2021/22 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just can't keep making errors leading to goals at this level, you just can't and he does, I have no sympathy for him he hasn't cut mistakes out with age. You can't expect to keep your place never mind international call ups.
People say this like he's the only one of our central defenders with a mistake in them.

They all do. Mina and Holgate are both prone to them too.

People say this like he's the only one of our central defenders with a mistake in them.

They all do. Mina and Holgate are both prone to them too.

….forget the mistakes. Saturday’s was a glaring error but look at his performance apart from the error. He can easily be run ragged down the channels, he’s immobile, he’s easily spun, he displays little or no aggression, he’s easily bullied, he’s not competitive.

Forget the mistakes, I don’t think he makes a lot of glaring errors but if you’re a striker you’d love playing against him.

….forget the mistakes. Saturday’s was a glaring error but look at his performance apart from the error. He can easily be run ragged down the channels, he’s immobile, he’s easily spun, he displays little or no aggression, he’s easily bullied, he’s not competitive.

Forget the mistakes, I don’t think he makes a lot of glaring errors but if you’re a striker you’d love playing against him.

Keane I just cant work out. He has spells of games (like in lockdown) where he looks a brilliant CB. He blocks things, wins headers, organises, carries it out etc. Then he has other games where he is hopeless.

Yet 5 manager appear to have made him a key starter which says something. I prefer him next to Mina.

To slightly contradict myself, think of that derby performance at Anfield where he was awesome. But then there are games where he looks timid. Hes a really hard one to work out. I think I read someone he and his brother had a nice background, and there is probably not quite the raw aggression required to get to the very top.

Don’t think anyone’s attempting to argue he doesn’t have flaws or weaknesses. He can be upgraded, sure.

Just find it a tad hard to accept your assessment, do you honestly think Carlo Ancelotti would start a centre back majority of games who has no aggression, is easily bullied and isn’t competitive. He played almost every game he was fit under Carlo. Maybe tone down the hyperbole.

Re he’s vulnerable down the channels and mobility - would agree that’s weakest let of his game.

Keane I just cant work out. He has spells of games (like in lockdown) where he looks a brilliant CB. He blocks things, wins headers, organises, carries it out etc. Then he has other games where he is hopeless.

Yet 5 manager appear to have made him a key starter which says something. I prefer him next to Mina.

To slightly contradict myself, think of that derby performance at Anfield where he was awesome. But then there are games where he looks timid. Hes a really hard one to work out. I think I read someone he and his brother had a nice background, and there is probably not quite the raw aggression required to get to the very top.
Fair assessment really - don’t know anything about his background but rest is unusually balanced for this thread!

Don’t think anyone’s attempting to argue he doesn’t have flaws or weaknesses. He can be upgraded, sure.

Just find it a tad hard to accept your assessment, do you honestly think Carlo Ancelotti would start a centre back majority of games who has no aggression, is easily bullied and isn’t competitive. He played almost every game he was fit under Carlo. Maybe tone down the hyperbole.

Re he’s vulnerable down the channels and mobility - would agree that’s weakest let of his game.

….i’ve been a critic from after he signed but I’ve also voted lots for him in MoM threads. He’s fragile but he goes through spells of being consistently decent, he seemed particularly strong for a period last season (which I have reasoning for).

i don’t for one moment think Keane is going anywhere. I don’t really have a problem with that, but he’ll be found out and not just by top strikers (Vydra & Armstrong have given him a torrid time recently).

Last edited:
….i’ve been a critic from after he signed but I’ve also voted lots for him in MoM threads. He’s fragile but he goes through spells of being consistently decent, he seemed particularly strong for a period last season (which I have reasoning for).

i don’t for one moment think Keane is going anywhere. I don’t really have a problem with that, but he’ll be found out and not just by top strikers (Vydra & Armstrong have given him a torrid time recently).
He does go through good and bad spells. Other than his first season I’d say the good spells have lasted longer than the bad.

We’ll see how this season goes, maybe Rafael will decide he prefers Godfrey and Mina, who knows. I actually think Rafael’s set up might suit the likes of Keane. Compact, midfield protecting the back four and hitting teams on the break.

He does go through good and bad spells. Other than his first season I’d say the good spells have lasted longer than the bad.

We’ll see how this season goes, maybe Rafael will decide he prefers Godfrey and Mina, who knows. I actually think Rafael’s set up might suit the likes of Keane. Compact, midfield protecting the back four and hitting teams on the break.
Every time I type Rafael spell check turns it into Rafael…

….very reasonable summary. I can’t remember the game, but I remember a specific incident where he headed a ball away from goal when he was facing his goal under immense pressure in the 6 yard box. I love to see ‘moments’ when I think that’s a player.

That was Keane’s moment but i’ve seen enough to suggest forwards would love to play against him, even when he’s on top of his game. Watch Lukaku spin him and score in Gwladys St when he was at Burnley.

Keane is an anomaly.

That description fits Mina too except for the aggression bit possibly.

Hes just as immobile as Keane is but doesn't cop anywhere near the amount of grief while only being fit half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.