Left Midfield

You decide

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that lead to us scoring more goals though? That's the part that matters and what I'm not so sure of.
I'd say that keeping the ball better will improve your chances of scoring while reducing the opposition's, yeah.

Still, it doesn't look as though Ancelotti thinks too highly of Bernard, so this could all be moot come the summer.

If he's not a proper winger or proper number 10 what the hell is he? Lol

Like Sterling or Mane if you'd have an example. Stick them in a front 3 that interchange.

There's a current trend of players like that where they're not traditional midfielders or strikers.

I'd say that keeping the ball better will improve your chances of scoring while reducing the opposition's, yeah.

Still, it doesn't look as though Ancelotti thinks too highly of Bernard, so this could all be moot come the summer.
Keeping the ball has to progress to chances and preferably high quality chances. This is where Bernard struggles.

It isn't moot because if Carlo wants better options he should at least play all his options first to see what they can do. Giving Gylfi and Bernard all the time is a waste.

Keeping the ball has to progress to chances and preferably high quality chances. This is where Bernard struggles.

It isn't moot because if Carlo wants better options he should at least play all his options first to see what they can do. Giving Gylfi and Bernard all the time is a waste.
I think he knows by now who is and isn't up to snuff.

Iwobi is currently on the outs because of how cheaply he was giving the ball away at Arsenal. I would imagine that such careless play is anathema to a manager such as Ancelotti, and he clearly doesn't trust him to do a professional job.

My interpretation is that he is fully aware of how poor this crop is, hence the back-to-basics formation and reliance on senior pros, like Sigurdsson, who he feels will at least be able to follow instructions and offer what he deems to be the bare minimum in terms of tactical discipline and decision-making.

Bernard is probably now in the same boat as Iwobi after Sunday, so you've got that to be pleased about.

I think he knows by now who is and isn't up to snuff.

Iwobi is currently on the outs because of how cheaply he was giving the ball away at Arsenal. I would imagine that such careless play is anathema to a manager such as Ancelotti, and he clearly doesn't trust him to do a professional job.

My interpretation is that he is fully aware of how poor this crop is, hence the back-to-basics formation and reliance on senior pros, like Sigurdsson, who he feels will at least be able to follow instructions and offer what he deems to be the bare minimum in terms of tactical discipline and decision-making.

Bernard is probably now in the same boat as Iwobi after Sunday, so you've got that to be pleased about.
This didn't happen.

Can we not go 3-5-2 with wingbacks? Digne or Baines on the left and Coleman on the right. Gives us the extra man which we really really need in centre mid too

If it is 4-4-2 I'd say bernard
Baines - Coleman. RB and LB. Come on lads! Stopped watching Dad's Army ages ago. Hope I'll stop watching these two asap ae well. Good players in their time but come on lads! Let's move with the times.

Bernard was playing regular champions League and almost signed for Chelsea with Arsenal and the RS interested in him. To say he's mediocre is a little unjustified IMO.

As for Pienaar...again, we finished 5th and 6th and that wasn't his fault we'd never kicked on, more down to finances and a striker.

And yeah, I do think if we had more players of his technical level we'd be top 4 rather than having a squad full of limited footballers like Walcott, Iwobi, Schniderlin, Siggurdson
If’s, Buts and maybes

Ive never said Bernard was mediocre, he’s technically very good, just end product isn’t great and I’m not sure he’s suited to the league.

This was about Ancelotti and his 442 moving forward. We need more goals from the rest of the team. In a 442 it’s unlikely one of your two midfielders is getting double fugues. So it falls to the wide players. And Bernard, Walcott And iwobi dont score enough goals.

So buying a wide player that is a goal threat is massive This summer. And im not sure where that leaves Bernard or iwobi long term, I can’t see us getting rid of iwobi after one season and witt Bernard 28 in September, like I said before, it wouldn’t surprise if he was sacrificed.

Looking at Ancelotti’s Napoli team, he would play Fabián Ruiz or Zelinskiki wide a lot of the time in his 442. Both are central midfielders really. So buying a very attack minded right side attacker in the summer. Was the reasoning imo why I can’t see Bernard having a future. As it may not fit the balance of the team that Ancelotti wants.

If’s, Buts and maybes

Ive never said Bernard was mediocre, he’s technically very good, just end product isn’t great and I’m not sure he’s suited to the league.

This was about Ancelotti and his 442 moving forward. We need more goals from the rest of the team. In a 442 it’s unlikely one of your two midfielders is getting double fugues. So it falls to the wide players. And Bernard, Walcott And iwobi dont score enough goals.

So buying a wide player that is a goal threat is massive This summer. And im not sure where that leaves Bernard or iwobi long term, I can’t see us getting rid of iwobi after one season and witt Bernard 28 in September, like I said before, it wouldn’t surprise if he was sacrificed.

Looking at Ancelotti’s Napoli team, he would play Fabián Ruiz or Zelinskiki wide a lot of the time in his 442. Both are central midfielders really. So buying a very attack minded right side attacker in the summer. Was the reasoning imo why I can’t see Bernard having a future. As it may not fit the balance of the team that Ancelotti wants.

Which is a fair assessment.

Initially you said he wasn't good enough.

Bernard was playing regular champions League and almost signed for Chelsea with Arsenal and the RS interested in him. To say he's mediocre is a little unjustified IMO.

As for Pienaar...again, we finished 5th and 6th and that wasn't his fault we'd never kicked on, more down to finances and a striker.

And yeah, I do think if we had more players of his technical level we'd be top 4 rather than having a squad full of limited footballers like Walcott, Iwobi, Schniderlin, Siggurdson
Playing regular CL for a team that is one of two good sides in a poor league that doesn't really compete beyond maybe going out in the first knockout is beyond meaningless. Maybe Dodo can solve our right back troubles if that's the logic we are employing.

We've seen what Bernard is here and in the PL he's a 1 in 4 or 5 attacker. That is mediocre. No amount of skill makes up for not producing anything.

If he's not a proper winger or proper number 10 what the hell is he? Lol

Not disciplined enough to be in a proper position basically.

Sick of these comments "he's not a centre mid, he's not a winger, he's not a number 10". It's been applied to Gylfi, Iwobi and lesser so for Bernard. Going back it was said for Bily. When deep down we just don't want to admit that they aren't good enough for any position.

Richarlison has played, right wing, left wing, lone striker and now in a 2. He has been effective in each of those. Simply because he can retain the ball, is strong, athletic and clever.

Not disciplined enough to be in a proper position basically.

Sick of these comments "he's not a centre mid, he's not a winger, he's not a number 10". It's been applied to Gylfi, Iwobi and lesser so for Bernard. Going back it was said for Bily. When deep down we just don't want to admit that they aren't good enough for any position.

Richarlison has played, right wing, left wing, lone striker and now in a 2. He has been effective in each of those.
Iwobi is a lower league footballer for me, out his depth in the prem, may get the odd goal every 10 games if he's lucky

Well, I look forward to seeing the Iwobi that you see next time he gets on the pitch.
I don't think he played well, but he objectively didn't give the ball away a lot. It's not an opinion based thing.

It's like when people used to occasionally say Gana didn't do as much defensively as everyone thought. He objectively put in more tackles than anyone else. There's no real dispute.

Status
Not open for further replies.