Match Thread Man Utd v Everton. Saturday Oct 2nd.12.30 pm

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Virginia is still an Everton player, but out on season long loan to get experience he wasn't getting at Everton. King wasn't given many opportunities last season and was probably made up to get a move away. Rondon maybe hasn't set the world on fire so far but he is doing the job RB wants him to until we get DCL and Richie back, the fact that he's staying on the pitch for 90 minutes shows that.
I think we should be using Virginia to fill in for Jordan and that we had no need for Begovic. King is more complicated, apparently, but
I'd rather have him fill in for DCL than Rondon if that could have been arranged.

The Cavani chance, deary me, he nearly messed that up. He should have got his body behind it and smothered it. He saved it yes but almost turned it in. It wasn't like he was at full stretch. His footwork is poor.

I have watched the highlights a few times now. IMO Pickford could have stopped their goal, should have stayed standing up. But decisions are made and you live by them like Tom facing De Gea.
De Gea could of saved ours then, i presume you have handed Townsend no credit because it should of been saved?

I was very happy when we equalised and was hoping we'd hang on for a point, but the gloss went off it a bit after the late
goal was scrubbed. But yes, it was a decent result.
Like many I was indifferent to the Benitez appointment but given our plight accepted that we had no alternative but to hang on tightly and go along with the ride. I think the results speak for themselves and all I can say is long may it continue.

I think we should be using Virginia to fill in for Jordan and that we had no need for Begovic. King is more complicated, apparently, but
I'd rather have him fill in for DCL than Rondon if that could have been arranged.

King was only signed on a short term contract seemingly by Brands given that Carlo never used him. He's with Watford now or someone like that

As a former amateur keeper at Mickey Mouse level, all I can say is that any deflection is often fatal for a goalkeeper. That's because an element of goalkeeping involves using muscle memory to anticipate the likely trajectory of a shot. If a player uses his right foot and is in a certain situation, the goalkeeper's mind is already subconsciously cycling through 1,000 memories of this almost exact situation. He will then anticipate the likely trajectory of the shot and make his move - often in advance - as close to the moment the player makes contact with the ball as possible. Pickford probably had the Cavani shot covered - but the Uruguayan got lucky with the deflection. Or if you are really critical, you could argue that our defender got caught between making a clean block and just getting out of the bloody way. Worst of both worlds for the keeper and a prime example of those moments when it would be better for him if the defender was slightly late with his contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.