2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
The transfer fee is the transfer fee.

Agree it was a bit too much at the time, I deffo raised an eyebrow myself, but it just needs to be forgotten about. It's not like he's on £100k a week and not involved... he's still an integral part of the first team and is on a lower wage than a few at least.
£27m rising to £34 with add ons

Still too much like but not £40m

Let's hope some of that is repaid over next 3 games
I don't mind him at all but think that's why people have a bone to pick with Iwobi though is the price tag, He's not put in stellar performances but he can be a useful player a la Brighton.

Anyway think it's a no brainer for Brands to stay while Ancelotti is here.

For all those saying "he doesn't shop in January" maybe just because the only player to come in the last two Jan's was Branthwaite doesn't mean he won't next Jan if Carlo needs something.

January is also a bad window for value, everyone with a brain accepts that, but to prove that here are a list of our Jan signings from the windows up to Brands arriving:

Walcott - £20m
Tosun - £20m
Schneiderlin - £20m
Lookman - £8m
Niasse - £16m
Tarashaj - £4m

For all those saying "he doesn't shop in January" maybe just because the only player to come in the last two Jan's was Branthwaite doesn't mean he won't next Jan if Carlo needs something.

January is also a bad window for value, everyone with a brain accepts that, but to prove that here are a list of our Jan signings from the windows up to Brands arriving:

Walcott - £20m
Tosun - £20m
Schneiderlin - £20m
Lookman - £8m
Niasse - £16m
Tarashaj - £4m

The thing is that apart from Tarashaj all those signings were welcomed at the time.

We were battling relegation under Allardyce and had barely any decent forward options. Moshiri throwing 50 mill at what was at the time two experienced strikers who played in the champions league was seen as a good security policy against going down.

Schneiderlin and Lookman were both seen as effective upgrades on Barry and Deulofeu when Koeman brought them in,

Niasse was seen as a necessary partner/backup for Lukaku as we had no other options and had just challenged for fourth the season before.

We didn’t know at the time they’d all turn out to be complete pony.

Walcott - £20m
Tosun - £20m
Schneiderlin - £20m
Lookman - £8m
Niasse - £16m
Tarashaj - £4m

Our summer signings were all terrible up to Brands arriving too though.

The thing is that apart from Tarashaj all those signings were welcomed at the time.

We were battling relegation under Allardyce and had barely any decent forward options. Moshiri throwing 50 mill at what was at the time two experienced strikers who played in the champions league was seen as a good security policy against going down.

Schneiderlin and Lookman were both seen as effective upgrades on Barry and Deulofeu when Koeman brought them in,

Niasse was seen as a necessary partner/backup for Lukaku as we had no other options and had just challenged for fourth the season before.

We didn’t know at the time they’d all turn out to be complete pony.

We didn't but we can all agree it shows based on fees alone that value for money is not really there in January.

Still early days for this lad.

Remember when everybody thought Michael Keane was a waste of money?

We can reflect upon how much was wasted - or not - once his Everton career is actually finished.

He has a tendency to leave us short in key positions.

Last summer CB this summer RW and ST.

Long 7 months to go without cover for either isn’t it?

Agreed, and its a direct correlation of money wasted in previous windows, both under his watch and others, that the budget can't stretch any further.

That's the real cost of dud signings, particularly when you overpay to the extent we did for some players, Iwobi and Kean being the foremost examples.

Last edited:
Agreed, and its a direct correlation of money wasted in previous windows, both under his watch and others, that the budget can't stretch any further.

That's the real cost of dud signings, particularly when you overpay to the extent we did for some players, Iwobi and Kean being the foremost examples.

We are now hopefully getting to the stage where 2/3 players a window.

We hope.

An injury to DCL and who we playing upfront?

When is Tosun back?

An injury to DCL and who we playing upfront?

Yerry Mina.

Nah, seriously, in an injury/suspension crisis, with no Dom and Richy, and Tosun still sidelined, then I have a feeling Carlo would tinker with the system and maybe use J-God, or Gylfi as a false 9.

