2021/22 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought so. Covered for Coleman / Townsend / Iwobi on several occassions, making crucial blocks inside our box etc. I'm not saying he turned himself into Sergio Ramos, just saying he did well. As far as I could see from the comfort of my couch anyway.

I don't remember him making many errors after. I do remember Armstrong going past him once and getting off a shot from a wide angle, but that was down to a terrible clearance from Coleman. In fact, I don't remember Southampton having hardly any real chances after that. I don't remember Keane making any errors even close to the same severity as the cock up, but even so it sounds like he got there and dealt with it.

I attribute that to going to back to basics after making a cock up. Do it simple, play it safe etc. He was clearly caught in two minds when he screwed up so it just makes sense to me that he'd play it safer after that.

Pickford kicked the ball out for absolutely no reason like 4 times btw. It happens. First proper game of the season too, and the first game with people in the stands at Goodison since seemingly forever. Even pros can get nervous.

Again, when you cock it up the key is to go back to basics, stop thinking and just deal with it.

You mean Armstrong? I don't remember seeing him being outfought or outmuscled very often, but that low center of gravity can be a bitch to deal with for taller fellas. Cahill always seemed to be able to hold is own against much taller opponents for example.

I'm sure they talked, but talked him through the game? An experienced player like Keane? I seriously doubt it.

Sometimes it makes sense to switch out, especially if a player is struggling with certain opponents. Happens all the time. Every player has his strengths and weaknesses, right?

Keane annoys [Poor language removed] out of me because he does have that brainfart once in a while, just like Yobo, Distin, Jagielka etc. used to have. But credit where credit is due and after watching the extended highlights I stand firm on him picking himself up and playing well after the cock up. And that's not when you pull players out of the team in my opinion. Of course, that's up to Rafael, he might still bench him, just saying I wouldn't.

We also switched players up front, moving Gray over to the left and moving Richarlison more to the right. Mostly because 'ole Richie couldn't get anything done on the left side against that 18-year old Chelsea loanee (Livramento?)

Disagree with Keane doing fine after the error...then his 'antics' after were just poor. I understand doing the basics after a mistake but i dont think doing the basics is booting balls out, being out muscled, heading balls out etc.

The error itself is mindblowing and if that hadnt happened but all the other things had i think we'd be saying he had a poor game anyway.

Also, remember he always plays right sided centre back as on the left he loses players and has to turn -- he waddled over to the right even when he was playing on the left...then made the error lol

I wonder why Benitez didnt recognise that from all the footage he must have seen...

Richarlison and Gray is an easy one as Gray is a left winger while Richarlison is an inside forward/centre forward...no clue why Gray was central? Strange choice.

Anyway, hopefully Salford need a centre back and sign Keane.

Zat is genuinely saying he made an error later in the game because he *almost* got beat to a loose ball. Seriously.

No. Im saying he froze again second half.

Their forward ran towards the ball (which was behind Keane) while Keane in slow motion waddled back...

He then pooped himself and sprinted back as his brain turned on (finally) that he was going to be beaten to the ball.

Quite frankly if you dont remember that heart stopping moment im not sure why youre commenting...

Youve just written this about Michael Keane.

Its weird lol
It's not though. He made a major error and responded by not putting a foot wrong. And no, beating Armstrong to that looseball by a yard was not an error as much as you want to act like it was.

What would you have preferred he did after screwing up?

Ok fine, I still feel like Saturday was a player responding well to adversity.

….he clearly has his ups and downs. I don’t think it’s a coincidence his good spell last season coincided with the birth of his first child as it’s known to give sportsmen a boost.

He’s fragile and unfortunately his physicality (immobile & slow) means mistake will contribute to that weakness. He’s got real strengths (arguably the best aerial defender in the club) but you really need to protect him and you shouldn’t be picking a side to counter your own failings.

….he clearly has his ups and downs. I don’t think it’s a coincidence his good spell last season coincided with the birth of his first child as it’s known to give sportsmen a boost.

He’s fragile and unfortunately his physicality (immobile & slow) means mistake will contribute to that weakness. He’s got real strengths (arguably the best aerial defender in the club) but you really need to protect him and you shouldn’t be picking a side to counter your own failings.
You mean like a side of defense?

I don't think it is that big of a deal to have a better side myself. I think if you're beating him with that stick you're actively seeking out sticks to use.

Just so we’re clear, are you currently defending Keane and Iwobi whilst knocking Doucoure in their respective threads right now?
If your opinion of our players is that often at odds with the majority of fans at what point do you question yourself?
When our fans stop talking about a midfielder who just finished playing 30 times for the 10th place team like he's an elite player because he scored once and stop talking about a player who has spent half a decade in the PL like he should be sold to Salford (this really happened today) because he made a mistake maybe my views will align more often.

Keane made a desperate mistake for the goal but that apart I thought he played well.

There are some players who get off lightly with their mistakes others get slaughtered, Keane is the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.