2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, I thought he was fine. Looked good on the ball as always and it was good to have his pace and calm head back next to Keane I thought
I thought his passing was terrible against Man Utd. Passes forward always seemed misplaced. But he's rusty so hopefully it's just that.

Just watched the goals back there. Am I mad to say that none of them were on Mason at all and he had a pretty alright game for his 1st back from injury? 1st goal is on Keane's poor positioning and not seeing Fernandes unmarked in front of him, Holgate is in the correct position, so is Digne and the other 2 should be doing better. For the 2nd goal I think Allan should be shifting across to block the pass into Rashford, Keane doesn't have the pace to get tight before he's able to turn then once it got to Fernandes IMHO Coleman should have done better in stopping him cutting in on his right and trust Allan to cover the reverse pass. The 3rd was an impossible 4 on 2 situation. Let's not be too harsh on the lad, there were a number of players on Saturday who had far worse games.
For me the first goal is the midfields fault. Either Sigurdsson or Bernard should've tracked the run and not allowed Fernandes to get a free header.

The second goal is due to tactical disorganisation, I assume the height of the defensive line was looked at before the game and therefore the midfield line also should be correctly set out.

But for whatever reason, be it the midfield pushed too high or the defence weren't brave enough and dropped too deep, the space in between the 2 lines was cavernous and allowed Rashford, Martial and in particular Fernandes to drop in and dictate at will.

If I was gonna pick a side I think the midfield were at fault again for this goal. I think Holgate was slightly off the pace but that is to be expected and I will say there were worse performers in Blue on Saturday.

The first goal was a clear tactic, overload Coleman as James doesn’t track back, pulling Allan and Doucoure out of the middle and Fernandez gently jogs past Siggy to score. Simples

Definitely a lack of gametime.

Id play him in the centre of a 3 with Godfrey on his right.

Weaklink being Keanes lack of pace but Holgates anticipation on the cover could make up for that.
I think that would give us issues building up. We had some issues today too and Holgate isn't exactly going to step in and spray them around.

Personally I don't think a back 3 will be viable long term unless we make Branthwaite the LCB as we just don't have enough distribution from the back otherwise and as you're losing a man in midfield that is something you need.

I think that would give us issues building up. We had some issues today too and Holgate isn't exactly going to step in and spray them around.

Personally I don't think a back 3 will be viable long term unless we make Branthwaite the LCB as we just don't have enough distribution from the back otherwise and as you're losing a man in midfield that is something you need.

Weve not seen Godfrey, Holgate or Branthwaite given time on the ball to "spray it around".

I dont think they need to either if we play the same system as against fulham.

Status
Not open for further replies.