• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Liverpool- yes cost us 1 point
Newcastle- yes at fault, but that wasn't in that run we mentioned
Leicester- hang on Walcott heads it into danger, keane miscontrols the pass and gets robbed and your blame pickford?
He cost us way more than 1 point against Liverpool.
That was the cause of our bad run. Defenders lost confidence in him after that which resulted in them defending a yard or 2 deeper.

He must have done something right in the 17 day break to gain the trust again as it's been fine since.

He cost us way more than 1 point against Liverpool.
That was the cause of our bad run. Defenders lost confidence in him after that which resulted in them defending a yard or 2 deeper.

He must have done something right in the 17 day break to gain the trust again as it's been fine since.
I think the Liverpool game is easy for us to highlight as a turning point of the season because things appeared to be going OK until then, but I think the significance of it is massively overplayed. We had a game about three days later against Newcastle which we absolutely dominated (to a quite staggering extent when you look at it) but just couldn't score enough goals. It's hard to reconcile that performance with the derby having knocked the stuffing out of us, it just doesn't really add up.

Truth is we'd only won 6 of our 15 games against PL teams before the derby, and had dropped home points against West Ham and Huddersfield, as well as making hard work of beating Palace and Cardiff. The Newcastle, Watford and Leicester games at home were really very similar to what had gone on before in all honesty, but they came in a run which also included a couple of games against top sides and suddenly we found ourselves in a rut. To me we had a problem defending set pieces, and really struggled for goals, so we hit an unsurprising rocky patch. Obviously we'll never know, but to me any connection between the derby and the poor run of form is just a tenuous link that makes our rubbishness at that time somehow easier to understand.

He had to spend £50M on one player. That didn't leave much else to spread around rebuilding a squad that Koeman wasted £200M on.

Silva has been patient on the lack of backing in January. He never complained. That doesn't mean he wants that failure of Brands and Moshiri to continue into the summer window.

We know we have a manager now. We have an owner who released club generated cash in the past - will he release club generated funds again in the summer? We know also that Brands cant sell. The last two named men need to up their games 100%.
He didn't have to. He chose to.

Im gonna whisper this and im also never going to repeat it, but all the criticism Silva received was probably fair.

I mean we got knocked out of 1 cup by the worst Saints side in a few years, AT HOME, we got knocked out the FA Cup by a team that sits 15th in the championship, we went 5 games without winning a game, we had 2 wins in 10 games at 1 point, we conceded from almost set piece. At 1 point the only reason I could give for not wanting him sacked was for stabilities sake.

So yeah, lets be honest it wasnt looking good.

What I did say was we should give him the full season, of course everybody has been swayed by our last 3 results, they were very good, I know people have tried to play down the Chelsea result as they arent a very good side, same for Arsenal, but they are both very good sides and their defeats to us are the only 1s in their last 5 games. Very good results, plus we went to an away side and claimed a very good win there. Also the first half from Chelsea aside we have won all 3 games in style, sure we have missed a hatful of chances, but still.

Of course the above cup results, the Newcastle results, getting schooled by West Ham at home, Spurs and of course losing to the vermin with the last kick of the game are all very bad results, but for me, the last few results have shown that on our day we can compete with most sides in the league. Only really Spurs have blown us away this season, City won both games at a bit of a canter also, but we played well against the vermin, played well and beat Chelsea and Arse.

What im saying is there has been both good and bad this season, so what we do is we take the good and hope next season brings us less bad.

Did you forget something on the Frank express? No wait he's taking a seat! Full steam ahead.

For all the criticism you could probably fairly lay at his door, I do think the amount of poor decisions and misfortune gone our way has been exceptionally high this season. Coupled with a our usually reliable GK losing his head so many times this season, which naturally unsettles a defence.

I really think we've turned the corner now and between now and the end of the season, we'll show that we are the "best of the rest". Which granted is now great feat, but we are much better than last season still and our manager has shown several times this season that he's capable of getting results against sides above us.

Happy with the improvement for sure but still have have a gut feeling that next season will be similar to this one with lots of disappointment.
I can almost guarantee you there’ll be lots of disappointment mate. This ain’t a quick fix unfortunately, unless we have an absolutely stupendous transfer window, the very best we can realistically expect is 7th next season I would say, whoever the manager is.

I can almost guarantee you there’ll be lots of disappointment mate. This ain’t a quick fix unfortunately, unless we have an absolutely stupendous transfer window, the very best we can realistically expect is 7th next season I would say, whoever the manager is.

In terms of finishing position i expect us to basically be more or less where we are this season but one would hope we would be able to pull away from the likes of Watford and Wolves and cement ourselves as the obvious 'best of the rest'... I have doubts though and imagine we'll be duking it out with the likes of Watford and co next season.

In terms of finishing position i expect us to basically be more or less where we are this season but one would hope we would be able to pull away from the likes of Watford and Wolves and cement ourselves as the obvious 'best of the rest'... I have doubts though and imagine we'll be duking it out with the likes of Watford and co next season.
Ideally yes, but if we take our blue tinted specs off then that’s our current level. Our current squad might be better than Leicester and wolves but not by much. Most predictions I saw in papers etc before the season started had us down for 8th. If we want to completely leave these teams behind we’ll have to bring in more quality.

Ideally yes, but if we take our blue tinted specs off then that’s our current level. Our current squad might be better than Leicester and wolves but not by much. Most predictions I saw in papers etc before the season started had us down for 8th. If we want to completely leave these teams behind we’ll have to bring in more quality.

Mixture of further spending and being savvy in acquisitions and departures.

We can’t just think Brands is a genius like Moyes therefore doesn’t need a huge budget.

I liked his purchases in the summer and we will need similar investment again

Status
Not open for further replies.