Mentality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tin-Tin

Player Valuation: £70m
Ancelotti has said tonight that the mentality needs to change. How long have we said this? How many managers have we gone through, players signed and sold yet the same issue persists.

How can lesser teams, newly promoted teams who cost a fraction of what our team cost, show a better mentality against some of the top teams and we cant?

There must be a recurring problem/theme, so why cant we see or fix it.

Moshiri turned up ten years too late.

The damage was already done.

Yes he did, but other clubs have managed without billionaires so why do we struggle so much. 5 years its been since we won a game where we were losing at HT - I bet no other top flight team in Europe has a record like that. Im honestly wondering if even Ancelotti can fix that.

We have tried the young prospects (they dont get fazed, have no fear etc). We tried the winners and experience (Rooney/Klaasen/Delph) that didnt help.

We tried the cheap and bargain buys, the buying a lesser clubs best players, buying an elite clubs fringe players and every single strategy hasnt worked

Yes he did, but other clubs have managed without billionaires so why do we struggle so much. 5 years its been since we won a game where we were losing at HT - I bet no other top flight team in Europe has a record like that. Im honestly wondering if even Ancelotti can fix that.

We have tried the young prospects (they dont get fazed, have no fear etc). We tried the winners and experience (Rooney/Klaasen/Delph) that didnt help.

We tried the cheap and bargain buys, the buying a lesser clubs best players, buying an elite clubs fringe players and every single strategy hasnt worked
Still got players in the squad like Coleman and Bains who are use to losing these games. Bit like fans, we go 1-0 down vs top 6 sides and we think, well that’s game over an that’s the normal and it seems set in stone at the club now, only way to break it is a clear out and get some winners

You're absolutely right about the lesser lights getting better value for their outlays - Wolves, Leicester, Burnley, Sheffield United and even Newcastle have done a fine job of recruiting players to fit a system / style - but the expectation is different at Everton because, unlike everyone outside of the teams at the top, we don't routinely spend a good portion of each decade in the lower divisions. I honestly think that's the reason why we're not as patient as fans of clubs that are in the middle of processes that started in the Championship or below, and it would also explain why Moshiri tried to throw mega money around before there was a realistic chance of attracting players who justify elite fees / wages.

My hope is that Ancelotti will help by being a unifying presence, much like Klopp at Liverpool (they wouldn't have been so forgiving if a less celebrated manager had overseen his early results). He should also go a long way towards making Everton more attractive to Champions League-level players.

I do, however, believe that the director of football is out of his depth and should be replaced.

Still got players in the squad like Coleman and Bains who are use to losing these games. Bit like fans, we go 1-0 down vs top 6 sides and we think, well that’s game over an that’s the normal and it seems set in stone at the club now, only way to break it is a clear out and get some winners

Yes but there isnt many of them left.

We have Delph, Gomes, Mina, Digne who have all been at the biggest clubs who win silverware every season. Bernard won multiple trophies at Shaktar and they seem to have the loser mentality too.

Yes but there isnt many of them left.

We have Delph, Gomes, Mina, Digne who have all been at the biggest clubs who win silverware every season. Bernard won multiple trophies at Shaktar and they seem to have the loser mentality too.
Tbh I love Digne but there a reason you get bombed out of PSG and Barca.
We need young hungry players, we have a few but most are past it

Only Richarlison that gets the ball and thinks ‘how can I affect this game positively’ rather than ‘crap, I’ve got the ball, best not lose it’.

Edit - Potentially Gordon too

I like that kid, I see a player in Gordon definitely, technically has it, just needs the experience and maturity which will come the more he plays mate.

Both Coleman and Ancelotti criticising the attitude today (twice in 2 games for Ancelotti). Coleman seems to suggest some players think they are billy big bollocks.

Think there are too many of them to be honest. As much as we need various qualities in signings next season - the attitude and mentality has to be the main attribute. No point getting fancy players or paying big money if they have poor/bad attitudes or hide when it gets tough.

Ancelotti has said tonight that the mentality needs to change. How long have we said this? How many managers have we gone through, players signed and sold yet the same issue persists.

How can lesser teams, newly promoted teams who cost a fraction of what our team cost, show a better mentality against some of the top teams and we cant?

There must be a recurring problem/theme, so why cant we see or fix it.
Apart from those halcyon days in the mid 80s, we've been saying this since about 1974 !

Both Coleman and Ancelotti criticising the attitude today (twice in 2 gsmes for Ancelotyi). Coleman seems to suggest some players think they are billy big bollocks.

Think there are too many of them to be honest. As much as we need various qualities in signings next season - the attitude and mentality has to be the main attribute. No point getting fancy players or paying big money if they have poor/bad attitudes or hide when it gets tough.

Been like this for too long mate. We have become a club that splashes millions out on players who only see us a pay day club. None of them have the heart or desire to consistently perform to a high standard and want to progress. Schneiderlin’s comments the other day summed it all up. Basically said he only came here because he knew he wouldn’t get into another top 5 team again. Richarlison aside, probably because he’s young and actually has ambitions in his career, has been our only consistent player this season and this is a lad who had hardly any time off during last summer due to playing for Brazil. It’s all about the motivation and sadly our players have none, they’re here for their pay cheques and that’s it. Our transfer recruitment strategy needs to change massively. We need to be looking at players with the desire to progress in their careers and want to do well.

Been like this for too long mate. We have become a club that splashes millions out on players who only see us a pay day club. None of them have the heart or desire to consistently perform to a high standard and want to progress. Schneiderlin’s comments the other day summed it all up. Basically said he only came here because he knew he wouldn’t get into another top 5 team again. Richarlison aside, probably because he’s young and actually has ambitions in his career, has been our only consistent player this season and this is a lad who had hardly any time off during last summer due to playing for Brazil. It’s all about the motivation and sadly our players have none, they’re here for their pay cheques and that’s it. Our transfer recruitment strategy needs to change massively. We need to be looking at players with the desire to progress in their careers and want to do well.

Agree. I never want to see players not bothered but the only time I could understand it is if they have a bid in from a top club and want off.

At least in that its because they have performed really well.

I think we need to steer clear of anything over 24-25, especially if coming from a top club already otherwise ypu get into the Schneiderlin attitude. If you sign younger players, they can alwsys have hope that if they perform brilliantly they will get the big move - so its an incentive.

Not nice to feel like that at the minute but its where we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.