Managing Expectations and ‘That Lot’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said anything about demolishing teams and blowing everyone away?I just said that a club like Everton will always have expectations, irrespective of what that other lot do or don't do.We were mid table at one point last season under Silva, and we were dumped out of the cup by Millwall.The anger was justified, but all credit to Silva for turning it around.

Mate, we had fans calling for Silva's head after FIVE games when we lost to West Ham. Don't tell me that was justified.

its two games in, the table is irrelevant. We are 8th on Goal difference, Technically we sit Joint 3rd! We are also on the same points as Man City, Tottenham, Bournemouth, Brighton and Sheffield Utd.

Garth Crooks is a muppet of the highest order, Kermit the Frog would be a better sports pundit than him, he has been stealing a living from the BBC for donkeys years, we should all be outraged, as we pay for it through our licence fee.

Lets have a look at the table after about 10 games, I think that gives a better indication of how things are going

Don't come round here being reasonable...

We need to establish ourselves as the 'best of the rest' consistently. Like it or not we had that mantle under Moyes. Where we failed to capitalise, and have subsequently failed (such as Martinez's first season) is to maintain the position while performing in Europe as well.

European football is essential this season to improving our reputation as well as a continuation of improvement to the playing staff and off the field (BM should help).

Regardless of what Liverpool are doing, we need to be established as a consistent top 7 team and regularly playing European Football.

Mate, we had fans calling for Silva's head after FIVE games when we lost to West Ham. Don't tell me that was justified.

Im talking about that period when we around 11th and after losing to Millwall, and there was soft goals being conceded all over the place.I felt that the bare minimum expectation was 7th, and we couldn't quite make it there.But back on topic, when we hopefully win some trophies again.Then the noisy neighbours will be an irrelevance.

My expectations fwiw.
To improve every season with a plan in place for continuity.
I believe it will take 6 transfer windows ( incomings & outgoings) to form a squad capable of challenging for honours .
We've had 3 of those 6 and can see it taking shape a little ahead of schedule.
The form back end of last season was excellent going toe to toe with top 6 sides and even beating some of them.
Comparisons with our neighbours mean nothing to me at all , although i can understand fans wanting to be best club in the city.
The two derby games where significant as "they" will know they where very fortunate to take 4 points from them games and we where more than a match for them.
We wont win every game but as long as we keep improving till we are in a position to 'challenge' then we are on the right track.
Brands told us this is no quick fix and its what i expect .
A trophy (any trophy) plus europe at this stage would be a bonus. But for now the plan looks safe & sound.

To me how the RS are doing has no bearing on us until we are actually ready to compete with them. Yes would be great to be ahead of them like we did a while back, but then they used their status and financial muscle to address that balance.

We need to have incremental progress to start challenging the top 6, then 4, win some trophies and go consistently deep into European tournaments. Once we become a really attractive destination for top players then we can have a look at what their doing. The focus should all be on what we do not others.

How Liverpool are doing is far from the most important thing, but it's daft to suggest it's irrelevant. It's hard to stomach them getting better and doing the things they're doing at the best of times, but if we're struggling it makes it even worse. I don't really think it's fair to have a go at fans for being impatient about it either, when you've not won a trophy for 25 years and haven't even won a derby for about 8 it's not that surprising that fans can sometimes seem a bit desperate for something to happen. We'll keep turning up though, even if it doesn't, so no real need to mock people for wanting the team to get better.

Don't get me wrong, I hope that lot lose every single game they take part in, and preferably get absolutely thrashed. But that's not going to happen and we have to accept that.

They won the champions league last year and it wasn't an enjoyable experience at all. But the sun came up the next morning and life went on. As long as we do better this season than we did last season then that's all that really matters.

If we can beat them along the way or if they have a poor run at some stage then even better. But it doesn't really matter what they do outside of our 2 matches a year, and we need to get into a mindset where we realise we are more important than them and that they should not define us.

Absolute muppet that man. Just as if anyone can get a reliable and accurate reading on the league table and performances after 2 games. You could say that Everton are amongst 6 teams joint third or that they are just 3 points from top or 4 points from bottom. Nothing Garth says is worth reading. Just non stop meaningless codswallop.

That entire quotation is ridiculous. Bernard played ok yet is being compared to probably our greatest midfielder of all time and potentially England’s greatest midfielder maybe even player of all time. Then he is talking about Bournemouth being ahead of us after two games. A completely ridiculous quotation from another media fool.

Is it just me or are most people focusing on the wrong part of the quote in here?

Surely the point the OP was making was the final line about Liverpool. And he's probably right unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.