.

I remember being way more excited about Durrant. I think it was based on seeing him boss the midfield when Rangers beat Leeds at Elland road. Don't actually remember any of his games for us though.

The worst Everton side I have ever witnessed under this man.

The amount of people that cry about Martinez/Koeman/Silva's last seasons are lucky if they never witnessed this abomination.

The worst Everton side I have ever witnessed under this man.

The amount of people that cry about Martinez/Koeman/Silva's last seasons are lucky if they never witnessed this abomination.
As bad as that team was at least when push came to shove against Wimbledon most of them showed up on the day and did show some feeling for the club.
Some of our players on the books now I doubt would give a monkey's if we went down.

I remember being way more excited about Durrant. I think it was based on seeing him boss the midfield when Rangers beat Leeds at Elland road. Don't actually remember any of his games for us though.
He had been done by that point. Some dirty Aberdeen player destroyed his knee. Ray Wilkins used to rave about how good Durrant was.

A perfect example of someone who got a bit lucky with a famous win (Bayern) then gets thrown completely out of his depth. He was like a rabbit in the headlights from day 1.

Would like to have seen Trevor Steven come back in 1994. He was over the hill by then but would have been a nice throwback to better days. Think Dave Watson and Big Nev were the only surviving members of the 86/87 title side by then.

That side was truly shocking: John Oster, Mitch Ward, Gareth Farrelly, Mitch Ward, Danny Williamson, Claus Thomsen, Carl Tiler and possibly John Spencer. Truly sure!
Amazingly we still took four points off the RS!

Those four points kept us up...thanks RS!

John Spencer did sign for us that season and lets not forget we were so desperate we brought back a 33 year old well over the hill Peter Beagrie on loan.

Last edited:
Remember something about his name being mispelt on his debut ?? Could be wrong like.

Status
Not open for further replies.