Match Thread Manchester City(1) Vs Everton(2) - Capital One Cup - Semi Final 2nd Leg - Weds 27th Jan - 19:45 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with you having opinions, but I accept there's probably some frustration.

It's not with you, it's with everyone who's whinging about the extra time issue, not just in this match but also the Bournemouth
and Chelsea matches. The correct amount of ET was played in all of them and those who don't agree need to acquaint themselves
with how it works.

And I'd bet my life that the last goal was onside. Sorry if you thought I was being offensive to you. I didn't mean to.

I appreciate you coming back from that. No worries mate.

I didn't watch the third goal more than the replay immediately following the goal... Aguero looked JUST offside to me, but I'll concede it was very close. Maybe the BeInSport broadcast froze it at the wrong point, who knows. That second goal that was Sterling to De Bruyne should have definitely been disallowed, though.

With regards to the stoppage time, I get how it works. From what I remember, the match stopped at 89:00 when de Bruyne went down in the box. Play did not resume until 92:00, and there was plenty of Man City time wasting going on when stoppage time finally started, certainly at least 30 seconds of it. They don't decide the stoppage time right at 90:00 minutes - I can't count how many times I've heard the decision come well before 90:00. I seriously doubt they added another minute after the injury occurred. The match should have been an extra 3 and a half minutes and ended at 98:30 rather than 97:20.

I didn't watch the third goal more than the replay immediately following the goal... Aguero looked JUST offside to me, but I'll concede it was very close. Maybe the BeInSport broadcast froze it at the wrong point, who knows. That second goal that was Sterling to De Bruyne should have definitely been disallowed, though.

With regards to the stoppage time, I get how it works. From what I remember, the match stopped at 89:00 when de Bruyne went down in the box. Play did not resume until 92:00, and there was plenty of Man City time wasting going on when stoppage time finally started, certainly at least 30 seconds of it. They don't decide the stoppage time right at 90:00 minutes - I can't count how many times I've heard the decision come well before 90:00. I seriously doubt they added another minute after the injury occurred. The match should have been an extra 3 and a half minutes and ended at 98:30 rather than 97:20.

I record every Everton match and I've been able to go back and check out controversial ET issues. I can't allow for anything a ref might add
during extra time like time wasting, but play was held up for exactly 2min' - 40sec' for de Bruynes injury. Add that to the 5 minutes on the
board and there's your 97.40 which is when the whistle blew.

Don't think another minute would've changed anything, anyway mate. We'll have to win the FA Cup instead, eh?

Could not go to the game.
Could not watch it live because of work.
Got out of meeting at 9.30 and got text for score and heard last 3 minutes or so.
Was certain we would go through if we scored so gutted by that.
So unlucky with a deflection again.
Blatantly robbed over the second goal and Atkinson should be able to see from his position so I suspect he did!!
But unpressurized cross for simple headed goal....AGAIN..... That is absolutely our own fault.
They have so many good players it is a real challenge but we were close over the two games. Should have had a two goal lead from the first game in terms of dominance. Deulofeu is a great winger but not so good on 1 on 1s so it was a shame that excellent chance fell to him and the changes did not work well. Ending most important match of season away at City with Osman, Cleverly and Koné on pitch with match having turned in 6 minutes from defending lead to having to chase goal was a nightmare. No chance of a grandstand finish or winning in extra time at that point. Koné has had his little purple patch of effectiveness unfortunately and we have just sold a decent finisher although not a great player leaving us threadbare up front in a team which has to keep scoring a lot to make up for soft goals being let in. Absolutely gutting but got to get behind them in next few matches.

I record every Everton match and I've been able to go back and check out controversial ET issues. I can't allow for anything a ref might add
during extra time like time wasting, but play was held up for exactly 2min' - 40sec' for de Bruynes injury. Add that to the 5 minutes on the
board and there's your 97.40 which is when the whistle blew.

Don't think another minute would've changed anything, anyway mate. We'll have to win the FA Cup instead, eh?

That's not how added time works, Jeff.

Let's say that there were already 3 minutes to add when de Bruyne was injured.

And let's say that there there was 1 minute of the original 45 minutes of the second half remaining.

When play restarted, the referee should have allowed 3 + 1 minutes of play, regardless of how long it took to treat de Bruyne.

He should have allowed just this 3 + 1 minutes of play even if there were further delays.

If play stopped after 89 minutes, there was just 1 minute more to play.

If there had already been, say, 3 minutes wasted in the second half, play should continue for 1 + 3 minutes more, regardless of how long it took to treat de Bruyne.

If there is a further interruption, the game should end when the 1 + 3 minutes play has been completed.

Got out of meeting at 9.30 and got text for score and heard last 3 minutes or so.
Blatantly robbed over the second goal and Atkinson should be able to see from his position so I suspect he did!!
But unpressurized cross for simple headed goal....AGAIN..... That is absolutely our own fault.
They have so many good players it is a real challenge but we were close over the two games. Should have had a two goal lead from the first game in terms of dominance. Deulofeu is a great winger but not so good on 1 on 1s so it was a shame that excellent chance fell to him and the changes did not work well. Ending most important match of season away at City with Osman, Cleverly and Koné on pitch with match having turned in 6 minutes from defending lead to having to chase goal was a nightmare. No chance of a grandstand finish or winning in extra time at that point. Koné has had his little purple patch of effectiveness unfortunately and we have just sold a decent finisher although not a great player leaving us threadbare up front in a team which has to keep scoring a lot to make up for soft goals being let in. Absolutely gutting but got to get behind them in next few matches.

Good points mate, but Osman went off on 60 mins, and he played very well for those 60 minutes as well. If only he could run...

thats horrible :( unlucky mate i feel you .. my dad lives in another
country said text him let him know how it goes he had to sleep 'was 1-0 up'
worst feeling ever he woke up with the message 'im done'

I'm not saying the board have acquiesced on the specific issue of Howard, just that if they've given Martinez assurance about his future if certain targets are met then he will feel emboldened to carry on his pattern of team choice for the league and cup competitions.

Fair enough mate. My reply was part rant anyway.

Curious though, what targets do you think were set? It doesn't feel were hitting any apart from "don't get relegated"? And even that could happen based on current form.

If play stopped after 89 minutes, there was just 1 minute more to play.

If there had already been, say, 3 minutes wasted in the second half, play should continue for 1 + 3 minutes more, regardless of how long it took to treat de Bruyne.

If there is a further interruption, the game should end when the 1 + 3 minutes play has been completed.

There are two possibilities in that case. If that final minute had been added to the board when it went up the match should have
ended at 96.40 because the game restarted at 91.40, in which case Atkinson allowed a minute too much. If that last minute of
the 90 hadn't been added it should have ended at 97.40, which it did.

Have you heard about this new proposal to make the game go for 60 minutes? A timekeeper will stop the clock every time play is held up and start it again when play resumes. The game will end when the hours up and ref won't be the one making the decision.

It's been assessed that on average the ball is only in play for an hour. It's the idea of the favourite candidate for the FIFA presidency.

Anyway, I'm going to bed Stan - it's midnight here - and we'll resume the debate later if we need to.

I am going to assume that even tho it has been a couple of days the lump in throat and rumble in my belly is still direct result of the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.