2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignoring loans and backup keepers (irrelevant in the grand scheme of things), these are the players he’s signed, right?

Richarlison

Digne
Mina
Bernard
Gomes

Iwobi
Kean
Gbamin
Delph
Branthwaite

Allan
Doucoure
Rodriguez
Nkounkou

Godfrey

I’d give him 3 more years. That second transfer window was abysmal but I’ll let him off. Gbamin has been injured constantly. Kean seemed like a coup but he’s been turd. Delph maybe made sense as backup but also bad. Iwobi was the real shocker as Brands got utterly desperate on deadline day.
No. Silva/Ancelotti signed those in bold. The rest - mostly duds - were Brands signings.

Do you want Ancelotti to;

1. Coach organise, and manage a football team and football matches,

or,

2. Keep an eye on Carlisle to see if they have a decent player or not?
Ancelotti has his own people with him. He can both identify and choose a top player AND delegate to others who he trusts.

The real question is this: do you want Brands to be in control of a £100M+ transfer budget each season?

He has a tendency to leave us short in key positions.

Last summer CB this summer RW and ST.

Long 7 months to go without cover for either isn’t it?

Takes all types mate.

I think you have to look at the whole thing as a cycle over three years, away from what I pointed out - his strength many would say is recruitment. I think we will actively look to shed his year one signings, Richarlison we might need to sell just for money. Digne is good.

I can’t reconcile his year 2, it’s was so bad. It was a horrible waste or resources that has and is costing the club - if I’m the owner and I’m looking at that I’m thinking WTF. Away from that though it was the impact, I’ll call it what it was after last summer - fans hated the team, they loved the club but hated the team, it was wet wheetabix.

Year 3, I think was brilliant, I’m delighted. The lightening rod is obvious. Its not our DOF. But I come back to this point, we spent 50 million on two central midfielders this summer, the summer before we spent close to 60 on three - there shouldn’t have been a need. Equally, the summer before we signed an attacking midfielder for 28 mill, we shouldn’t have had to sign Jamo. I love our signings this summer but we should never have had to wall paper over the cracks this summer, with the resources spent on the same positions the summer before.

If I was Moshiri these are the angles I’d be exploring and looking for answers on.
Has somebody stolen your computer?

Two weeks ago you were saying Kean had potential to be world class. Almost every poster on here was cheering the re-signing of Gomes and let's at least give Gbamin a chance ffs

Still don't think the Iwobi transfer was as bad as many make out. Speaks to the fact that Ancelotti rates him enough to have him 2nd choice behind a couple of players in the starting XI, namely Richarlison and James.

Still don't think the Iwobi transfer was as bad as many make out. Speaks to the fact that Ancelotti rates him enough to have him 2nd choice behind a couple of players in the starting XI, namely Richarlison and James.
It's not that signing Iwobi was a bad idea but the money we paid for him is pretty bad, Nearly 40m!

But he isnt.

They work together. Its called a team.

I know for the first time in the 3 years Brands has been here it looks like cash spent has been well spent. That's coincided with Ancelotti (it's been pretty universally accepted) having decided on the major signings this summer.

You can call it teamwork if you like, but it appears that Brands has a very different working relationship with Ancelotti than the one he had with Silva where he was without doubt the senior partner.

It's not that signing Iwobi was a bad idea but the money we paid for him is pretty bad, Nearly 40m!
The transfer fee is the transfer fee.

Agree it was a bit too much at the time, I deffo raised an eyebrow myself, but it just needs to be forgotten about. It's not like he's on £100k a week and not involved... he's still an integral part of the first team and is on a lower wage than a few at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.