Managing Expectations and ‘That Lot’

Status
Not open for further replies.
....i’m really not sure that’s true. For me, we should have a definite target of being the no1 team in the City. If we achieve that aim, so much more will fall into place.
maybe I am contradicting myself from my previous reply but there is truth to that. When watching old interviews of the 80s the players knew they were good enough to win things when they went to Anfield & beat them when Sharpy scored. Maybe the way we are improving if we was to go there in December & beat them it would help us big time in progressing

He is not wrong. The better Liverpool do causes more pressure on us the fans expectations.

It’s unfortunately true. People look at their mates going to European away days and going out on the lash after winning trophies and get jealous. The demand for us to match that then ramps up. And they don’t want to wait, they want a piece of it RIGHT NOW OR ELSE.

If 7th is the best we can hope for at the end of February then he could end up sacked whether we get there or not.

...I doubt it, Bob. Hopefully we are top6 but I think it would take something disastrous for Silva to be sacked mid-season. I doubt Moshiri will want the turmoil of another manager appointment whilst so much is going on with the stadium development etc.

Silva is the man he wanted and I can’t see him being booted.

It’s unfortunately true. People look at their mates going to European away days and going out on the lash after winning trophies and get jealous. The demand for us to match that then ramps up. And they don’t want to wait, they want a piece of it RIGHT NOW OR ELSE.

Did anyone who remembered the FA cup win in 1984, give a toss about the rs winning three trophies that season?I seriously doub't it.There will always be demands and expectations, that a club of Evertons history heritage and tradition, should be competing for and winning trophies.As for waiting, is 25 years not long enough to be waiting for a trophy?So i think we as a fanbase, are well versed in the art of patience!

Did anyone who remembered the FA cup win in 1984, give a toss about the rs winning three trophies that season?I seriously doub't it.There will always be demands and expectations, that a club of Evertons history heritage and tradition, should be competing for and winning trophies.As for waiting, is 25 years not long enough to be waiting for a trophy?So i think we as a fanbase, are well versed in the art of patience!

The thing is, it isn’t 1984 anymore mate, it’s 2019. This is an entirely different generation of fans with a different mindset.

Doesn’t matter how long we’ve had to wait, we aren’t entitled to anything. Success doesn’t just spring up overnight, Liverpool winning the Champions League is a result of the second best manager in the world being given 4 years and £400m to build a team. Some of our fans were demanding we crack the top 6 and demolish every team below us home and away in Silva’s first season, despite us only just coming out of the Koeman holocaust era. It’s unrealistic.

I saw this interesting bit in Garth Crook’s team of the week on the BBC website. What do blues think on this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49388521

Bernard: This was a performance reminiscent of Everton legend the late, great Alan Ball. Bernard was full of energy and ingenuity. All 5ft 4in of him ran the show at Goodison Park against Watford.

Everton currently lie eighth in the table with Bournemouth above them after two games. The problem with Everton is managing expectations.

Should the Toffees finish in the top six then their manager survives. Anything short of that then Everton's fans will start asking their usual questions. It's unfortunate for Marco Silva that Liverpool are doing so well but that's what this is all about.
The bit about Bournemouth is mystifying. How anybody can seriously think that league position means anything when nobody has played more than two games (and a couple of teams haven't even done that!)? The implication that Silva might be sacked if we don't finish in the top six is crazy too.

....i’m really not sure that’s true. For me, we should have a definite target of being the no1 team in the City. If we achieve that aim, so much more will fall into place.

So if they were in the conference we'd be happy to be midtable every year? Aim to be the best team we can be and everything will fall into place.

The thing is, it isn’t 1984 anymore mate, it’s 2019. This is an entirely different generation of fans with a different mindset.

Doesn’t matter how long we’ve had to wait, we aren’t entitled to anything. Success doesn’t just spring up overnight, Liverpool winning the Champions League is a result of the second best manager in the world being given 4 years and £400m to build a team. Some of our fans were demanding we crack the top 6 and demolish every team below us home and away in Silva’s first season, despite us only just coming out of the Koeman holocaust era. It’s unrealistic.

Who said anything about demolishing teams and blowing everyone away?I just said that a club like Everton will always have expectations, irrespective of what that other lot do or don't do.We were mid table at one point last season under Silva, and we were dumped out of the cup by Millwall.The anger was justified, but all credit to Silva for turning it around.

its two games in, the table is irrelevant. We are 8th on Goal difference, Technically we sit Joint 3rd! We are also on the same points as Man City, Tottenham, Bournemouth, Brighton and Sheffield Utd.

Garth Crooks is a muppet of the highest order, Kermit the Frog would be a better sports pundit than him, he has been stealing a living from the BBC for donkeys years, we should all be outraged, as we pay for it through our licence fee.

Lets have a look at the table after about 10 games, I think that gives a better indication of how things are going

Status
Not open for further replies.