Match Thread Manchester City v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a fair few chances, more than most teams create against them, especially at home. With a proper striker, we could very possibly cause serious problems for these teams in the so-called Top Six. All the time we don’t have that striker, we’re going to be having this conversation about decent performances, taking the game to them, etc, but walking away with nowt. My current view is still that this is a transitional season, we’re playing OK, etc, and that we need to see what the window brings. If we can get a decent striker and a RB to compete with the sixty grand man, we can do well this season.

A brilliant striker would definitely help, I still don't think it'd be enough to win games against the top 6 away from home.

Yes we've had chances against them that we have spurned but the overall pattern of the games show the top 6 are still well ahead of us overall. We will never know what would have happened had Richarlison opened the scoring today but I still think City win comfortably. They and the other sides just have more gears to shift through that we can't live with right now.

I mean we weren't even good in that match tbh, they were starting to dominate us until they got a red card and even then we were hanging on at the end.

Results wise was probably standout performance though I admit.

Honestly had Jordan not had a brain fart, the Derby would have been our best performance IMO.

Marco should have been able to build off of that performance. Sadly we've been awful since.

No Tel, but I don't judge a season on one game

Wolves away, individual error, leads to rash challenge , leads to red card and goal. 2 point dropped.

Saints home home win, Wasted chances could have cost us

Bournemouth away Individual error means 10 men , get 2-0 up , draw , 2 points dropped

Huddersfield 1-1 with a relegation candate.

Westham home , they yet to win , 3-1 loss

Arsenal away, wasted 3 good chances before they score leave with no points

Fulham home , convicting home win

Saints home , them struggling in league , out of cup after 2 games

Leicester very good away win

Palace home win , palace missed pen and two late goals

Man U bad decision from ref makes it hard but play well and get nothing from the game

Brighton home , very dominant performance , comfortable home win

Chelsea away very organised and good away performance , good point earned

Cardiff home , whipping boys of league , 1-0 win didn’t create much

RS wasteful in front of goal , individual error costs us the game 1 point dropped

Newcastle home , poor infront of goal and lack of creativity , two point dropped

Watford home , decent side that bullied us , missed pen , needed a last minute free kick to get a point

Man city battered from start to finish , they are a good side but we looked like a Sunday league team with or errors and passing , or lack of it

Looking back we either “play well” and get beat against the good sides , or struggle to break down the lower sides. Not many games in that list that we had convincing wins and performances against.

And had we hit the target we may have scored three or more. More than one way to play football.

Arsenal we didn’t even shoot when 1-1 with the GK. Missed another 1-1 later
Man U missed an open goal and he also had an option of passing
Chelsea missed from a yard out
RS missed from 2-3 yards out
Newcastle missed from 2-3 yards ou

We have played arse, Man U, chelsea , RS and now city . EVERY single one of those games we have said “ could have been different” because we have wasted chances , and I’m talking about very easy chances too.

Overall id say we are watching a much different EFC to what we had to suffer last season. Every game this season we have created chances and against the best teams we are not far off, every one of the top 6 knows they've been in a game as a work in progress we will finish top 7, and when he gets to spend a few more quid Marco will have us up there,

I’m liking Silva though.

We need to be better.

But unlike in years past I felt like we kept our bite. Not nearly good enough, but if we had simply taken our chances who knows.
I'm just not convinced. Silva doesn't seem to get even the basics of defending.
That first goal today as well when MOTD broke it down and showed pickford had no options shows how poor Silva's tactics are.

At the risk of repeating myself.
If we convert our chances we are a danger to them no matter how good they are.
Its not just agst City it happens every week now.
Other than the save off Keanes attempted clearance and the obvious 3 avoidable goals the defence and keeper looked comfortable.
At 2-1 Pep held his plans for his subs , so he was obviously concerned.
If it got to 2-2 anything can happen.

Must start taking our chances and sign a propper centre forward.
The defence was awful. I want a solid defence not a comfortable one.
Sterling scored from a header!

Status
Not open for further replies.