Landon Donovan

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty

Sack Sky and donate to GOT...donations are needed
Tim Howards best mate is being courted by us it seems, reports from the States say we are making arrangements to take him in the January window...............sounds like a loan deal

See SSN

He has quite a work ethic and is definitely good enough to play in the EPL. He doesn't suffer fools either, which I greatly appreciate.

We do need a playmaker and he's by far the best out there for what we could afford. Plus he could play in the UEFA cup as well. I saw him play for Bayern in his loan spell and contrary to what people say he was pretty good, it was just he was stuck at a different position every match (sometimes inexplictably playing CF), would have had a couple goals if he wasn't robbed by the keeper in the Bundesliga. I even said they'd regret not signing him for a long term contract and that was before the Confed cup.

Strengths: Has good pace. Deadly on the counterattack, when he has room to work with his final balls and corner kicks are better than any of the players we have on the team. Has played multiple positions, striker, RW, LW, attacking center mid though he is a little out of position at striker. Best at Left center midfield. Trains hard now, and puts in alot of effort for the whole 90min. He's 27 but not that many miles on him. Plus he doesn't have a cadaver ligament in his body.

Weakness: You can sometimes suffocate him in the midfield when he has no speedy striker to stretch the defense which we don't (though him and Peanut on the left side could be sweet). Will take time to acclimate to speed of Prem so may not have much of an effect this season. Has a touch of Arteta disease and sometimes will look for the pass when a shot on goal is open. He's best in a 4-4-2 and though his defense is OK we might not be able to get away with a midfield with Billy, Donovan and Peanut in it.

While we are at it maybe we should bring over McBride again to save our floundering season as well. At least unlike Jo he's a decent target man at CF and good in the air as well. Plus he played with the King at Fulham.

As an American Everton fan I would love to see him in a Everton kit. He would defenitely solve our speed problem.

honestly I think this i great news, he's a very good player when motivated, and this is his big shot really. i'm for it, and would like to see him stay preferably.

Arrogant prick, but he has a genuine touch of class that is rare for the US and would be welcome in our side right now. VERY hard worker, and really seems to "rise to the occasion". He may mail in an easy game, but when it is a big game, he will leave it all on the field. Great pace, can pick out a nice pass, and has a real chip on his shoulder about not "proving" himself in europe yet.

I love the idea of this signing. On the field, I'd equate him to a higher quality Osman. Great versatility, more speed, knack for goals (and will score some top quality ones). Only thing Os has over him is that Os bleeds blue and has Moyes' trust. LD can earn the trust, I doubt he'll bleed blue for a 1/2 season loan though. I hope it's a "loan to buy" deal like Moyes frequently sets... I'd like to see LD in blue for years to come.

If he approaches the opportunity like a Brian McBride, then I'm all for it.

If his approach mirrors the homesick LD at Bayern, then we'd be better off looking elsewhere.

On the whole, worth the risk betting that he's matured mentally and is ready to take another shot at European competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.