Mike Walker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember them playing "things can only get better" at full time after we lost at home to QPR.

Desperate start to the season. God bless Gary Tablet with the diving header against the Hammers for the first win that season that seemed to take forever.

I remember that West Ham home game very well mate. We got battered but somehow got a result. I recall Lee Chapman missing an absolute sitter in stoppage time and a few fans trying to invade the pitch at the end having seen us finally get our first win of the season.

Amazing that we actually stayed up having not won a game until November.

From reading Ian Snodin’s book, the players had no respect for him and thought he was a bell. Funny story was when Walker told bellefield staff to paint his initials ‘MW’ on the manager’s parking space, even though all the players and staff knew it was the manager’s space. The next morning Mark Ward parked his car there, and Walker didn’t see the funny side.

Funny to see that old video of Ferguson and Ian Durrant. Durrant actually had much more potential, but he got a horror injury. Totally different type of player of course.

....peanuts compared to today’s money. He wasn’t very good. A mate of mine exchanged words in the car park at Bellefield and he honestly didn’t have a clue.

From memory, I think his appointment is still a ‘lesson learned’ of a manager who inherited (rather than built) a decent team at Norwich.
He just sunbathed as the players trained ..... a charleston - I posted a rare photo of him in goal for Wolves on the old photo thread... shame to say he was connected to us......

I remember that West Ham home game very well mate. We got battered but somehow got a result. I recall Lee Chapman missing an absolute sitter in stoppage time and a few fans trying to invade the pitch at the end having seen us finally get our first win of the season.

Amazing that we actually stayed up having not won a game until November.

It was a midweek night game wasn't it?

I got dogs abuse from the rs in my class all day before the match and I was sick with worry needing a win to stick it to them when I walked into form in the morning.

We were absolutely awful before Big Joe came in, worse than anything since.

I got dogs abuse from the rs in my class all day before the match and I was sick with worry needing a win to stick it to them when I walked into form in the morning.

Should have kept big joe on , set the club back years when he went.

Apparently, walker never actually did anything at all with regards to work. As a previous poster said he just used to sunbathe at the top of the stairs outside the managers office

I remember them playing "things can only get better" at full time after we lost at home to QPR.

Desperate start to the season. God bless Gary Tablet with the diving header against the Hammers for the first win that season that seemed to take forever.
Remember that game well it was Bonfire night !! and the crowd started whistling for the final whistle with about ten minutes left.

The turnaround was real Roy of the Rovers stuff. I had got so much grief off the RS fans leading up to the derby.

Then we battered them. :)

Thanks Big Joe.

He was clueless, I wasted over five minutes arguing with Barry Horne coming down the stairs from The Upper Bullens Stand, with Barry telling me he will get it right and me telling Barry, in a nice way, that the longer Walker stays the worse trouble we would be in, it was only a short stay by Walker but long enough to make him the worst manager we have ever had, by a long way. Did he ever manage anyone else after the mess he made of “ managing “ us?
He was certainly a special manager - I doubt we've ever had anyone so out of their depth or just plain ignorant of the job at hand, prob going back to 1878. But he's nowhere near the worst manager we have ever had in terms of damage to the club or taking it backwards. He tried his best, like, with an absolutely hair-raising brush with relegation, but overall it was just a weird anomaly of a manager who we got shut of quickly, and whose main legacy is actually signing three of our best players of the 90s (low bar like) - Ferguson, Limpar, and Parkinson.

Compare that with evil-doers like Martinez or Koeman who made a sow's arse out of a silk purse, threw millions upon millions at complete dross that is hanging off our teats to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.