Lewis Dobbin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ok so name me these 50 players, aged 20 and younger, playing in poor teams, under poor managers who have 6 or 7 MOTMs this season then.
In fairness Catcher, MOTM awards in our struggling team is no way to judge a player against his peers elsewhere.

Having said that I am delighted with the improvement he's shown this season and he and Gray have been the only beacons in a very gloomy season. We know from his time with the youth set up that he has more in his locker and hopefully Frank is the man to bring this out of him.

But I think it's best to allow him to continue developing at his own pace rather than put pressure on him with such plaudits. There are many fine young players around Europe at the moment,

In the sense that you originally said one of the best young players in Europe and are now saying as long as we only look at people who are younger than him and are playing in poor teams under poor managers.

Objectively he just hasn’t been one of the best young players in Europe, or even close to it. He’s done really well recently but he only had his first involvement in a goal about 6 weeks ago, he got to mid December with no goals and no assists.

I’m not trying to knock the lad, he’s improving and doing well but let’s not build him into something he’s not.

But the 2nd post was in direct response to the response made to me mate. The poster suggested Gordon was nowhere near the top 50 young players, which is fair enough, we are all entitled to our opinions, but if that's the case then it should be easy to name them.

For clarity, and I should have perhaps been clearer, Gordon has been in the top 10 performers, for players of his age and below across the top 3/4 leagues this season.

His defensive numbers are outstanding, and he is contributing more the other way too.

But the 2nd post was in direct response to the response made to me mate. The poster suggested Gordon was nowhere near the top 50 young players, which is fair enough, we are all entitled to our opinions, but if that's the case then it should be easy to name them.

For clarity, and I should have perhaps been clearer, Gordon has been in the top 10 performers, for players of his age and below across the top 3/4 leagues this season.

His defensive numbers are outstanding, and he is contributing more the other way too.
I asked for you to be more specific because you said a broad sweeping statement of Gordon being one of the best young players in Europe in response to someone saying lets not unfairly raise expectations on youngsters lol. To me that means simply one of the best young U21 or U23 players in europe. Which he is still not in the top 50.

You then clarified that your parameters are the young players need to be younger than AG, playing in a bottom 5 team in a top 3/4 league, with a bad manager, and have 6 or 7 MOTMs. Even without that MOTM clause (which AG definitely does not meet) it leaves a pool of about 10 teams to provide examples from. Given them specific parameters it's clear why you think AG has been one of the best in europe this season and made it pointless. I'm all for praising young players but you made a statement putting a kid in the same bracket as a Haaland, Pedri or Bellingham and then scaled it so far back that he simply had to make a top 10 because there's only about 10 players to fit the criteria.

Also more than happy to list my 50 once you name the 6 or 7 games AG has been the official man of the match. Because I went back and looked, the actual figure is zero.

I asked for you to be more specific because you said a broad sweeping statement of Gordon being one of the best young players in Europe in response to someone saying lets not unfairly raise expectations on youngsters lol. To me that means simply one of the best young U21 or U23 players in europe. Which he is still not in the top 50.

You then clarified that your parameters are the young players need to be younger than AG, playing in a bottom 5 team in a top 3/4 league, with a bad manager, and have 6 or 7 MOTMs. Even without that MOTM clause (which AG definitely does not meet) it leaves a pool of about 10 teams to provide examples from. Given them specific parameters it's clear why you think AG has been one of the best in europe this season and made it pointless. I'm all for praising young players but you made a statement putting a kid in the same bracket as a Haaland, Pedri or Bellingham and then scaled it so far back that he simply had to make a top 10 because there's only about 10 players to fit the criteria.

Also more than happy to list my 50 once you name the 6 or 7 games AG has been the official man of the match. Because I went back and looked, the actual figure is zero.
I think we can all agree he should have had a couple? Chelsea and Brighton were clear ones for me.
I reckon Dobbin will get a lot more minutes later on in the season but Frank may hold him back for a few games

Where have I asked for players a year younger than Gordon. He is 20, so after players 20 and under.

The MOTM stuff is somewhat subjective, and perhaps better stated as his teams best player. For me that would be Gordon is the following games:
Brighton Home
Aston Villa Home
QPR away (admittedly cup)
Watford Home
Chelsea away

I'm sure there may be others, but happy to reduce the criteria to 4.

I'll await your example of 50+ players, who are 20 and under who have performed better tha Gordon in the equivalent context. Just as a quick point of order, Haaland is older than Gordon so doesn't qualify.

The reality is, for a lad of his age, Gordon is doing very well, and there are not 50+players of the same age and younger outdoing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.