Match Thread Manchester City(1) Vs Everton(2) - Capital One Cup - Semi Final 2nd Leg - Weds 27th Jan - 19:45 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at this realistically, City are a top side and one of the favourites for the title (and now for the Capital One Cup) and yet Everton only lost by the odd goal in 7 over the 2 legs, as well as holding them to a goal-less draw in the league game in the meantime. So those people saying there's no hope for us need to have a rethink.

With all the silly points we have thrown away this season WE should be a top (four) side, but we are not. And it is down to the Manager's game Management, and how he coaches the team. It's no good playing gallantly against Man City, while being twatted at home by Swansea (and other average teams in recent months)...

Calm down, you have your opinions I have mine. Your opinions aren't divinely fact.

Coleman looked fit when he came on. Do you have inside info? Martinez said both he an McCarthy were fit. I have to take his word over yours. Sorry

Stones got away with a penalty in the league game. Got caught out by Sterling because he's not a rb. The officials gave us a clean sheet that day.

Didn't think Osman did well. A couple of good passes i grant you. Class is permanent. Unfortunately he's too slow these days. Navas was brought on to exploit that.

At least we agree about Kone

I don't get this. Martinez has done this several times though now - Barnsley & Norwich in the cup instantly spring to mind. When we are favourites or have something to defend like last night he starts with a weakened team and/or players out of position eg Stones at right back instead of a potentially stronger (but not completely fit) Coleman at right back. And then when we are chasing he makes substitutes to try and win back the game. Surely in these instances you start with your best team to put added time pressure on your opponents ??

City had 19 attempts to 4 and hit the post twice. Yes they were awarded a goal that definitely should have been disallowed but they have a case in saying that Barkleys goal should have been disallowed also.

We weren't robbed by the officials we were never going to withstand their assault the way we set up, as in the same way we set up every match and with (it hurts to say this) Leon Osman as a passenger, cleverly on the pitch and our first choice RB warming the bench so stones could be shoe horned into the team.
You don't really know that though. They were extremely dominant in the second half of the league game and didn't score.

The audacity I have to give an opinion on a message board. Like your opinion that at least two are dead wrong.

No need to take your frustration out on me, pal.
I have no problem with you having opinions, but I accept there's probably some frustration.

It's not with you, it's with everyone who's whinging about the extra time issue, not just in this match but also the Bournemouth
and Chelsea matches. The correct amount of ET was played in all of them and those who don't agree need to acquaint themselves
with how it works.

And I'd bet my life that the last goal was onside. Sorry if you thought I was being offensive to you. I didn't mean to.

So did I, and I remember the ball going well over the line but not the foul on Nev.

Here you are. I know it's from Wiki, but here's the details re the 1997-98 season: "...Everton endured their most difficult season for some 50 years. They finished 17th in the Premiership and only avoided relegation because they had a stronger goal difference than 18th-placed Bolton, although Bolton had a goal wrongfully disallowed against Everton in the first ever match played at The Reebok Stadium. Replays show that Nathan Blake had his elbow in Neville Southalls face so justice was done..."

Here's the link if you want to reference it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997–98_in_English_football

I try and put things into perspective, we were never favourites to beat city, the fact we were 3-1 up at one stage on aggregate is a miracle in itself and like we did against chelsea and bournemouth we bottled it to some degree. Yes deflections and poor referee decisions contributed to that downfall but nonetheless when you compare our squad on paper to city's its a no brainer.

Our attacking threats were:

Lukaku - 28 mil
Barkley - 0 mil
Deulofeu - 4.2 mil
Osman - 0 mil

subs:
Kone - undisclosed but rumoured to be 5 mil

Total - £37.2 mil

vs.

David Silva - 24 mil
Yaya Toure - 24 mil
Raheem Sterling - 44 mil