• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That run between December, Jan and Feb really was horrific. Nearly 30% of the season where we just stumbled to 11 points out of 39 was diabolical

Anything close to reasonable form would have seen us not far off 4th/5th/6th, certainly a very clear 7th which is where we should be
Interestingly during those 3 months (not counting cup games) we only played 3 games against top 6 teams (out of a total of 14 games). We failed to register wins against Newcastle, Watford(twice), Brighton, Liecester, Southampton and Wolves.

I said a few weeks ago I was very impressed by the reaction of the players.

It could have been very easy for them to go into holiday mode and just get the flip flops on, but every single 1 of them is pulling their tripe every week.

Of course the Fulham and Newcastle games are a concern, Fulham we just never showed up and Newcastle our collapse was quite special, but they bounced back in fine fashion.

Consistency is our biggest issue, if we can sort that out then the future looks very bright.

The Newcastle result was a blow because we should have been a country mile clear, it was a good performance bar the arses going. Fulham, a bizarre showing.

Like you said though the players have done him good and he’s done us good, he’s rejuvenated them with nothing really to play for. They all deserve a massive well done

People like you two and @ijjysmith and @LouReedwalkonthewildside and @GrandOldTeam - normally non-knee jerk reasonable posters - losing your nerve over him just barely after Christmas in his first season was a shock to the system. I couldn't believe you'd gone so early. Obviously we'd had a rocky patch with managers which made us all feel a bit fed up, but it surprised me the speed with which he was thrown under the bus.

I think he's proven you all wrong.

...yep, there was plenty to be concerned about. We have been tactically awful at times and we simply shouldn’t concede 6 in a home league game. Saying that, there has never been a sack him time, lots of managers have tough times before good.

I wanted the appointment, still lots to prove but he’s doing ok.

I know you disagree, Dave, but I do like what Brands has done so far. From a housekeeping perspective we will have to move players on this summer but i look forward to seeing who has been identified to come in.

I enjoyed his post match comments saying that they can enjoy tomorrow off then wants them back concentrating on palace and demanding the same intensity

He's had a few tests since he's been here and managed to come through them (cutting out individual mistakes, finding his best starting 11, sorting out the set pieces) but this is his biggest imo. Getting that same focus, output, concentration and intensity away against lower sides as we have done at home against the bigger teams is the key to consistency.

We have played well in all the big games this season, even the ones we got beat in. The attitude has looked wrong to me when we play the lesser teams, like a "we should win this, these arnt much" attitude and we then get lax. Once you start like that, its hard to move up the gears especially if you go 1-0 down.

These next 2 fixtures against Palace and Burnley we need to see the same Everton turn up as we did against Utd, Arsenal etc.

I think the improvement he has made to gueyes overall game is impressive

Agree, not just him though, Keane looks a proper defender now, Calvert-Lewin has come on brilliantly and Pickford (barring the odd brain fart) looks more composed lately. Hopefully he can do the same for Davies, Lookman, Vlasic and a few other prospects as we will need these to kick on.

When we appointed him I said I was happy with it,that doesnt mean I have been ok with that very poor period after the derby and it doesnt mean I will go over the top with praise for taking points at home to the so called bigger sides,but you can see a proper shape to the team emerging and he does seem to be rectifying the problems we had,there are shouts for his lack of plan B but due to the averageness of the bench that is always going to be difficult,plus how many managers do have a plan B that doesnt involve throwing the big lad up front?

People like you two and @ijjysmith and @LouReedwalkonthewildside and @GrandOldTeam - normally non-knee jerk reasonable posters - losing your nerve over him just barely after Christmas in his first season was a shock to the system. I couldn't believe you'd gone so early. Obviously we'd had a rocky patch with managers which made us all feel a bit fed up, but it surprised me the speed with which he was thrown under the bus.

I think he's proven you all wrong.

If we get beat against Palace next week I'll want the fraud out mate ;)

I can finally see a style and it’s taken a while as it would have but what I will say is (apart from spurs 2-6) we’ve turned up in every big game we’ve given the opposition a real game,it does make the Fulham defeat and Newcastle mystifying but I’d rather make tangible progress against the big boys,victories against ten a penny clubs will inevitably increase as we progress as a club,the football in the last 3-4 home games has been sensational at times

Shock horror...Dutch ex footballer photographed with two Dutch footballers...…..

He chose to go watch Liverpool play Porto instead of watching the brightest prospects for Ajax play Juve, which as the Dutch national team manager is pretty odd.

He wasn't even arsed about the Liverpool game, he went to play golf anyway it was just good timing the match was on.

...yep, there was plenty to be concerned about. We have been tactically awful at times and we simply shouldn’t concede 6 in a home league game. Saying that, there has never been a sack him time, lots of managers have tough times before good.

I wanted the appointment, still lots to prove but he’s doing ok.

I know you disagree, Dave, but I do like what Brands has done so far. From a housekeeping perspective we will have to move players on this summer but i look forward to seeing who has been identified to come in.
Brands: I have no agenda against him beyond a few silly comments. He's done ok on incoming players and that's what people notice most. I say that - below the surface - he's storing up a lot of problems. I'll be interested to see how much he brings in this summer and (given I dont think it'll be significant cash) how much he persuades Moshiri to allow on squad spending.

DoF's job (if we have to have one at all) should be measured by these metrics: how the quality of the squad improves and how fast it improves.

...which is a substantial change of position on your part, because you wanted him out.

True true.

I did indeed. It was a struggle for sure. A manager who I very much didn’t want in the first place doing pretty woefully, for whatever the reasons, it was was nigh on impossible to stick by him. For me.

But if we win we win. All I’m really arsed about at the end of the day.

Hence why games like Fulham, Millwall and Newcastle annoy me so much.

Brands: I have no agenda against him beyond a few silly comments. He's done ok on incoming players and that's what people notice most. I say that - below the surface - he's storing up a lot of problems. I'll be interested to see how much he brings in this summer and (given I dont think it'll be significant cash) how much he persuades Moshiri to allow on squad spending.

DoF's job (if we have to have one at all) should be measured by these metrics: how the quality of the squad improves and how fast it improves.

...I honestly think it’s numbers more than cash (although I accept one equates to the other). He needs to trim the squad from a housekeeping perspective more than to generate funds.

Not sure how he’s storing up problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.