Managing Expectations and ‘That Lot’

Status
Not open for further replies.
in theory yes I agree totally but we have bubbleheads amongst our fan base who have to drag them in to it all the time. When the images of BM were released there was plenty on here who were posting things like "ah the kopites heads will fall off" they are European champions ffs beating the likes of Barcelona etc en route they honestly don't give a [Poor language removed]. Garth Crooks has always been a divvy but that brass neck comment the other year still grinds my gears
I agree we have become almost irrelevant as a football team to them. But believe me the majority do care about our new stadium. Especially the locals. From the outset they thought it a big joke and now its getting closer they arent laughing so much. They really dont want it to happen.

I saw this interesting bit in Garth Crook’s team of the week on the BBC website. What do blues think on this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49388521

Bernard: This was a performance reminiscent of Everton legend the late, great Alan Ball. Bernard was full of energy and ingenuity. All 5ft 4in of him ran the show at Goodison Park against Watford.

Everton currently lie eighth in the table with Bournemouth above them after two games. The problem with Everton is managing expectations.

Should the Toffees finish in the top six then their manager survives. Anything short of that then Everton's fans will start asking their usual questions. It's unfortunate for Marco Silva that Liverpool are doing so well but that's what this is all about.
This is the nicest thing Garth has ever written about us. He actually mentioned one of our players in his team of the week without selling him.

He's only in thete because he scored.

How Liverpool are doing is far from the most important thing, but it's daft to suggest it's irrelevant. It's hard to stomach them getting better and doing the things they're doing at the best of times, but if we're struggling it makes it even worse. I don't really think it's fair to have a go at fans for being impatient about it either, when you've not won a trophy for 25 years and haven't even won a derby for about 8 it's not that surprising that fans can sometimes seem a bit desperate for something to happen. We'll keep turning up though, even if it doesn't, so no real need to mock people for wanting the team to get better.

Yep always find it odd when our own fans call us impatient.

Man Utd and Chelsea fans kicking off - yes very impatient

Everton fans kicking off - 24 years with no trophy, 8-9 years with no derby win and recent seasons finishing bottom half, poor showings in the cups and Sam Alladyce as manager- we have every right to be fed up and want better especially with the money being spent these days.

I thought I'd never hear the last of them winning the European cup but it hasn't been that bad. As soon as we win something, I'll be talking about it for months on end. Then again, I do live and work away from Liverpool so probably just havent seen it.

I agree we have become almost irrelevant as a football team to them. But believe me the majority do care about our new stadium. Especially the locals. From the outset they thought it a big joke and now its getting closer they arent laughing so much. They really dont want it to happen.
I am a local mate, my red mates who go the game are & honestly don't care. They only say it will be good for the city. Any bragging we think we have is not as big as we think. Maybe when it is built they will envy it but it all boils down to on the pitch matters not new stands or stadiums

I saw this interesting bit in Garth Crook’s team of the week on the BBC website. What do blues think on this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49388521

Bernard: This was a performance reminiscent of Everton legend the late, great Alan Ball. Bernard was full of energy and ingenuity. All 5ft 4in of him ran the show at Goodison Park against Watford.

Everton currently lie eighth in the table with Bournemouth above them after two games. The problem with Everton is managing expectations.

Should the Toffees finish in the top six then their manager survives. Anything short of that then Everton's fans will start asking their usual questions. It's unfortunate for Marco Silva that Liverpool are doing so well but that's what this is all about.

:dodgy: It's almost as if he gets paid to sensationalise his views. Nobody wants to hear fence-sitters, they don't get viewers.

So if they were in the conference we'd be happy to be midtable every year? Aim to be the best team we can be and everything will fall into place.

....ha, ha. If they slip out of the PL that would be enough.

The bias towards them is obvious, and not just for those of us who live in the City. We need to keep the moral high ground and aim to become the better football team. It will be some achievement if we can then maintain that status because rewards and success will come.

All Silva can do is improve on his own performance - that should be his measuring stick - not what another club does (who have spent infinitely more money than us in the Premier League era).

As much as I loathe everything about that despicable cult, them performing well and even (God forbid), winning the league should have no impact on Silva's position. It should absolutely be based on our own performance.

I am a local mate, my red mates who go the game are & honestly don't care. They only say it will be good for the city. Any bragging we think we have is not as big as we think. Maybe when it is built they will envy it but it all boils down to on the pitch matters not new stands or stadiums
That's not what I've experienced mate. I agree in football terms we don't even exist as far as they're concerned, although one mate did admit to me that, after PSG, we were the best team they had played at Anfield all season.

But as regards the stadium, most RS fans I've come across thought it was a huge joke and it would never happen. They've stopped laughing now and are saying they don't care and all that matters is the team. But when it's built I guarantee they'll be looking on in envy. I know I would if it were the other way around. It's only natural.

I just hope we have a team deserving of it by the time we kick off there.

Most reds I know see it as being good for the city as a whole.
The ground isn’t built and they are streets ahead of so of course they are not going to be bothered about us at the moment.
Unless we improve on the pitch it won’t change either, doesn’t matter what ground you have if you don’t compete on the pitch.

I think it’s cringey when I hear Everton fans calling them Big stand FC, that makes us sound a lot more bothered about there ground than our own club.

I don't expect us to crack the top six this season, but I do want to see us close the gap in points terms. As a minimum we should be able to comfortably finish seventh.

I'd like to see us 15 points better off, I think we can do it.

We can then look to next summer and try again to bring players in that will plug the current gaps and bring us closer still.

In the context of the "other lot", I don't think it has much bearing on Silva really. They will always dominate media coverage, positively or negatively, regardless of how they are doing, together with Utd, and City now too. It's very unfortunate, but the only difference is that they pushed through and won something last time around.

If Atletico Madrid can not only survive, but thrive in the presence of the world's biggest club as their neighbour, then in time, we can do the same. There are even parallels for Spurs emerging from Arsenal's shadow. I can recall Spurs being nothing other than a laughing stock as far as Arsenal fans were concerned. Not anymore.

I don't expect us to crack the top six this season, but I do want to see us close the gap in points terms. As a minimum we should be able to comfortably finish seventh.

I'd like to see us 15 points better off, I think we can do it.

We can then look to next summer and try again to bring players in that will plug the current gaps and bring us closer still.

In the context of the "other lot", I don't think it has much bearing on Silva really. They will always dominate media coverage, positively or negatively, regardless of how they are doing, together with Utd, and City now too. It's very unfortunate, but the only difference is that they pushed through and won something last time around.

If Atletico Madrid can not only survive, but thrive in the presence of the world's biggest club as their neighbour, then in time, we can do the same. There are even parallels for Spurs emerging from Arsenal's shadow. I can recall Spurs being nothing other than a laughing stock as far as Arsenal fans were concerned. Not anymore.

I preach it all the time - but the only way we'll ever overtake that lot is if we get in a top drawer manager.

Silva may or may not become one in the future but right now he isnt.

Spurs and Athletico are only where they are because of Simeone and Poch (and RS and Klopp) - put a middle tier manager in charge for 4 years and they'll both slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.