Match Thread Manchester City v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the ideas of playing three at the back is that the two full backs can operate further up-field
and really influence things helping out the two midfielders and the attack. Never happened.

City's two wingers stood out wide and attacked and made themselves available. Our two wingers
never really contributed and never had a plan.

EFC, by being a man down upfield, lost possession to City and their clever, ball-players eventually found
the killer balls that the little no 9 thrives on.

Silva played a normal formation against LFC and nearly got a draw/win because the team competed in midfield.

Yesterday we surrendered midfield when the team sheet was announced.

I'm just not convinced. Silva doesn't seem to get even the basics of defending.
That first goal today as well when MOTD broke it down and showed pickford had no options shows how poor Silva's tactics are.

I didn’t see the break down, but I felt this game would have been drastically different with converting chances or without Minas poor play and marking.

One of the ideas of playing three at the back is that the two full backs can operate further up-field
and really influence things helping out the two midfielders and the attack. Never happened.

City's two wingers stood out wide and attacked and made themselves available. Our two wingers
never really contributed and never had a plan.

EFC, by being a man down upfield, lost possession to City and their clever, ball-players eventually found
the killer balls that the little no 9 thrives on.

Silva played a normal formation against LFC and nearly got a draw/win because the team competed in midfield.

Yesterday we surrendered midfield when the team sheet was announced.

This is fair. Right after the game I thought maybe he got it wrong and we should've come out with our typical 4-3-3. That being said, looking back at the game, we pushed their wingers farther out than they would normally operate and did make it harder for them. Coleman can't physically match Sane and Mahrez is just darn good, so that was a problem, but at least our FBs weren't defending these guys in the box all day. It did make it tougher for Pep to exploit the wide areas of the pitch.

We did concede a lot of possession to City, but my lord they can pass. Even without Debruyne for most of the game and David Silva. Fernandinho is just impressive. And even then, they only had 13 shots to our 9. We had chances. It was a long shot getting a result there, but we had chances. All a manager can do is set up the team to succeed.

I'm not sure you can fault Marco for the two headed goals. Keane and Mina just did not have the proper awareness to cover their man and/or space. The crosses were just perfect, the finishes perfect, but still, those are individual mistakes, not a by product of any system or anything. With 3 CBs, it should've been more easy to prevent that type of scenario ironically.

Winning away (vs for me, the best team in the country) is never gonna be easy. Godda be spot on in all departments.
We weren't really 'top drawer' in any, and weak in few crucial areas:
1. Marking. Look at the height of the guys who knocked in the headers
2. Pickford. Love the guy, but coulda / woulda / shoulda got something on all three
3. Pressing / cut off supply.... that 2nd / 3rd goal (uurrgh)
4. Tactics/ Organisation / Commitment
Agree with bits of both the last two comments, we looked nervous, and our application to the system we tried to play was patchy.

They're too good for that, on top of the gap in personnel quality in a few areas which are well documented.

Looking forward...

• We're on track for our berth of best of the rest, and a bit closer to the best than last system with better football mostly.
  • Let's get the MF and CF we need and give a bit more time to our back four to gel... they're getting there.
Peace and COYB

Didn't see the match tbh. Couldn't get chance to with life and stuff.

Getting beat by the reigning champions though, who moved to the top of the league in the process. It's kinda one of those results you don't put much stock into isn't it?

That match and the farcical nature of the goal has had a profound effect on both the players and the fans.

We badly need to beat Spurs next week to restore belief in the progress we were definitely making before the 96th minute at The Pit.

A bit like in Koeman"s first season when a win over Arsenal in December, which no one saw coming, ended a slump had lasted from mid September.

Spot on. We have to find a way to win next week however we do it.

Whilst elements of our performances against the top six have been encouraging, the team is in desperate need of pushing through the hard-luck barrier and actually getting a result. It doesn't matter how they do it.

At first glance you might be right, it remains to be seen if after numerous glances you're not wrong.

Seems to me we're only halfway there and Silva needs more time...and money - don't they always?
At the moment we seem to be half a team who play half a game against half the league and half the time our tactics and personal picked are the wrong half for which ever half of the league we happen to be playing against.
Short version; glass not only half empty but tastes like cats pee.

Its also a worry that two of our more decently performing players, Gomes and Zouma are loanees, with no guarantee of staying
The thing is we're learning a new game, lots of new players who need time to gel. I'm not too concerned looking at the quality of player we've brought in. Not sure what it'll take to crack the top 6 though

Out of interest, have we had a truly standout performance this season yet ? My memory is shocking but genuinely can't think of one match where I was like 'yeah we look good, this is promising for the future'.

Beating Fulham 3-0 seems to be peak Everton this season...
You're spot on, we are fantastically mediocre, to look at we are much better passing it about and creating more chances than last season but the results aren't any better. I'll give Solva the benefit of the doubt we've had 2 summers of big spending meaning players haven't had a decent spell of time to gel. We need 3 signings in the next 2 windows, Gomes in permanent, a replacement for Coleman and a bloody striker who can score goals. Every season that we buy 4-5-6 players for the first team is another season of settling in. Some consistancy with playing staff is needed sooner rather than later.

Fair enough mate, so every mistake is his fault then?Missed chances,poor goalkeeping in the 96th minute of games is all Marcos fault?
No that was a goalkeeper mistake against Liverpool and we all make mistakes in life but yesterday he was asking for the ball to be played from the back and the tactics were wrong if as motd showed the midfield had been asked to stand in the wrong positions.

No that was a goalkeeper mistake against Liverpool and we all make mistakes in life but yesterday he was asking for the ball to be played from the back and the tactics were wrong if as motd showed the midfield had been asked to stand in the wrong positions.
Not fair lad, no matter what tactics we go out with against City away there is a very good chance we get a trimming much like every other team in the league.

Not fair lad, no matter what tactics we go out with against City away there is a very good chance we get a trimming much like every other team in the league.
I'm not saying I don't accept an away defeat to any top six side mate but you have to give yourself a chance. I no there a fantastic team

I agree to some extent. But I'm not sure the evidence suggests getting the first goal changes the dynamic of games for us. (Haven't checked.)

I do think the converse is true though -- it's definitely worse for us to concede the first goal.

I was referring to all the goal chances yesterday not us getting the first goal to be honest.. We've lost the initiative many a time in my long in the tooth years after scoring first though.... unfortunately !!

Status
Not open for further replies.