2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I doubt david Copperfield could fix our squad in 3 windows I get that completely l. I agree with you we are least 5 years behind in 'project' terms.

For me though our last recruitment drive was far too much of a gamble. When really we needed quality and experience across the board. I feel we have come out weaker after the window and still the same problems remain that have done pre Brands. Arguably a couple more.

For that reason Brands has to be held accountable, I'm not a Silva fan either but a large portion of blame is on Brands this year.

He can't fix injured players and he can't the correct changes that Silva should be making. I also get that pointing fingers everywhere doesn't help. But none of this will improve if nobody is held accountable.

I just think currently minor issues are being magnified due to many factors.

I was reasonably happy with the business we did, I thought the lack of a CB would hurt us, but as yet our CBs havent had injuries or suspensions. Delph we knew would come with a risk, Gomes as well I suppose, but all 3 have had their problems this season so we are left with Snides getting games which is far from ideal.

So we have holes in our squad, that goes towards us not having a perfect squad.

I get that people feel Brands could have done more and maybe he could have, but it was never going to be perfect so soon, we have players who need to settle, players that need to shake off injury, things that happen to most teams.

Which is also why im not begging that Silva be sacked, just yet, if im allowing the players Brands signed time, I must afford Silva the same.

Maybe Brands did take a gamble with certain players, Kean of course stands out, but he aint gonna get better sitting on the bench for DCL.

Lets look at the fella's signings and rate them into the following categories

1. Top 6

2. 7th (not good enough to start for a top 6 club but would get in any side below)

3. 8-11th pack

4. Mid table

5. Not PL quality

Digne - Top 6

Richarlison- Top 7

Gomes - 8-11 bracket

Mina - 8-11 bracket but potential for top 7 with the right coaching

Kean - Mid Table as it stands

Gbamin - unknown

Sidibe - unknown

Lossl - Mid Table

So for me out of 8 signings only 2 of them would be comfortably in a top 7 side with the rest largely in the 8-11th Bracket.

Not good enough.

Needs a blinder of a January window to sort himself out or I would punt him.

I just think currently minor issues are being magnified due to many factors.

I was reasonably happy with the business we did, I thought the lack of a CB would hurt us, but as yet our CBs havent had injuries or suspensions. Delph we knew would come with a risk, Gomes as well I suppose, but all 3 have had their problems this season so we are left with Snides getting games which is far from ideal.

So we have holes in our squad, that goes towards us not having a perfect squad.

I get that people feel Brands could have done more and maybe he could have, but it was never going to be perfect so soon, we have players who need to settle, players that need to shake off injury, things that happen to most teams.

Which is also why im not begging that Silva be sacked, just yet, if im allowing the players Brands signed time, I must afford Silva the same.

Maybe Brands did take a gamble with certain players, Kean of course stands out, but he aint gonna get better sitting on the bench for DCL.
We have been lucky with injuries at the back so far. That's only half the issue for me as I don't think our cbs are good enough and we certainly don't have a partnership , they look quite forced at times and most good teams have great partnerships at cb. So I feel not only should have acquired cover but also improved.

Yep I agree Delph has never been consistently fit. I knew this as did Brands. We also knew Gomes blows hot and cold and we also knew Schnederlin is fraudulent. That leaves Gbamin and Davies who both still have a lot to prove and that is before injuries kicked in.

No squad is perfect but most seem to be better at filling those holes a lot better than we can. I feel that our right fullback and wing recruitment still have question Mark's over them along with the central issues.

I wouldn't I was expecting perfection but I was certainly expecting progress. It remains to be seen whether we have progressed as of yet though.

Brands certainly gets more time for me but not a free ride at all. I do think Silva is out of options and time though.

Yes kean was a risk but I think he will work out like you say as long as he's playing.

1. Top 6

2. 7th (not good enough to start for a top 6 club but would get in any side below)

3. 8-11th pack

4. Mid table

5. Not PL quality

Digne - Top 6

Richarlison- Top 7

Gomes - 8-11 bracket

Gbamin - unknown

Sidibe - unknown

Lossl - Mid Table

So for me out of 8 signings only 2 of them would be comfortably in a top 7 side with the rest largely in the 8-11th Bracket.

Not good enough.

Judging signings after 8 games is very bold.

1. Top 6

3. 8-11th pack

4. Mid table

5. Not PL quality

Digne - Top 6

Richarlison- Top 7

Gomes - 8-11 bracket

Gbamin - unknown

Sidibe - unknown

Lossl - Mid Table

Not good enough.

I think Iwobi and Bernard are good signings, also Digne for sure, apart from that it's either standard stuff, Mina was a waste of money though.
Kean looks like great potential but it's hard to judge when he sits of the bench.

I think Iwobi and Bernard are good signings, also Digne for sure, apart from that it's either standard stuff, Mina was a waste of money though.
Kean looks like great potential but it's hard to judge when he sits of the bench.

Forgot about those 2 -

Iwobi 8-11th
Bernard 8-11th

My point still stands- as awful as Silva is Brands has been signing players imo that are not good enough to comfortably have us top 7.

When you see clubs like West Ham and Wolves sign players like Haller, Anderson, Jimenez etc it puts his work so far into perspective.

When you see clubs like West Ham and Wolves sign players like Haller, Anderson, Jimenez etc it puts his work so far into perspective.
Thing is West Ham have a very good manager, who knows what he is doing, if he was here I'm sure he would have the authority to knock on Brands door and ask questions about signings, not a chance Silva could do that as he wouldn't have the knowledge and experience.
Nuno also knows how to build a squad.

1. Top 6

3. 8-11th pack

4. Mid table

5. Not PL quality

Digne - Top 6

Richarlison- Top 7

Gomes - 8-11 bracket

Gbamin - unknown

Sidibe - unknown

Lossl - Mid Table

Not good enough.

Gylfi - 8th-11th
Keane - 8th-11th
Coleman - 7th
DCL - not prem quality
Walcott - mid table
Schniederlin - lower mid table
Holgate - lower mid table

Thing is West Ham have a very good manager, who knows what he is doing, if he was here I'm sure he would have the authority to knock on Brands door and ask questions about signings, not a chance Silva could do that as he wouldn't have the knowledge and experience.
Nuno also knows how to build a squad.

Do they? That’s news, when did that happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.