Media attitude towards Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even when we won the old first division title in 1963, when the rs had spent the previous 10 years in the 2nd division, the media (again mostly southern based) accused us of "buying the title" much as City have been in this era. The real animosity stemmed from the fact that we had knocked their beloved Spurs double winning side off their perch, and we weren't forgiven. The attention then switched to Man U and the rs, with Shankly building up those loveable Scousers on the kop, and sowing the seeds of entitlement/cult amongst rs fans seen today. Even our 1970 title was portrayed by some media sources as the one which Leeds lost rather than we won. The 80s side went some way to regaining media acceptance, but this has been frittered away over the past 3 decades, as expectations have been gradually lowered, with us morphing into "plucky old Everton" an impression fostered by Kenwright , Moyes etc
Quite plainly, as I have said before, this inferiority complex needs to change throughout the club and I would hope that having finally hired a proven world class manager, we can start to turn the tide, and that means installing a winning mentality once again into EFC.. Until we do that, the media will not change their attitude.

I think if Ancelotti beats either Klopp or Guardiola this week, they’ll have to take notice. However I fear he would need more time on the training ground with this group of players to achieve that. It’s just a pity he wasn’t recruited in an international break to have more access and time with the players. He’s alluded to it today, he’s only been able to tweak small things due to the limited time scale.

I think if Ancelotti beats either Klopp or Guardiola this week, they’ll have to take notice. However I fear he would need more time on the training ground with this group of players to achieve that. It’s just a pity he wasn’t recruited in an international break to have more access and time with the players. He’s alluded to it today, he’s only been able to tweak small things due to the limited time scale.
If that happens, then, following the rs logic we will be "world club champions" in beating the Prem and World club winners.. lol lol :pint2::pint2:

We're the biggest anomaly in English football in the sense that we've been out of the picture in terms of winning stuff for the vast majority of the last 30 years yet we have this presence that when you stand back and analyse it really is at odds with the norm. No interest in getting in to a are we a big club anymore or not debate. The simple fact is that even the amount of digs that come our way from the media indicates a weird relevance that same said journalists like to say we no longer have. History, size of fan base, our prints all over the fabric of football, something keeps us in the loop to some degree and it burns many of them it really really burns them. Can't wait till we really start motoring, the coverage will be hilarious

We're the biggest anomaly in English football in the sense that we've been out of the picture in terms of winning stuff for the vast majority of the last 30 years yet we have this presence that when you stand back and analyse it really is at odds with the norm. No interest in getting in to a are we a big club anymore or not debate. The simple fact is that even the amount of digs that come our way from the media indicates a weird relevance that same said journalists like to say we no longer have. History, size of fan base, our prints all over the fabric of football, something keeps us in the loop to some degree and it burns many of them it really really burns them. Can't wait till we really start motoring, the coverage will be hilarious

This.

Ive had similar discussions with other blues recently, how no matter what "they" do, they still are 1st to jump in on us. Like, you are strolling the League, but we get a new manager or linked to a player, or even when Ferguson took over as caretaker, and the majority of social media posts relating to it are from them, Snarky comments about his suit or his wrist bands etc.

There is some seriously weird deep seated jealousy, that no matter what they achieve, it's never enough, and somehow, they still haven't got what we have, and it absolutely burns them to their core. They can't handle it.

If you told them this, they would laugh it off, call us deluded, etc, but deep down, they know it's true. They call us bitter as a deflection, but everything they do is less about achievement, and more about rubbing our nose in it, as proven by the Fanta Scruff saga.

Rent free, as the saying goes.

Only way to change the coverage is to win trophies.
Exactly. Chelsea were always a Div1 team who won the Lottery.
Now they're media Luvies.
Win a couple of trophies and we will be that entertainer from the 80s that everyone loved at the time but forgot then is mentioned in the New Year's Honours List then happy memories keep flooding back.

This.

Ive had similar discussions with other blues recently, how no matter what "they" do, they still are 1st to jump in on us. Like, you are strolling the League, but we get a new manager or linked to a player, or even when Ferguson took over as caretaker, and the majority of social media posts relating to it are from them, Snarky comments about his suit or his wrist bands etc.

There is some seriously weird deep seated jealousy, that no matter what they achieve, it's never enough, and somehow, they still haven't got what we have, and it absolutely burns them to their core. They can't handle it.

If you told them this, they would laugh it off, call us deluded, etc, but deep down, they know it's true. They call us bitter as a deflection, but everything they do is less about achievement, and more about rubbing our nose in it, as proven by the Fanta Scruff saga.

Rent free, as the saying goes.
Any opinion on them is “bitter” they really don’t deserve thier team, hopefully there deal with the devil ended last night

The only way to change things is to win a few trophies, sacking Managers, spending millions on players that give up as soon as they walk through the door doesn't help.
Agree with comments about the snidy little remarks on social media etc, it really cracks me up if I'm honest, there is always a post on anything to do with Everton from Precious in Botswana giving us grief, if you say anything back, Steve from Slough posts "6 times, you bitter" it's at this point I lose my sh1t and want to kill.

The only way to change things is to win a few trophies, sacking Managers, spending millions on players that give up as soon as they walk through the door doesn't help.
Agree with comments about the snidy little remarks on social media etc, it really cracks me up if I'm honest, there is always a post on anything to do with Everton from Precious in Botswana giving us grief, if you say anything back, Steve from Slough posts "6 times, you bitter" it's at this point I lose my sh1t and want to kill.
Just point out to anyone who gives you this line that you have to be in it to win it and we were banned from entering it because of the disgraceful murdering behaviour of those lovable Kopites. Ohh, and that if they want to keep using the word 'bitter' against us just tell them that we're nowhere near as bitter as the relatives and friends of the 39 Italians who lost their lives in Brussels in May 1985.

Just point out to anyone who gives you this line that you have to be in it to win it and we were banned from entering it because of the disgraceful murdering behaviour of those lovable Kopites. Ohh, and that if they want to keep using the word 'bitter' against us just tell them that we're nowhere near as bitter as the relatives and friends of the 39 Italians who lost their lives in Brussels in May 1985.

To be correct, it was 32 Italians, four Belgians, two French and one Northern Irishman.

Status
Not open for further replies.