Mike Walker

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst Everton side I have ever witnessed under this man.

The amount of people that cry about Martinez/Koeman/Silva's last seasons are lucky if they never witnessed this abomination.

True, though Koeman was approaching or indeed level with his incompetence at the end.

That European group was the worst you will ever see from this club. Undisciplined and unmotivated garbage.

Fair play to Walker he came across as decent and honest about him being lets say a bit lazy at Bellefield. Yes it was a truly awful team and time, I will never forget that Wimbledon game. It is true that many left the main stand at 2-0 down.

He really should've gone after that infamous 0-2 home defeat to a very poor Coventry side a month earlier when they beat us without breaking sweat, yet, bizarrely, some in the Gwladys Street were chanting 'there's only one Mike Walker' that day as another loss loomed. That maybe got him a stay of execution.

That 0-2 against Coventry was only the second game I ever went to. Truly dire. The only players who seemed to bothered that day were Unsworth, Ferguson and Amokachi.

It was a million miles away from the feel-good factor Joe Royle brought in only a few weeks later.

That side was truly shocking: John Oster, Mitch Ward, Gareth Farrelly, Mitch Ward, Danny Williamson, Claus Thomsen, Carl Tiler and possibly John Spencer. Truly sure!
Amazingly we still took four points off the RS!
We get relegated with that side and we're dead and buried - climbed out of our grave that season. Club was on its back off and on the pitch.

The Wimbledon game was a much more dramatic game of football, but we'd have come straight back up had we lost IMO. Big Joe turns that one around no prob.

Still paying it if recent debacles are anything to go by.
He was an unmitigated disaster from word go.
EFC once again trying to be clever by getting the next big thing all down to a couple of stand out results and bigged up by TV.
He took Norwich to third in the league like.
No idea how, as he looked like a competition winner with us, but at some point he must have had half a clue.

No idea how, as he looked like a competition winner with us, but at some point he must have had half a clue.
Like someone said earlier he actually did marvels with the majority of the team he inherited, so he must get credit for that. I always maintain he was possibly the first manager who was built up by the football media as being something he wasn't, and that was someone who could do well in a consistent manner at an established top club.
We fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Same with Koeman though.

Sometimes a manager just has the right blend and it works. But they cannot repeat it elsewhere and they fail miserably due to expectations.

Walker at Everton
Koeman at Everton
Moyes at United

All of these cases are managers who changed too much too soon, or just thought the job would be easier than expected.

Same with Koeman though.

Sometimes a manager just has the right blend and it works. But they cannot repeat it elsewhere and they fail miserably due to expectations.

Walker at Everton
Koeman at Everton
Moyes at United

All of these cases are managers who changed too much too soon, or just thought the job would be easier than expected.
Just on Moyes. As someone who saw the successive failures at Utd after Busby, Moyes knew full well he would follow the same path. He followed the money. Hardly set the football world on fire since.

It's marginal either way.

If Walker had of stayed in charge, I am almost certain he would have taken us down easily.

I agree he'd have taken us down had he stayed mate, however, the 94 side was, imo, a mid-table side abysmally managed, whereas 97/98 was mainly a team of duffers who really should've been relegated.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.