Match Thread Leeds United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cottee scores Everton FC’s first goal in their 3-1 victory against Leeds United FC in the Zenith Data Systems Cup Area Final, Northern Section, second leg played at Goodison Park on the 21st March 1991.

Do you remember what year it was where a full on scrap between the players took place and the ref had to call off the game for 15 minutes? Someone went through an Everton player and Johnny Morrisey i think it was flattened someone.

It was '64 - Sandy Brown sent off. Carried on after that though. Bremner had a bee in his bonnet about Bally - he and Johnny Giles fished it out & Bally generally responded. Sometime in very late '60s, Charlton was quoted on the press as saying he had a little black of players he wanted to 'do'.

In the next match, Morrissey flattened the giraffe, turned round and said, "Put that in your effin book".

As said in the villa game thread called off a few weeks ago, an away win tomorrow as i have a sneaking feeling we may do [maybe wishful thinking - suppose we will see]. and it will be 1st time since 85/86 that we have won 4 away games in a row ;) if we dont lose it will be the longest AWAY LEAGUE RUN without a defeat since 2016 lol

It was '64 - Sandy Brown sent off. Carried on after that though. Bremner had a bee in his bonnet about Bally - he and Johnny Giles fished it out & Bally generally responded. Sometime in very late '60s, Charlton was quoted on the press as saying he had a little black of players he wanted to 'do'.

In the next match, Morrissey flattened the giraffe, turned round and said, "Put that in your effin book".
Couldn't be 64 as Bally only signed after 66 World Cup

Based on the Newcastle game there have to be changes.

Pickford, Digne, Coleman, Sigurdsson, Iwobi out please.

Olsen
Holgate Keane Mina Godfrey
Doucouré Davies Gomes
James DCL Richarlison
I've hesitantly put Davies in there as it would send a message to Sigurdsson that he's not even up to Tom's level. That's three central midfielders and I'd tell Davies to sit in front of the defence, Gomes to make himself available to take the ball and get it forward, and Doucouré to float and get forward.

For me, the back five picks itself, as does the front three given the lack of competition.

I was there, it all started when their LB (can't recall his name now) went through Derek Temple leaving him riving on the ground, it was really dirty. That started the ruckus, in those times you hired a cushion to sit on in the stand they all or most of them ended up on the pitch. The ref took them all off, no action was taken against the LB by the ref.

Based on the Newcastle game there have to be changes.

Pickford, Digne, Coleman, Sigurdsson, Iwobi out please.

Olsen
Holgate Keane Mina Godfrey
Doucouré Davies Gomes
James DCL Richarlison
I've hesitantly put Davies in there as it would send a message to Sigurdsson that he's not even up to Tom's level. That's three central midfielders and I'd tell Davies to sit in front of the defence, Gomes to make himself available to take the ball and get it forward, and Doucouré to float and get forward.

For me, the back five picks itself, as does the front three given the lack of competition.
I think you are right about most of this. The Wall returns , and if it does then inevitably Davies plays to offer a pass out from the back four. Doucoure has to play as he is our best midfielder and the front three self selects so that leaves 1 midfield place up for grabs with Gomes, Digne, Siggy, Delph and Iwobi hopeful of the start. I don't think Delph gets to start but no doubt he will make a 2nd half appearance for minutes on his return from (another) injury. I think Iwobi and Digne are effectively played as wingers and with the front three, I'm not sure they will see enough of the ball to warrant selection. So its Gomes or Siggy. I personally think Siggy could do a job here if he was played a little farther forward behind DCL and told to press the crap out of Phillips. That shuts a lot of Leeds movement down from Phillips passing, but does mean that Davies and Doucoure have to play deeper as a two and may get overrun. The full backs will have to take on additional duties to cover those two wider as we may get ravaged out wide. The alternative is to play Gomes which solidifies a MF 3 but leaves us going toe to toe with their midfield farther up the pitch with the wall a long way back and a big potential gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.