2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weirdly i did think he'd possibly struggle today.

I do rate him on his day.. but one of the things I've noticed about him is that he does take a little while to get up to speed when he's been out of the fold for a while. He is prone to losing his concentration a fair bit.
Think Carlo should play him at RB till we get one in, bring Godfrey in to CB with either of the other 2 clowns.

Weirdly i did think he'd possibly struggle today.

I do rate him on his day.. but one of the things I've noticed about him is that he does take a little while to get up to speed when he's been out of the fold for a while. He is prone to losing his concentration a fair bit.
Not sure that was so weird. He’s not played since July, bar preseason friendly when he picked up another injury. He was way off it yesterday.

He, predictably enough, had a bit of a stinker after such a lay off and no match fitness. But it shows how highly Ancelotti rates him (or doesn’t rate Mina) for him to get thrown straight into the starting 11 the first game he was available.

He, predictably enough, had a bit of a stinker after such a lay off and no match fitness. But it shows how highly Ancelotti rates him (or doesn’t rate Mina) for him to get thrown straight into the starting 11 the first game he was available.
Not sure that was the reason Holgate was picked ahead of Mina.
Its obvious Carlo wanted some pace there at the expense of one of the 2 bigger less mobile centre halves.
The most threat should have been from the pace of Manu's forwards but it backfired really Holgate caught out far to many times especially for the goals.

Not sure that was the reason Holgate was picked ahead of Mina.
Its obvious Carlo wanted some pace there at the expense of one of the 2 bigger less mobile centre halves.
The most threat should have been from the pace of Manu's forwards but it backfired really Holgate caught out far to many times especially for the goals.
Yeah I think that’s the case, with Fulham next and their biggest threat being aerial and physical from Mitrovic it’ll be interesting to see who we put out. If Mina doesn’t start alongside Keane then it’s very clear that Holgate and Keane are our first choice 2 regardless of opponent.

Just watched the goals back there. Am I mad to say that none of them were on Mason at all and he had a pretty alright game for his 1st back from injury? 1st goal is on Keane's poor positioning and not seeing Fernandes unmarked in front of him, Holgate is in the correct position, so is Digne and the other 2 should be doing better. For the 2nd goal I think Allan should be shifting across to block the pass into Rashford, Keane doesn't have the pace to get tight before he's able to turn then once it got to Fernandes IMHO Coleman should have done better in stopping him cutting in on his right and trust Allan to cover the reverse pass. The 3rd was an impossible 4 on 2 situation. Let's not be too harsh on the lad, there were a number of players on Saturday who had far worse games.

Just watched the goals back there. Am I mad to say that none of them were on Mason at all and he had a pretty alright game for his 1st back from injury? 1st goal is on Keane's poor positioning and not seeing Fernandes unmarked in front of him, Holgate is in the correct position, so is Digne and the other 2 should be doing better. For the 2nd goal I think Allan should be shifting across to block the pass into Rashford, Keane doesn't have the pace to get tight before he's able to turn then once it got to Fernandes IMHO Coleman should have done better in stopping him cutting in on his right and trust Allan to cover the reverse pass. The 3rd was an impossible 4 on 2 situation. Let's not be too harsh on the lad, there were a number of players on Saturday who had far worse games.
I agree, I thought he was fine. Looked good on the ball as always and it was good to have his pace and calm head back next to Keane I thought

I'm not a huge fan of Holgate, he's way too rash in the challenge and not great in the air. We can't go on conceding 2 goals a game though it's getting silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.