Leighton Baines new Coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Danny, I'm surprised...people change their minds, though. If he's as committed to his new role as he was his old one (and I have no reason to doubt that he will be), then it'll be a good thing for everyone involved.

It sure as hell makes a lot more sense than 'kin Jeffers...
Good appointment excellent modern professional. Hopefully that can be now passed on in his coaching. Always painful when other blues like Bracewell is down at Spurs and we have the likes of Jeffers.

If his new role is 'pro coach' then ive no issue with that.

Even if hes working solely with the left backs such as Digne (who has spoken highly of him) Nkounkou (it was mentioned that he wanted to learn from Digne/Baines) and Thierry Small (u18 high potential) then thats worth the salary alone.

Totally mystified how Francis 'Franny' Jeffers is in a position of authority. A little vomit inducing actually.

The one im somewhat peeved about in the announcement is Unsworth. Unless Brands has seen that hes got alot more to him on the Director side working with the youth managers/coaches/scouts than he has on the pitch then that makes sense.

Probably a daft suggestion but in the days of insane money for wages and transfer fees of players why not bump the staff budget at youth level?

How about we approach some of the top coaches and Youth directors at the best youth development clubs?

No clue how much these people make but for the cost of a £50k a week 1st team player we could have £2.6mil annual salary for some top notch youth guys.

He's the newer version of Colin Harvey - quiet, unassuming but knows his togger and will help develop the younger players. Time will tell but I think it's a good appointment - the 'kids' will look up to him like a big brother

He's there now to poison the next generation through the doors and advise them on how to undermine managers.

Ferguson
Unsworth
Ebbrell
Jeffers
Baines

25 years without a trophy. Rinse and repeat.

He played Niasse ahead of Simms a lot for one season mate,the sole purpose of being a youth Manager is to develop youth

Depends. He may well have been told to give Niasse minutes so a few goals in the U23 might grab the attention of a desperate manager looking for a fix. Or it may have been an attempt to humiliate a senior pro by playing him with the kids and encourage him to take an offer.

Won as many big trophies in his playing career as Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger did in theirs combined.

But apparently the fact he didn't win the league with Everton means he can't teach young footballers about what's required to play top flight football after hundreds of top flight appearances.

Wish I was a top bloo like some of you lads. You must just care more.

Won as many big trophies in his playing career as Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger did in theirs combined.

But apparently the fact he didn't win the league with Everton means he can't teach young footballers about what's required to play top flight football after hundreds of top flight appearances.

Wish I was a top bloo like some of you lads. You must just care more.
I had to read that twice. It looked for a second like you were comparing a cone laying baby sitter with three world class managers.

I had to read that twice. It looked for a second like you were comparing a cone laying baby sitter with three world class managers.

Merely stating that what someone has or hasn't accomplished in their playing career rarely equates to their ability in their coaching career Dave by comparing and contrasting the playing careers of, as you say, three world class managers to that of Leighton Baines.

I'm refuting the argument that having won nothing as a player means Baines can have no value as a coach. Yet the three world class managers won absolutely nothing, bar a low level regional French trophy, during their playing careers and went on to have astonishing success in their post playing careers.

If only they'd won stuff like Paul Ince, Paul Merson, Gary Neville or Tony Adams eh?

Merely stating that what someone has or hasn't accomplished in their playing career rarely equates to their ability in their coaching career Dave by comparing and contrasting the playing careers of, as you say, three world class managers to that of Leighton Baines.

I'm refuting the argument that having won nothing as a player means Baines can have no value as a coach. Yet the three world class managers won absolutely nothing, bar a low level regional French trophy, during their playing careers and went on to have astonishing success in their post playing careers.

If only they'd won stuff like Paul Ince, Paul Merson, Gary Neville or Tony Adams eh?
What makes you think he can be the only one out of all those recent ex-players employed by the club to be able to become a good coach?

That feller tanked games for Everton, and he's working with kids to improve their professionalism. He was also about the worst imaginable defender for a FB to emulate: he consistently turned his back on crosses from wingers.

How is he an appropriate figure to have developing our younger players?

What makes you think he can be the only one out of all those recent ex-players employed by the club to be able to become a good coach?

That feller tanked games for Everton, and he's working with kids to improve their professionalism. He was also about the worst imaginable defender for a FB to emulate: he consistently turned his back on crosses from wingers.

How is he an appropriate figure to have developing our younger players?

Dunno - I don't necessarily think that he will or won't given I've got absolutely no idea. I don't know the guy, don't train with him, never go to Finch Farm and have no idea what's going on there. In fact I don't even know who the good or bad coaches are out of the list you put up earlier...again, same reasons.

I've never even spent a day training at a professional football club Dave. It'd be ludricous for me to think that I know anything about who is or isn't worth having as a coach.

But I do know that it's a fact that some very unremarkable players have gone on to have some very remarkable coaching careers.

So given that personal dislike and an abhorrence for former Everton players of a certain era could be seen as an irrational viewpoint what makes you think you know who the good and bad coaches are at Everton?

I ask because you seem to have some strong opinions on Ancelotti's various options for cone laying.

Depends. He may well have been told to give Niasse minutes so a few goals in the U23 might grab the attention of a desperate manager looking for a fix. Or it may have been an attempt to humiliate a senior pro by playing him with the kids and encourage him to take an offer.
Exactly, there is no reserve league any more, so clubs have to do that sort of thing. The bile that has been launched at Unsworth for winning the U23 league is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.