Leon Osman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me I need to do the back garden if we get a good day during the week.

Been on SSN today.

Spoke really well I thought. Really good comments on Rom, that basically reflect my own views that he's better off developing his game with us before moving to one of the elite clubs. I particularly enjoyed his dig at Martinez regarding Tim Howard. If you didn't catch it he basically said that RM ruined Howard's confidence by forcing him out of his comfort zone playing out from the back.

I don't really get the hate towards him on here, in particular that relating to his new role as a TV pundit. Given the amount of RS we have to deal with, I would have thought people would be happy to get another blue perspective on things.

Been on SSN today.

Spoke really well I thought. Really good comments on Rom, that basically reflect my own views that he's better off developing his game with us before moving to one of the elite clubs. I particularly enjoyed his dig at Martinez regarding Tim Howard. If you didn't catch it he basically said that RM ruined Howard's confidence by forcing him out of his comfort zone playing out from the back.

I don't really get the hate towards him on here, in particular that relating to his new role as a TV pundit. Given the amount of RS we have to deal with, I would have thought people would be happy to get another blue perspective on things.
Absolutely.

His performance against Chelsea in the FA Cup final should have been his last for the club.

I blame Moyes for that and wanted him out as soon as that game finished! He knew Cole and Malouda were very fast and liked to bomb forward and 'cheat' positionally so playing Osman in front of Hibbert was criminal, as it meant Chelsea knew they would have nothing to defend that side. Then to make matters worse he swapped Hibbert for Jacbosen at half time. Hibbert wasn't the problem, Osman in front of him was! Then when he swapped Osman for the equally slow Gosling it just showed he didn't have a clue what he was doing!

Counter that with Raneri when he was Chelsea manager and playing against Cole at Arsenal. At half time he recognised Arsenal has dominated down the left hand side with Cole and Pires, so he put Gronjkaer on and pushed him right up against Cole, so Cole knew he couldn't bomb on cos if they lost it Gronjkaer was going to exploit the space and Cole wouldn't be able to catch him. We weren't blessed with loads of pace but Vaughan could have done this role, or even Rodwell would have been a better option than Osman or Gosling.

I blame Moyes for that and wanted him out as soon as that game finished! He knew Cole and Malouda were very fast and liked to bomb forward and 'cheat' positionally so playing Osman in front of Hibbert was criminal, as it meant Chelsea knew they would have nothing to defend that side. Then to make matters worse he swapped Hibbert for Jacbosen at half time. Hibbert wasn't the problem, Osman in front of him was! Then when he swapped Osman for the equally slow Gosling it just showed he didn't have a clue what he was doing!

Counter that with Raneri when he was Chelsea manager and playing against Cole at Arsenal. At half time he recognised Arsenal has dominated down the left hand side with Cole and Pires, so he put Gronjkaer on and pushed him right up against Cole, so Cole knew he couldn't bomb on cos if they lost it Gronjkaer was going to exploit the space and Cole wouldn't be able to catch him. We weren't blessed with loads of pace but Vaughan could have done this role, or even Rodwell would have been a better option than Osman or Gosling.

Whilst I think you've nailed the problem there, I don't think we had the players available to do anything different, given Anichebe and Arteta were both out. Look back at how thin our squad was back then and it's a miracle we were doing as well as we did

I particularly enjoyed his dig at Martinez regarding Tim Howard. If you didn't catch it he basically said that RM ruined Howard's confidence by forcing him out of his comfort zone playing out from the back.

But that was not the thing causing his errors. Unless playing out from the back involves star jumping over a ball, punching thin or or diving out the way of any shots on goal.

Whilst I think you've nailed the problem there, I don't think we had the players available to do anything different, given Anichebe and Arteta were both out. Look back at how thin our squad was back then and it's a miracle we were doing as well as we did

He could have used Vaughan as a wide forward on the right. Vaughan at that stage was very quick and aggressive, he'd have given Cole something to think about. Or a more conservative approach would have been Rodwell, who was more defensively minded than Osman or Gosling, but also a quick athlete who would at least not get left for dead like Osman was. Neither Osman nor Gosling offered anything at all, he could have played no one on the right and it wouldn't have changed how the game went!

But that was not the thing causing his errors. Unless playing out from the back involves star jumping over a ball, punching thin or or diving out the way of any shots on goal.
My post over simplified what he said mate. The point he made was that Howard was very confident in his handling, but much less confident with his footwork. RM was instructing Howard to use his feet more and to play the ball out from the back rather than kick it long, which according to Osman, put him well outside his comfort zone. This led to an issue with confidence which ultimately spread to his all round game, including his handling which previously had been fine.

I think Howard was a good goalkeeper for us for most of his spell at Everton. His demise coincided with Martinez becoming manager and by the end he was a complete liability. This fit's with what Osman said this morning and I'm inclined to believe his take on it.

My post over simplified what he said mate. The point he made was that Howard was very confident in his handling, but much less confident with his footwork. RM was instructing Howard to use his feet more and to play the ball out from the back rather than kick it long, which according to Osman, put him well outside his comfort zone. This led to an issue with confidence which ultimately spread to his all round game, including his handling which previously had been fine.

I think Howard was a good goalkeeper for us for most of his spell at Everton. His demise coincided with Martinez becoming manager and by the end he was a complete liability. This fit's with what Osman said this morning and I'm inclined to believe his take on it.
To be fair here, if his ability to catch or make saves as a goalkeeper was affected because he was told to play the ball afterward then that is a silly reasoning behind it all. I would Understand Lukaku's form dropping if he was asked to play at left back for example but Howard was still doing the same job as before, just being asked to distribute the ball differently. Plus it didn't affect him at all in the first season with martinez so even less weight to that argument.

He could have used Vaughan as a wide forward on the right. Vaughan at that stage was very quick and aggressive, he'd have given Cole something to think about. Or a more conservative approach would have been Rodwell, who was more defensively minded than Osman or Gosling, but also a quick athlete who would at least not get left for dead like Osman was. Neither Osman nor Gosling offered anything at all, he could have played no one on the right and it wouldn't have changed how the game went!

We were decimated for that game, missing Jags, Arteta, Yak, Anichebe and even the likes of Valente and Van der Meyde. If they'd have all been fit it's likely Neville would have started full back with Arteta in the middle and Yak and Anichebe would have given us much more up top. I think Moyes had to hold Vaughan back as there was no way Saha would play the full 90. It's a shame that our best chance for silverwear in the last 20 years was ruined by several long term injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.