2019/20 Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we're equally as poorly run (including Brands) off the pitch as we are on it, mate.

He should have been out of the door yesterday. We have two weeks to make a change and get the right man in.

100% guaranteed he'll still be here by West Ham, if just to save face. And you know what, I hope he turns it around in the likelihood he is here. Of course we all mostly do. But it won't last.

Silva should be gone. Brands should be given a boot up the arse too. It's not good enough.
Why Brands, we were all buzzing with the players we signed, A kick up the arse for not getting in a CB maybe but i think Brands has done a good job.

It does sound wise Dave. Because it is.
Its Silva's job to get the best out of this squad. He's paid handsomely for it. He's failing. Yes, there are mitigating factors, but he's just not doing it.

I know that. But it's made all the more difficult with Brands buying players that just cant be blended.
What difference does it make who has the final say? They both identify the targets they want. Brands goes out and does the negotiating. How does that excuse Silva in any way shape or form? Or how does is distance him from who comes in and goes? It doesn’t.
Brands identifies the players and consuylts Silva. that's a long way off the way it should be. The manager should identify the players and the DoF agrees/disagrees and they take it from there. It's that difference that's got us where we are.
These players are better than what they are showing though Dave and definitely better than the dross we have been beaten by recently. That means for whatever reason, Silva and his crew are not getting a tune out of them. The worrying part is Silva seems devoid of any ideas other than the one that clearly isn't working. That falls squarely on his shoulders and that is why I won't be sad to see him go.

Individually they are, yes...JUST...however, they've been bought with no idea how they all fit together. That's the issue IMO.
It’s not Dave, the squad we have is good enough to not be sitting in the bottom 3, 5 games after we could have been 3rd and launching a bid to break the top 6 stranglehold, yes we lost a key player in Gana but why hasn’t Silva rejigged his tactics to make that less obvious and do something different? That’s the big question that should be asked of him

Manager and players need to be doing more, yes. However, look at that mess left Silva: no CB replacement found; best DM sold and not replaced (or his replacement...if that's what he is, and I dont see it...is injured); and a forward line that's had no thiught concerning blend ut into it.

Cut Silva some slack FFS.

We have to stop talking about Silva's record at Hull. They were 20th, I think, and a basket case. He didn't keep them up, but he gave it a good shot.

I would like to see him change his one up front formation, and I have this mental picture of Richarlison and Kean up front together and players behind
them feeding in low through balls to them. Not hope for the best high crosses from out wide.

Myself and other fans alike have been suggesting he changes his system for the last 6/7 weeks. He hasn’t and he won’t. He is the reason we are in the this mess. His stubbornness to change things is resulting in our turmoil. What was supposed to be a decent start to the season, on paper, has turned into one of our most disastrous in recent years and it’s all his fault.

I tend to agree.

But, these players are in no way being helped by the manager and that much is clear, however much they have to take the blame like Silva does.

The team selection is awful. The tactics are awful.

Our players are struggling but the manager is doing nothing to try and get the best out of them.

In fact, he's playing a system that - in theory - should get the better out of Gylfi yet Silva sticks to the same boring players and the same boring tactics so what's the point?

Honestly mate, I respect what you say and agree in the main. I don't want Silva to have to go. But at the moment, I don't think anyone can argue he deserves to stay.
Yeah I agree. I think he'll get the West Ham game but if we lose that he'll be gone. He can have no complaints if that happens.

Because we're equally as poorly run (including Brands) off the pitch as we are on it, mate.

He should have been out of the door yesterday. We have two weeks to make a change and get the right man in.

100% guaranteed he'll still be here by West Ham, if just to save face. And you know what, I hope he turns it around in the likelihood he is here. Of course we all mostly do. But it won't last.

Silva should be gone. Brands should be given a boot up the arse too. It's not good enough.

Agree with all of that - speaks volumes about the board. Big professional clubs don,t mess around they identify structural issues and take immediate action but it just sums us up to be honest and our stature. Leadership starts at the top !

I've been supporting him for a week or two, but if he goes in against West Ham with 4-2-3-1 and largely the same team he's lost me.

Brands identifies the players and consuylts Silva. that's a long way off the way it should be. The manager should identify the players and the DoF agrees/disagrees and they take it from there. It's that difference that's got us where we are.

How do you know that’s not the way it works? If Marco Silva has zero input into the calibre of players he wants to put into HIS team I’m pretty sure he’d have peed off a long time ago. Brands will receive a type of player Silva has suggested, maybe even a couple of names and will go out and sign then accordingly. I’m pretty sure that’s the way it will work.

What you’re suggesting is that Brands dictates who Marco signs and he has no choice.

That’s absolutely BS and again is contrary to the comments Silva was making after signing players in the summer.

Let me just add to this by saying I don’t think Brands should be immune from criticism and I do agree that he did let us down in certain aspects in the summer. Prime example being he didn’t bring us a replacement for Zouma/Jagielka which the manager wanted.

Last edited:
Why Brands, we were all buzzing with the players we signed, A kick up the arse for not getting in a CB maybe but i think Brands has done a good job.

I would agree with that.

He always said his vision in the first phase is to strip out as much dead wood as possible and buy younger players who we can develop and make a return on in order to help us move forward. The two black marks against him are firstly Gana leaving, but what are you going to do about that? If a player wants to move to a Champions League side and has already given you six months of top performance after being persuaded to wait... Why is he going to keep doing it? Secondly would be a lack of quality back up at CB, which I do lay at his door.

