Match Thread Man Utd v Everton. Saturday Oct 2nd.12.30 pm

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a former amateur keeper at Mickey Mouse level, all I can say is that any deflection is often fatal for a goalkeeper. That's because an element of goalkeeping involves using muscle memory to anticipate the likely trajectory of a shot. If a player uses his right foot and is in a certain situation, the goalkeeper's mind is already subconsciously cycling through 1,000 memories of this almost exact situation. He will then anticipate the likely trajectory of the shot and make his move - often in advance - as close to the moment the player makes contact with the ball as possible. Pickford probably had the Cavani shot covered - but the Uruguayan got lucky with the deflection. Or if you are really critical, you could argue that our defender got caught between making a clean block and just getting out of the bloody way. Worst of both worlds for the keeper and a prime example of those moments when it would be better for him if the defender was slightly late with his contact.
Martial scored fella.

Like many I was indifferent to the Benitez appointment but given our plight accepted that we had no alternative but to hang on tightly and go along with the ride. I think the results speak for themselves and all I can say is long may it continue.
I am impressed by the way we have been coming back from being a goal down.
Previous seasons we'd have lost those games.

Only way I could get in was to get Tickets in the United end, 20 or so seats away from the barrier. The away section was great. Honestly, you were amazing. The noise echoed across the stand, often silencing the United lot.

I’ve been using a friends OT season ticket for a couple of weeks now, the United faithful aren’t happy at all with Ole at the moment, despite this all we’re giving it big spuds before the match, saying they were going to roll us with the team sheet we put out. Despite the team selection we made it hard for united to get any rhythm, Rondon pressuring Varane, Mina’s s***housery, Townsend and Godfrey linking up well.

Gordon done well, after a ropey opening 15/20 mins, a quick spat with Allan at a Corner he ended up putting a shift in and helping cover Wan Bissaka’s runs, before this Digne was getting over run with both AWB and Greenwood.

Allan is nuts, you could hear his voice over nearby fans no issue, Gordon got what he was saying clearly. Doucs is also a tank, Doucs MOTM for me.

As a former amateur keeper at Mickey Mouse level, all I can say is that any deflection is often fatal for a goalkeeper. That's because an element of goalkeeping involves using muscle memory to anticipate the likely trajectory of a shot. If a player uses his right foot and is in a certain situation, the goalkeeper's mind is already subconsciously cycling through 1,000 memories of this almost exact situation. He will then anticipate the likely trajectory of the shot and make his move - often in advance - as close to the moment the player makes contact with the ball as possible. Pickford probably had the Cavani shot covered - but the Uruguayan got lucky with the deflection. Or if you are really critical, you could argue that our defender got caught between making a clean block and just getting out of the bloody way. Worst of both worlds for the keeper and a prime example of those moments when it would be better for him if the defender was slightly late with his contact.
I swear there was a comic book native american goalkeeper who would make saves by watching the muscles of the forward player and anticipating where the ball went, but I can't remember what it was called so maybe just dreamt it all. This would have been in the 60's.

Status
Not open for further replies.