Media attitude towards Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't mind him saying we're guff now because thats the truth. He shouldn't be able to get away with comparing our 1980s team with one offs like Wigan or Portsmouth thats blatantly un true. Lack of knowledge saying also we were a top 4 side at the time. There was no such thing as a top 4 then. It was either first or losers.
Its always tempered by the fact that, as talking heads go, hes on the sandpaper at the bottom of the birdcage.

Sky put a video of best goal celebrations on youtube.
We only got Cahills corner flag and Barkleys celebration before scoring.
The likes of west ham got significantly more

We have long had an inferiority complex about ourselves which time after time results in us being a classic self-fulfilling prophecy of failure. That is how we see ourselves and that is how others see it too. We are plucky little Everton, living in the shadows of Liverpool. We need to start by changing our self image and mindset.

This is why the move to Bramley-Moore is so important on so many levels. It will be a real opportunity to re-invent ourselves. Until that happens, the media view of us wont change.

We have long had an inferiority complex about ourselves which time after time results in us being a classic self-fulfilling prophecy of failure. That is how we see ourselves and that is how others see it too. We are plucky little Everton, living in the shadows of Liverpool. We need to start by changing our self image and mindset.

This is why the move to Bramley-Moore is so important on so many levels. It will be a real opportunity to re-invent ourselves. Until that happens, the media view of us wont change.

Yep BMD gives us a massive chance to puff our chests out - whether the board will capitalise on that increased media interest is another thing entirely.

i don't mind him saying we're guff now because thats the truth. He shouldn't be able to get away with comparing our 1980s team with one offs like Wigan or Portsmouth thats blatantly un true. Lack of knowledge saying also we were a top 4 side at the time. There was no such thing as a top 4 then. It was either first or losers.

I understand and agree with your post but when they say 'top 4' they're so used to saying that phrase, but what they actually mean is 'The Big 5' as Everton, Liverpool, Man U Arsenal and Villa were collectively known pre premier league.

I've stopped watching Sky coverage, Sky sports news, MOTD, BT Sport. Also gave up TalkSport ages ago. Best thing i've done. I get my info about Everton on here and Toffee TV (i get it's not that popular but i enjoy it). I don't need ridiculous outbursts about Everton that are just designed to inflame fans and ridicule a once very successful team.

I mean, Paul Merson's "Everton have broken the transfer window"
&
Jeff Stellings "Everton vs Liverpool, is this Everton's world cup final" (cue hilarious laughter from Phil Thompson et al)

There must be millions of other examples, but those two stick in my mind

Also, Martin Keown was pretty much gagging on Liverpool's mighty nob the other night. he uttered the words "Here comes the mighty Mo Salah"......FFS
Oh, the ever changing Big 4,5,6,7,8 etc. Cringe

I've stopped watching Sky coverage, Sky sports news, MOTD, BT Sport. Also gave up TalkSport ages ago. Best thing i've done. I get my info about Everton on here and Toffee TV (i get it's not that popular but i enjoy it). I don't need ridiculous outbursts about Everton that are just designed to inflame fans and ridicule a once very successful team.

I mean, Paul Merson's "Everton have broken the transfer window"
&
Jeff Stellings "Everton vs Liverpool, is this Everton's world cup final" (cue hilarious laughter from Phil Thompson et al)

There must be millions of other examples, but those two stick in my mind

Also, Martin Keown was pretty much gagging on Liverpool's mighty nob the other night. he uttered the words "Here comes the mighty Mo Salah"......FFS
Oh, the ever changing Big 4,5,6,7,8 etc. Cringe
In an ideal world a player who has just retired should have the ability to be a pundit for 5 years (like a players playing career almost) as they have the best knowledge on how football at that time is being played and then be moved on to a different role in football or just fade into obscurity. There is far to many pundits who were players in the 80's and 90's who have no clue about modern football such as souness, merson and charlie nicholas, football moves on just as everything else does. Paul merson is a bad blert btw.

Reactions: MrD
In an ideal world a player who has just retired should have the ability to be a pundit for 5 years (like a players playing career almost) as they have the best knowledge on how football at that time is being played and then be moved on to a different role in football or just fade into obscurity. There is far to many pundits who were players in the 80's and 90's who have no clue about modern football such as souness, merson and charlie nicholas, football moves on just as everything else does. Paul merson is a bad blert btw.
You forgot Garth Crooks.

According to Kevin Campbell, Merson regrets saying that Everton ruined the transfer martket. Suuuuuuuure he regrets it.

In the US it feels like NBC is getting close to not even bothering covering matches that don't feature a "Big 6" team. Kind of turns me off of watching the league as much when 70% of it is treated like props.

Im not going to lie, I personally think Sky are desperate for us to be “big”. They’d absolutely love to drum up the derby as title contenders like Coty and United did a few years ago.

BBC, and their red agenda is a different thing, but I actually think Sky by whole want us to succeed, if you excuse the Soccer Saturday morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.