Luke Garbutt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think he's comfortably earning more than 20k a week tbh. Martinez thought he was the reincarnation of Baines. Once he signed the deal, he turned out to be the English Allesandro Pistone instead.
The worst thing is, Martinez didn't even rate him. He only played 5 league games under him in 3 seasons, but then for some reason we gave him a massive new contract. It was genuinely mind boggling.

If the DCL one isn't true he should get himself a better agent. He's a genuine first team player for a PL club which is paying £100k a week to people who can't even get on the bench, if he's not earning at least £30k i'd be amazed.
I may have been wrong here mate. I thought his last contract was May 17 before he went to the U20 WC, but I've just seen it was renewed again just 6 months later at the same time that Kenny and Holgate signed new deals. That second one probably would have been for around £30/40k pw I imagine.

The worst thing is, Martinez didn't even rate him. He only played 5 league games under him in 3 seasons, but then for some reason we gave him a massive new contract. It was genuinely mind boggling.
At the time we had Baines and Oviedo as first choice. But due to injuries Garbutt had played a number of games in Martinez second season, and had particularly impressed in some of our European games that season. His performances for us had forced his way back onto the International scene and he became first choice left back at the U21 tournament that summer. As was normal for Everton, we had let his contract run down and he could have gone for free that summer. There was a lot of interest in him, so we had to offer him a decent salary and agree to him going in loan the following season as he wanted game time.

The loan at Fulham was a disaster. He got injured in the first few weeks and then they got into a relegation battle and rarely played him as so often happens. He never got back on track after that. Ironically had he stayed he would have gotten game time early season as both Baines and Oviedo were injured.

What happened with Garbutt can happen to any of our youngsters and that is the danger when giving them contracts. In hindsight, the biggest mistake the club made here was letting his contract run down, as he then held all the cards when it came to the negotiating table.

At the time we had Baines and Oviedo as first choice. But due to injuries Garbutt had played a number of games in Martinez second season, and had particularly impressed in some of our European games that season. His performances for us had forced his way back onto the International scene and he became first choice left back at the U21 tournament that summer. As was normal for Everton, we had let his contract run down and he could have gone for free that summer. There was a lot of interest in him, so we had to offer him a decent salary and agree to him going in loan the following season as he wanted game time.

The loan at Fulham was a disaster. He got injured in the first few weeks and then they got into a relegation battle and rarely played him as so often happens. He never got back on track after that. Ironically had he stayed he would have gotten game time early season as both Baines and Oviedo were injured.

What happened with Garbutt can happen to any of our youngsters and that is the danger when giving them contracts. In hindsight, the biggest mistake the club made here was letting his contract run down, as he then held all the cards when it came to the negotiating table.
For me personally - and I appreciate that others saw it differently - Garbutt has never looked likely to be a top class player. He was behind Jake Bidwell as a youngster, both in terms of getting a first team run out with us, and on the basis that he was consistently loaned out to a team at a lower level than Bidwell.

The season you're talking about he did okay in a few Europa League games, but he only played a part in 4 PL games and was just about to turn 22 - an age by which you would really expect a quality player to have gone some way to establishing themselves. The fact that we then decided to loan him out for a full season, meaning he wouldn't be playing for us until he was at least 23, makes the new contract bizarre in my opinion. I know there were rumours of interest from other PL clubs, but the fact he was willing to re-sign with us despite clearly being way down the pecking order, and that his loan was to the championship rather than to one of the PL clubs who supposedly coveted him, suggest that the interest may not have been quite as strong as reports suggested.

It feels like we'd let his contract run down because we didn't rate him but then panicked that he might actually be better than we'd thought and caved, only to immediately realise that we'd been right in the first place and he wasn't very good.

For me personally - and I appreciate that others saw it differently - Garbutt has never looked likely to be a top class player. He was behind Jake Bidwell as a youngster, both in terms of getting a first team run out with us, and on the basis that he was consistently loaned out to a team at a lower level than Bidwell.

The season you're talking about he did okay in a few Europa League games, but he only played a part in 4 PL games and was just about to turn 22 - an age by which you would really expect a quality player to have gone some way to establishing themselves. The fact that we then decided to loan him out for a full season, meaning he wouldn't be playing for us until he was at least 23, makes the new contract bizarre in my opinion. I know there were rumours of interest from other PL clubs, but the fact he was willing to re-sign with us despite clearly being way down the pecking order, and that his loan was to the championship rather than to one of the PL clubs who supposedly coveted him, suggest that the interest may not have been quite as strong as reports suggested.

It feels like we'd let his contract run down because we didn't rate him but then panicked that he might actually be better than we'd thought and caved, only to immediately realise that we'd been right in the first place and he wasn't very good.
I thought it was strange when we brought Garbutt in at 16 given we already had highly rated Bidwell in the same position. Spent good money on him too at the time. But I don't necessarily agree with you when you say Garbutt was behind Bidwell as a youngster. He certainly wasn't at International level where Garbutt generally got the nod, plus the fact that we sold Bidwell when he was 20 would strongly suggest that the club also considered Garbutt the better of the two.

As regards the contract who knows?. As a club we haven't exactly covered ourselves with glory on contract negotiations in the past so let's hope that changes now we have Marcel at the helm.

They all have a clean sheet under the new management structure.Silva/Brands might make a player of him.Stranger things have happened.

DCL is on 40k as is Henry
Where have you seen this?. I'm not saying he isn't but the only reference I can see is an article in the Star and that was referencing his May 2017 deal. He's signed a new one since thenlol.

I've not seen one reference from a believable source that mentions his salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.