Mentality

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last couple of years,I think the players we have spent big money on know this is the peak,they arent going to get bought by bigger clubs,they arent going to get those wages at smaller clubs,there is no pressure on 99% of them to perform or try to improve

Probably doesn't help that we have so many players who clearly have issues with confidence / attitude problems.

Attitude problems:

Delph
Pickford
Kean?

Confidence issues:

Gomes
Keane
Bernard

Thats 6 players already - then throw in players who simply are either finished, tosh or average like Siggurdsson, Walcott, Davies, Coleman, DCL, Tosun, Iwobi is it any wonder the challenge we face.

Probably doesn't help that we have so many players who clearly have issues with confidence / attitude problems.

Attitude problems:

Delph
Pickford
Kean?

Confidence issues:

Gomes
Keane
Bernard

Thats 6 players already - then throw in players who simply are either finished, tosh or average like Siggurdsson, Walcott, Davies, Coleman, DCL, Tosun, Iwobi is it any wonder the challenge we face.
Can't argue with this.

The last couple of years,I think the players we have spent big money on know this is the peak,they arent going to get bought by bigger clubs,they arent going to get those wages at smaller clubs,there is no pressure on 99% of them to perform or try to improve

Exactly which is why we need to avoid older players completely, especially ones from a top club as they are only coming down. Unless wages are reasonable or its a shorter contract, then inevitably we become a cash cow.

Need players who are young, hungry, even very ambitious ones as these will be the ones trying to impress.

Attitude problems:

Delph
Pickford
Kean?

Confidence issues:

Gomes
Keane
Bernard

Yep. Pity about FFP & short summer cos of Covid as we could do with getting rid of the majority of the crap we have. Too many players are a total total disgrace

Attitude problems:

Delph
Pickford
Kean?

Confidence issues:

Gomes
Keane
Bernard

Jesus Christ.

We're the Fawlty Towers of Football.

Comes from the top and an "expected defeats" attitude and an acceptance of defeat that is ingrained in the club from top to bottom.. Filters down to the mercenary players we have. I would rather have eleven lads who gave if their all at this stage than the prima donnas who haven't achieved anything we have, look at Sheffueld United and Burnley.

Which is why we need to buy players with something to prove from now on

It’s about the individual player’s mental strength, attitude and ability, not the age category, or whether they have come from a bigger club.

Pickford and Digne are the same age, one comes from the biggest club in the world and the other comes from a club that is even worse run than us.

Ones a quality professional and the other one is an absolute plum, but it’s not based on their age or their previous club.

Comes from the top and an "expected defeats" attitude and an acceptance of defeat that is ingrained in the club from top to bottom.. Filters down to the mercenary players we have. I would rather have eleven lads who gave if their all at this stage than the prima donnas who haven't achieved anything we have, look at Sheffueld United and Burnley.
The attitude has to come from the top more accountability for failure but I think what we need now more than ever is continuity from a management perspective and I hate comparing us to wolves ,sheff, Burnley but that's there strength clear idea of playing style and recruiting to that style.
We basically have players from Moyes to Silva here and no clear identity or playing style

Attitude problems:

Delph
Pickford
Kean?

Confidence issues:

Gomes
Keane
Bernard

DCL just before lockdown had found a new level for him and was scoring consistently. He then spent lockdown playing fancy dress in NY with his mate Tom and clearly pushing weights (for vanity??) and has come back bulkier, sulkier and slower.

Kean, when he has come on, looks hungry and sharp. I'd start him over DCL 100% of the time right now - him and Richie having a go up front might wake the other shower up!

Been this mentality for years. Heads go down when we lose a goal. How many times have we had performances like the one yesterday.
Pains me to say that the RS have had that never say die attitude for years. It's instilled in all their teams. Their u23s were getting beat by us 2-1 with 5 mins to go and they win 3-2.
We need to target young hungry players who can play and have a will to win.
We accept mediocrity too easily. It needs to stop

This has been an ongoing thing for years now. Under Moyes we had a lot of players on the upward trajectory of their careers trying to either make a name for themselves or re-establish a career that had fallen away from early promise. But they had a manager who would rather not lose than try to win. An almost perfect storm for one season under Martinez. But since then Everton have been buying players here for the money only, on the downward trajectory of their careers. In the main players who weren’t good enough to begin with as well, which has resulted in a complete mess of a squad.

Add in a manager who is perhaps more tactical and known for giving players freedoms off the pitch. It worked to begin with as everyone was trying to impress Carlo, but since the lockdown that mentality has gone and he’s just Carlo the Everton manager now. That lack of work ethic from the players who are here to just pick up a good wage is really shining through.

As a club it all needs to change. Everton should no longer be buying players here for the money. We’re not a Champions League club, but we are a big enough club who can pay decent wages, and offer high potential youngsters the chance to get International football and make a name for themselves. If they do that they can get their big move to a Champions league club. Like Lukaku, Fellaini and Stones did I guess. I realise the thought of bringing in players to improve and move on seems beneath some, but for me that’s the way out of this mess now, and eventually if it works we’ll become a side good enough to hold on to those players.

Dortmund and the Red Bull sides are doing this brilliantly, taking on promising youngsters, and giving them the opportunities to improve. They’re also doing it while challenging near the top of their respective leagues. It would take far better scouting than we have seen from Everton over the years but given the limited resources and utter garbage they’ve spent money on, this for me is the best option out of this mess. Move on the crap, and bring in some promising younger players who want to make a name for themselves. Preferably ones who can run, as that seems to be something missed with most of the signings we’ve made.

Reactions: Sy-
Instilled by Kenwright, embraced by Moyes, adopted by supporters, seeped into the players, dragged down numerous managers.

Will take a long time to remove it. You can start by removing the original cause and his sycophants.

Amen, Bill and DBB must go

Status
Not open for further replies.