Landon Donovan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know how excited you all are because of Don's performance against arsenal.

But this is the first time we have seen a right winger in our side for ages like we all do and that's why we are soooo excited and in reality he's better off as a striker than a winger.

We won't sign him ofcourse but his performance just shows how crucial a right winger is for us and this summer if we get one, we would be a complete side.

I know how excited you all are because of Don's performance against arsenal.

But this is the first time we have seen a right winger in our side for ages like we all do and that's why we are soooo excited and in reality he's better off as a striker than a winger.

We won't sign him ofcourse but his performance just shows how crucial a right winger is for us and this summer if we get one, we would be a complete side.

I think I am over with the excitment now, hopfully Moyes now see the importance of having a pacy RM, if we could cause Arsenal problem then most team would have trouble with us.

Again this summer we need to find someone like Donovan or someone even better and we need to get all our key player on a longer contract, if they are out-of-contract within 18 months.

When everyone is back from injuries and up to mid-March this would probably be our best line-up:-

------------------------- Howard --------------------

--- Neill/Coleman --- Jagielka --- Heitinga --- Baines ---

- Donovan/Arteta - Arteta/Osman - Fellaini - Pienaar ---

---------------------- Cahill/Donovan ----------------

---------------------- Saha/Yakubu -----------------

We then have Neville, Yobo, Distin, Hibbert & Duffy as defence back-up, Rodwell, Billy, Gosling & Neville as midfield back-up and we did have Vaughan, Anichebe, Agard & Jo as striker back-up.

We certainly look pretty decent when everyone is fit, shame it going to be at least another 3~4 weeks before we have any chance of seeing this line-up happening.

Last edited:
I think I am over with the excitment now, hopfully Moyes now see the importance of having a pacy RM, if we could cause Arsenal problem then most team would have trouble with us.

Again this summer we need to find someone like Donovan or someone even better and we need to get all our key player on a longer contract, if they are out-of-contract within 18 months.

When everyone is back from injuries and up to mid-March this would probably be our best line-up:-

------------------------- Howard --------------------

--- Neill/Coleman --- Jagielka --- Heitinga --- Baines ---

- Donovan/Billy - Arteta/Rodwell - Fellaini - Pienaar ---

---------------------- Cahill/Donovan ----------------

---------------------- Saha/Yakubu -----------------

We then have Neville, Yobo, Distin, Hibbert & Duffy as defence back-up, Osman, Billy, Gosling & Neville as midfield back-up and we did have Vaughan, Anichebe, Agard & Jo as striker back-up.

We certainly look pretty decent when everyone is fit, shame it going to be at least another 3~4 weeks before we have any chance of seeing this line-up happening.

I'd go with that except that I think that Arteta would be wasted at RM and Rodwell is better than Osman.

We sell to buy, right? It's not nice to admit, but it's what we do, isn't it?

If all goes well with Donovan, and DM wants him, don't you think that someone will be sold and the money will be spent on new players?

I think - and I admit to not reading all the posts on him - that it's not just the extra media coverage too. I think EFC would sell more shirts in the USA and have a higher profile. (Be interesting if you charted how many new American posters come here as a result of his signing, for instance - assuming that information is not classified.)

Man Utd is big in Asia, right? If we sign the USA's best player, and arrange preseason friendlies every year/every other year in the USA...More crowds, more media coverage, more money...

I didn't major in business in college, but isn't this the way things go? If you look at it that way, and he produces on the field, the question might be, how can Everton afford NOT to sign Donovan?

as you can guess I am from the USA and I too am wondering what kind of impact he will have on sales. I bought a Two shirts since his number was announced and I will buy more for my two nephews who Follow Football (soccer).
I still remember when Everton came to Columbus to play a friendly, I Really enjoy those games I saw some players hang out at the bar after the game. I think you have to look at Mcbride and his impact on Fulham, I think that when he went there they had all this press shirt sales and all of a sudden you saw a lot of American players on that team.

I'd go with that except that I think that Arteta would be wasted at RM and Rodwell is better than Osman.

Well, I think Fellaini could share his position with Rodwell, and yes it would be a waste to play Arteta on the right but I had him there only if Moyes choice to play Donovan behind the striker.

So, my first choice is to have Arteta in the middle, but if Moyes choice to have Donovan playing behind Saha, then Osman could take up the middle and Arteta out on the right.

Coz you know what Osman is like on the right, is better off we play him in the middle and as we know Arteta is still effective enough on the right, if we do have someone beside Donovan who could play on the right, then we could still play Arteta in the middle, even if Donovan are playing ACM.

The Yank, you mention set pieces, from what i saw yesterday he is better than any other option we have - Baines and Bily either over hit it or don't clear the first man the vast majority of the time. Arteta's the magician but as you know he is only just back in training, non contact at that!

It was a good debut, but you could see there are lots of things he has to adjust to in the team and Prem. You could see there was good vision and techniuqe there, i think he was surprised by the speed of the game and perhaps at times i thought he was a bit nonchalaunt.

Does anybody else agree with me in saying that Donovan could be the player we needed in order to play a successful 4-4-2?

-----------Howard------------
--Neville--Neil--Heitinga--Baines--
--Donovan--Fellaini--Osman--Pienaar--
------Vaughan------Saha------

Neville should be first choice right back from now on with Coleman second choice.
Baines is off form but nobody else can replace him so we will just have to wait for him to regain that form.
Vaughan and Saha each give us different things if you ask me, Vaughan latches onto loose balls and runs onto the through balls whereas Saha plays more like Rooney, slightly deeper and helps out defensively.

I think this could work ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.