2021/22 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Keane doesn't like loud noises.

Walking error machine, his distribution from the back is fraught with danger. My pet hate is seeing him under no pressure under the high ball and heading it aimlessly into the centre circle. A proper centre half brings it down and finds a man.

Should be out the door when we get the chance. Another duff signing from a bygone era

Michael Keane doesn't like loud noises.

Walking error machine, his distribution from the back is fraught with danger. My pet hate is seeing him under no pressure under the high ball and heading it aimlessly into the centre circle. A proper centre half brings it down and finds a man.

Should be out the door when we get the chance. Another duff signing from a bygone era
His distribution is generally fine.

Its his decision making when deciding where to distribute the ball that is the issue.

Why on earth is he doing fake passing moves in our own half?

My dad absolutely hates the fella. And while I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate him, I can't stand the bloody sight of the big dopey galoot looking like he's never kicked a football in his life or had the chance to work with some genuinely big-name managers! No way he should be anywhere near the squad at all, even as a sub to ease up the game, as you know he'd fluff a clearance straight to their player or end up smashing it into his own net.

His distribution is generally fine.

Its his decision making when deciding where to distribute the ball that is the issue.

Why on earth is he doing fake passing moves in our own half?

If he can't decide where to distribute the ball, that is part of his distribution, so it's not generally fine.

Sure when he's got ten seconds to pick a pass he can do it. But press him on the ball and he can't work it out. Not good. Not good at all.

Scared of the fans.
That's exactly what it is.

Our final 9 games of the season post league suspension posters here were gushing over how hard he'd worked with his old UTD coaches and finally looked like a very good central defender.

Last season, people were making up sea-shantys about him.

First game back, a notoriously 'edgy' home crowd and he let it get to him. Absolutely no confidence to play 2 options he had on, dithered and lost out.

I'm not sure you can coach confidence and self belief.

Pity.

Did well after?
I thought so. Covered for Coleman / Townsend / Iwobi on several occassions, making crucial blocks inside our box etc. I'm not saying he turned himself into Sergio Ramos, just saying he did well. As far as I could see from the comfort of my couch anyway.
2 similar errors 2nd half when he only just got to the ball when metres ahead of their forward
I don't remember him making many errors after. I do remember Armstrong going past him once and getting off a shot from a wide angle, but that was down to a terrible clearance from Coleman. In fact, I don't remember Southampton having hardly any real chances after that. I don't remember Keane making any errors even close to the same severity as the cock up, but even so it sounds like he got there and dealt with it.
Kicking the ball out of play for no reason
I attribute that to going to back to basics after making a cock up. Do it simple, play it safe etc. He was clearly caught in two minds when he screwed up so it just makes sense to me that he'd play it safer after that.

Pickford kicked the ball out for absolutely no reason like 4 times btw. It happens. First proper game of the season too, and the first game with people in the stands at Goodison since seemingly forever. Even pros can get nervous.
Heading the ball out of play when he could have brought it down
Again, when you cock it up the key is to go back to basics, stop thinking and just deal with it.
Out fought and out muscled by someone half his size
You mean Armstrong? I don't remember seeing him being outfought or outmuscled very often, but that low center of gravity can be a bitch to deal with for taller fellas. Cahill always seemed to be able to hold is own against much taller opponents for example.

Having Pickford and Holgate talk him through the game
I'm sure they talked, but talked him through the game? An experienced player like Keane? I seriously doubt it.

He simply had nothing to do after being switched with Holgate as he was a calamity.
Sometimes it makes sense to switch out, especially if a player is struggling with certain opponents. Happens all the time. Every player has his strengths and weaknesses, right?

Keane annoys [Poor language removed] out of me because he does have that brainfart once in a while, just like Yobo, Distin, Jagielka etc. used to have. But credit where credit is due and after watching the extended highlights I stand firm on him picking himself up and playing well after the cock up. And that's not when you pull players out of the team in my opinion. Of course, that's up to Rafael, he might still bench him, just saying I wouldn't.

We also switched players up front, moving Gray over to the left and moving Richarlison more to the right. Mostly because 'ole Richie couldn't get anything done on the left side against that 18-year old Chelsea loanee (Livramento?)

A very limited player but great at heading the ball away fom danger . But put him in a spot where he has to make a decision and he flaps his arms like a penguin trying to take off. :bye:

My dad absolutely hates the fella. And while I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate him, I can't stand the bloody sight of the big dopey galoot looking like he's never kicked a football in his life or had the chance to work with some genuinely big-name managers! No way he should be anywhere near the squad at all, even as a sub to ease up the game, as you know he'd fluff a clearance straight to their player or end up smashing it into his own net.
Good post, son.

I thought so. Covered for Coleman / Townsend / Iwobi on several occassions, making crucial blocks inside our box etc. I'm not saying he turned himself into Sergio Ramos, just saying he did well. As far as I could see from the comfort of my couch anyway.

I don't remember him making many errors after. I do remember Armstrong going past him once and getting off a shot from a wide angle, but that was down to a terrible clearance from Coleman. In fact, I don't remember Southampton having hardly any real chances after that. I don't remember Keane making any errors even close to the same severity as the cock up, but even so it sounds like he got there and dealt with it.

I attribute that to going to back to basics after making a cock up. Do it simple, play it safe etc. He was clearly caught in two minds when he screwed up so it just makes sense to me that he'd play it safer after that.

Pickford kicked the ball out for absolutely no reason like 4 times btw. It happens. First proper game of the season too, and the first game with people in the stands at Goodison since seemingly forever. Even pros can get nervous.

Again, when you cock it up the key is to go back to basics, stop thinking and just deal with it.

You mean Armstrong? I don't remember seeing him being outfought or outmuscled very often, but that low center of gravity can be a bitch to deal with for taller fellas. Cahill always seemed to be able to hold is own against much taller opponents for example.

I'm sure they talked, but talked him through the game? An experienced player like Keane? I seriously doubt it.

Sometimes it makes sense to switch out, especially if a player is struggling with certain opponents. Happens all the time. Every player has his strengths and weaknesses, right?

Keane annoys [Poor language removed] out of me because he does have that brainfart once in a while, just like Yobo, Distin, Jagielka etc. used to have. But credit where credit is due and after watching the extended highlights I stand firm on him picking himself up and playing well after the cock up. And that's not when you pull players out of the team in my opinion. Of course, that's up to Rafael, he might still bench him, just saying I wouldn't.

We also switched players up front, moving Gray over to the left and moving Richarlison more to the right. Mostly because 'ole Richie couldn't get anything done on the left side against that 18-year old Chelsea loanee (Livramento?)
Zat is genuinely saying he made an error later in the game because he *almost* got beat to a loose ball. Seriously.

That's exactly what it is.

Our final 9 games of the season post league suspension posters here were gushing over how hard he'd worked with his old UTD coaches and finally looked like a very good central defender.

Last season, people were making up sea-shantys about him.

First game back, a notoriously 'edgy' home crowd and he let it get to him. Absolutely no confidence to play 2 options he had on, dithered and lost out.

I'm not sure you can coach confidence and self belief.

Pity.
He made a massive error and responded to it by completely locking down the opponents for the entire second half and it is being used as evidence that he's not mentally strong

Status
Not open for further replies.