I just can't see Ells Sims starting a league game any time soon even if those three are unavailable.

Could be wrong like.

Has somebody stolen your computer?

Two weeks ago you were saying Kean had potential to be world class. Almost every poster on here was cheering the re-signing of Gomes and let's at least give Gbamin a chance ffs

Im a fan of Kean without doubt mate, Gbamin id accept as bad luck, Gomes im up and down on. Its Delph and and Iwobi i cant reconcile given fees wages to value and contribution. I wouldnt have been a fan of selling some of the players he sold though that window either. Player trading he did poorly. But Its also that impact, last season was a write off, while you can sign players of a profile its the sum of the whole, we were caught short in two many lines or invested big in low quality. Most supporters hated and couldn't identify with the team, we were horrible to watch and we were regressive in terms of finishing position and subsequently lost money when we could of done with it as a result. We can all drink the cool aid now, now hes worked in conjunction with Carlo to get high quality players, but i dont think the impact of summer 19 should be wallpapered over.

Im not close minded on Brands or polarised as this debate tends to be at its lowest level. I think hes done some good but some bad as well, i look at last season and it was very damaging throughout the club on a number of fronts despite a fair investment and huge contribution in wages made by the club. I think that has prompeted another big investment this window for the sole purpose of wall papering over the cracks of mistakes made in recuritment the year before - that shouldnnt have been necessary - as much as i like th eplayers we signed this summer. I wouldn't wholly lay our performences last season at the feet of Brands but he needs to be accountable for his part of it as part of the management team.

Where i stand with him is ill praise him for the good i think he does and critique where i think he has made mistakes and the end of the day its just analysis, hes an officer of the club so accountable, hes on a fair wage to.

I don't mind him at all but think that's why people have a bone to pick with Iwobi though is the price tag, He's not put in stellar performances but he can be a useful player a la Brighton.

Anyway think it's a no brainer for Brands to stay while Ancelotti is here.
Not sure on the fee size mate. Two of the most maligned players on here have been Tom and Dom. One cost nothing and the other £1.5m. Richy who cost £40/50m depending on who you believe, never gets any stick.

Basically if you do the biz our supporters will leave you alone. If you don't then all bets are off. If you happen to have cost a load of money or are on huge wages, they're just extra sticks to beat you with.

Im a fan of Kean without doubt mate, Gbamin id accept as bad luck, Gomes im up and down on. Its Delph and and Iwobi i cant reconcile given fees wages to value and contribution. I wouldnt have been a fan of selling some of the players he sold though that window either. Player trading he did poorly. But Its also that impact, last season was a write off, while you can sign players of a profile its the sum of the whole, we were caught short in two many lines or invested big in low quality. Most supporters hated and couldn't identify with the team, we were horrible to watch and we were regressive in terms of finishing position and subsequently lost money when we could of done with it as a result. We can all drink the cool aid now, now hes worked in conjunction with Carlo to get high quality players, but i dont think the impact of summer 19 should be wallpapered over.

Im not close minded on Brands or polarised as this debate tends to be at its lowest level. I think hes done some good but some bad as well, i look at last season and it was very damaging throughout the club on a number of fronts despite a fair investment and huge contribution in wages made by the club. I think that has prompeted another big investment this window for the sole purpose of wall papering over the cracks of mistakes made in recuritment the year before - that shouldnnt have been necessary - as much as i like th eplayers we signed this summer. I wouldn't wholly lay our performences last season at the feet of Brands but he needs to be accountable for his part of it as part of the management team.

Where i stand with him is ill praise him for the good i think he does and critique where i think he has made mistakes and the end of the day its just analysis, hes an officer of the club so accountable, hes on a fair wage to.
Fair enough mate. But that doesn't exactly fit in with the horrible use of resources that we're still paying for comment.

As regards our disposals that window I too was saddened, but it would be wrong not to factor in that two of them didn't want to be here and we couldn't get a work permit for the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.