2022/23 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, Lampard got it right.

Look objectively at the first half. Mina was excellent, in every facet of play. The penalty (for instance) was all the more frustrating because Mina already had the threat of the shot completely covered. He's a genuinely talented player and an entertaining snide as well. Stick him alongside Tarkowski and *gasp* our defence looked solid. Even Holgate was widely acknowledged as putting in a decent shift - not a surprise, given that he was alongside two rock-solid performers.

That's why Mina plays ahead of Keane whenever there's a choice. Keane spreads panic whenever he plays.

Would I advocate for keeping Mina? No. His injury history is beyond ridiculous. With our payroll issues and urgent needs elsewhere in the squad, he's a luxury we can't afford. BUT he's obviously not generating any interest from any other club, so if he's staying then he needs to be playing. There's zero sense in keeping him employed by the club but never playing him.

With the new rules about subs what I would do is start Mina whenever he's fit, but replace him during half-time. Go into the second half with four remaining subs and three "windows", and keep Mina fit to start the next game - maybe someone would take a gamble on him in January as a consequence.
Teams need partnerships. Chopping and changing our centre halves to accommodate Mina every now and again is likely to be very detrimental to the overall defence. He either needs to play all of the time or none. Making a half here or a game there doesn't help us in the long run even if he is a good player when he's fit.

So if he is 5th choice why has this thread got so nany posts, about a player who isn't really relevant right now?
It's a reflection on the fan base, a bad one

It’s because we all know that we’re now one injury or suspension from one of the worst CBs in the league coming back into the team.

It’s a bit like the Davies Siggurdson argument under Carlo. ‘They’re fine as squad players as they won’t play much ahead of Allan Doucoure James’, a few weeks later and all three are injured and our midfield is exactly as rubbish as it was before.

We know that the combination of Keane Holgate Coleman doesn’t work. In the space of one game we’ve lost Godfrey and Mina so Holgate is already back in and Keane is next cab off the rank. It will only take one injury or suspension to Tarkowski and the same clown show back line that almost saw us relegated will be out in force again probably for a crucial game like a derby or cup match.

Teams need partnerships. Chopping and changing our centre halves to accommodate Mina every now and again is likely to be very detrimental to the overall defence. He either needs to play all of the time or none. Making a half here or a game there doesn't help us in the long run even if he is a good player when he's fit.
Yep, I agree. That's the rationale for selling him.

But no-one is likely to buy him, or at least it looks that way. So do we:

1) repeatedly let him break down with injuries by trying to get him to regularly play 90 mins;

2) manage his game time carefully in the hope of maximising his minutes on the pitch; or

3) just never play him, and pay him over £100k p/w to sit at home in joggers playing FIFA?

Let's hope we can secure a loan were most of the salary (or part of it) will be covered by another club.

I agree to play Coleman or Myko in the back three before him. He is terrible and unrealiable.

Keane will be sold, if anybody ever bids.

Have you considered emailing clubs?
Why would I? According to you half the clubs in the Prem would be all over him if he was offered around at £10m.

In reality, I suspect his agent has been trying to drum up interest ever since the club gave them the heads-up about Tarkowski joining.

You have to sell him really if there is genuine interest in him. He's one of very, VERY few players we could actually get a fee for, and a not too bad one at that. I reckon we could sell for £10m easily.

Why would I? According to you half the clubs in the Prem would be all over him if he was offered around at £10m.

In reality, I suspect his agent has been trying to drum up interest ever since the club gave them the heads-up about Tarkowski joining.
20m is his price, email the fella at United, they buy anybody.

Yep, I agree. That's the rationale for selling him.

But no-one is likely to buy him, or at least it looks that way. So do we:

1) repeatedly let him break down with injuries by trying to get him to regularly play 90 mins;

2) manage his game time carefully in the hope of maximising his minutes on the pitch; or

3) just never play him, and pay him over £100k p/w to sit at home in joggers playing FIFA?
I doubt we'll play many games where we'll be comfortable enough to withdraw him early by choice and bringing him on cold to a fast moving game as a sub is likely to see him explode.

Honestly, if we're solid enough at the back in his absence after the new signings, I'd make him chief cheerleader without the somersaults.

Myko and Coleman could play in a 3.. not saying they will but it’s a possibility. If anyone wants to give us money for Keane we simply have to deal. Tarkowski and Coady rarely injured, it’s a gamble I’d take tbh

Agree with this. If someone wants to come in and take Keane off our hands we'd be silly not to. The guy is pish.

Not only that, but he is on a ludicrously long contract. He's not one we can just bide our time on.

Status
Not open for further replies.