2019/20 Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a couple of relegation threads and doubt we will be relegated IF something changes at Everton. I always try to back the manager and to be honest there are time when I think what could have happened if we stuck with Martinez. Yes he had 2 very bad seasons after a very good season...but at least even then who knows what would have happened if they stuck with Martinez. I am not saying sacking Martinez was the wrong thing but I am sure if he (Martinez) had more time to get his type of player in that he needed we might have again kicked on maybe (we will never know). His first season was so good in my opinion that in a small way everyone's exceptions worked against them. That first season of him in charge gave me hope for the first time in a long time.

Why mention that...since that one season we had under Martinex I have to once felt that sence of achievement and going forward as what I had that year. We could see the tactics he was playing and had an idea of where he wanted the club to go. That was refreshing, The the bad seasons happened under him and most of us felt that maybe we need a new manager and looked back to his first season as being maybe a bit lucky. BUT that said...thinking back...I loved the way we played...and we were a threat to anybody that season. Thongs went wrong and its the first manager since then where I have to ask a question to myself...werent the lack of player needed to fit into his system more the problem than the manager. Could things have changed if he got one more transfer window.

Now with Silva I feel the total opposite. I think honestly he tried his heart out to bring success but just dont have it, I also think he is a nice person. But nothing I have seen thus far points to him being the right manager. I always hate it if a manager dont succeed that has really tried even though they are out of depth. Thus Silva I will never hate...he tried but failed...and I so wish i was wrong. All I can say to Silva is thank you for trying but our club is just too big for you to handle...no hatred.

The question here is...we need a manager that is the right manager for the job...and people at board level will be appointing a new manager. Please...we as Evertonian's HATE a manager being sacked BUT to prevent putting us through this again make double sure that the next manager will fit in at Everton and the the manager have the needed skillset to put us back in our rightly place. Let the DOF be an aid to the manager when buying players and not the other way around because if you buy players imo the manager should have the most say in the matter. How can you really sack a manager if the player bought werent his choice of players for the system he wants to play. Surely the manager (if he is good) should know exactly the shortcomings etc...and know what will help to solve the problem.

This thing about continuity as the reason for a DOF doesnt always makes sense. How can you plan for continuity if every single manager roughly have their own style of playing, tactics etc and shouldn't a top manager change formation to suit the player where possible...which in turn get very difficult for a manager if he has to frop into a clubs structure where he is told how the club must play etc. Get who is best for the club in long run...and let the manager tell the DOF what he need and the DOF can then oversee those needs and make sure its in place. Imo Manager > DOF...not DOF > Manager when it comes to key decisions for the club.

Forget this project...get in the RIGHT manager, and the building of a team and accomplishing the project will happen automatically. Why spend a fortune on a structure and players BUT not going out for the best reputable manager you can get...no matter the cost...because that cost you spend on a quality manager will soon repay you with possible less money wasted on the transfer market. Thus to the board...think long and hard who you bring in. Bring in Mediocrity and the club will waste another couple of 100 million...bring in quality and that quality manager might save you in the long run 100's of million.

I am looking forward to seasons like the first we had under Martinez and yes it can happen again...imo almost overnight IF we appoint the correct manager. To me we will always be a big club as that is where we belong. The board must just make sure they take it seriously and appoint the right manager and personnel to their respective jobs to make it happen.

My 2 cents and of course I can be totally wrong but think I would share my thoughts

To be fair on Silva, he has been very unlucky with injuries, especially in midfield. Not to mention the VAR at Brighton. But when you have a lot of your team missing, you organise. Frankly we aren't organised.

It doesn't hurt anything like what it used too. Genuinely.

My father passing away, my wife's mother getting seriously ill, and my sons autism have more than put life in perspective.

Watching Everton should be escapism and a release from day to day stresses.

They make things worse tenfold.

I just find the game as a whole dull now.
I will always be an Everton fan whether I like it or not. But I am not a football/soccer fan. I think the game is in terminal decline, as it chases even more outlandish fees from tv abroad.
I agree football has just become boring tedious rubbish, the politically correct media and pundits who just praise the big teams and never ask how Everton have spent all this money and ended up worse than we were before. At one stage I would of gone to every Everton game if I had the time and money, now I struggle to be bothered to listen to it on the radio. Football was an escape when you could have a laugh, even when we lost you could still most of the time look forward to the next game to get some face back. I don't think people appreciate just how bad it is supporting Everton, even in Koemanns first season we were pretty appalling.
The fact we beat Arsenal and United at home last season doesn't really mean much considering how poor those sides are. Clubs like Southampton, West Ham, Palace, Wolves, Swansea and Villa have beaten Liverpool at Anfield in the last 5 years. Clubs like Villa, Sheffield United. Norwich, Palace, may be poor sides but at least they show some fight. 3 years ago we weren't that far from Liverpool in the league now look at us. Our fans follow us through thick and thin we fill GP and away ends and we have the board just saying who cares of we lose these games, we expect to lose them anyway. I remember when people used to moan at Moyes for not winning away games, now we're lucky if we simply get a draw. But the worst thing about Everton is that there's noting to like about us, other than Coleman, Gomes and Baines I don't like any of our players. While Tim Howard had his numerous flaws, the emotion he showed at his last game was more than our team have showed in 3 years. It's very hard to emotionally get behind players who don't care whether they win or lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.