It's not like he's coaching them or picking the side.

I want Silva to succeed, I really do but I think his real-time game management is poor. When things aren't going to plan he doesn't know how to fix it.

I know there's mitigating circumstances but in this instance he has done nothing to attempt to change our form mate.

That's where the problem lies.

If he was at least trying things, that'd be one thing. But he's done nothing.

I don't really doubt he'll be here by the time the West Ham game runs around. I also reckon we'll be much better with Gomes and Delph in midfield in that match. But even if we win, he's given me no confidence moving forward to deal with the mitigating circumstances which, at the end of the day, is his job.

He is tactically woeful. Yes, if he has a week to set up a side he can get it right. But any sort of reaction in-game? Forget about it. Any sort of proactive change? Nothing.

I defended him last season and early this season and still I want him to do well. But he's showing nothing.
Tactically spot on when he's played elite teams last season. It's nonsense to suggest he cant get the tactics right when allowed to work for a long time with players...as he underlined last season.

Of course, the fans will get him out, because they think by getting shut of enough managers we'll solve this mess. We wont. The mess is off the pitch in the boardroom and now in the role above the manager at DoF.

easy to get excited at the time but we can be objective now

kean was maybe the right player wrong time, we needed a ready to go striker

clearly needed a centre half.

did we really need delph? whats he added? admittedly wed have been short in midfield due to injuries but out of his summer signings whos been a success?

iwobi looks lively but for 30 mill are we accepting bare minimum?

How do you know that’s not the way it works? If Marco Silva has zero input into the calibre of players he wants to put into HIS team I’m pretty sure he’d have peed off a long time ago. Brands will receive a type of player Silva has suggested, maybe even a couple of names and will go out and sign then accordingly. I’m pretty sure that’s the way it will work.

What you’re suggesting is that Brands dictates who Marco signs and he has no choice.

That’s absolutely BS and again is contrary to the comments Silva was making after signing players in the summer.
He dictates:

1/ the type of player they look for
2/ the style of football he wants played with them
3/ who to get shut of and whether they'll be replaced or not

That's what Silva works under.

This was posted this in the Gylfi thread, but it highlights a lot more issues with our tactics. There are no options for anyone when they have the ball, players are in their little designated areas of the pitch and do not move. Week in, week out, this is why we don't create any chances or aren't dynamic moving forward and its easy to see how our pattern of play goes

1570287390677-png.68085

I would agree with that.

He always said his vision in the first phase is to strip out as much dead wood as possible and buy younger players who we can develop and make a return on in order to help us move forward. The two black marks against him are firstly Gana leaving, but what are you going to do about that? If a player wants to move to a Champions League side and has already given you six months of top performance after being persuaded to wait... Why is he going to keep doing it? Secondly would be a lack of quality back up at CB, which I do lay at his door.

It's not like he's coaching them or picking the side.

I want Silva to succeed, I really do but I think his real-time game management is poor. When things aren't going to plan he doesn't know how to fix it.
You're spot on re: Gueye but to answer the question "what are we going to do about it" - the answer has to be plan effectively and ensure an adequate replacement is lined up.

We are talking about a player who is proving for PSG that he's top quality. He was so underrated by us. By chance I watched the whole game vs Real Madrid and he was actually the best player on the pitch. Not bad given the company he had.

Gbamin is in theory a great replacement if the potential is realised. But it's too early and unfair on him to be expected to come in and fill the void immediately.

It's the same with Kean. An excellent signing but can he be expected to come in a produce immediately? At 19? Doesn't speak the language fantastically?

Throw in that we didn't replace Zouma (Mina has been excellent overall this season but without competition Keane seems to be stuttering form-wise) and you've got a distinct lack of planning and execution.

Yes you will hope to get target A in each of these positions but worryingly:

Kean and Gbamin seem to be replacements for Lukaku (belatedly) and Gueye. It's a huge step backwards / stagnation.

Zouma was the first choice to come in permanently but to not sign anyone is so poor. Yes Chelsea might have led us on, yes there might be more to it behind the scenes (and I suspect there is) but to rip the centre of the defensive spine of the team out and STILL not replace Lukaku is crippling us. And make no mistake, this is Brands' fault.

You're spot on re: Gueye but to answer the question "what are we going to do about it" - the answer has to be plan effectively and ensure an adequate replacement is lined up.

We are talking about a player who is proving for PSG that he's top quality. He was so underrated by us. By chance I watched the whole game vs Real Madrid and he was actually the best player on the pitch. Not bad given the company he had.

Gbamin is in theory a great replacement if the potential is realised. But it's too early and unfair on him to be expected to come in and fill the void immediately.

It's the same with Kean. An excellent signing but can he be expected to come in a produce immediately? At 19? Doesn't speak the language fantastically?

Throw in that we didn't replace Zouma (Mina has been excellent overall this season but without competition Keane seems to be stuttering form-wise) and you've got a distinct lack of planning and execution.

Yes you will hope to get target A in each of these positions but worryingly:

Kean and Gbamin seem to be replacements for Lukaku (belatedly) and Gueye. It's a huge step backwards / stagnation.

Zouma was the first choice to come in permanently but to not sign anyone is so poor. Yes Chelsea might have led us on, yes there might be more to it behind the scenes (and I suspect there is) but to rip the centre of the defensive spine of the team out and STILL not replace Lukaku is crippling us. And make no mistake, this is Brands' fault.

nail on the head

Status
Not open for further replies.