Homepage Update: Koeman: "Barkley looking for a new challenge"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decision was forced upon him imo.

Still, it's an ill wind that blows no good: we'll get money toward the Sigurdsson rip off and Spurs will get a bargain.
Whether its Spurs or some other club, I agree that they'll be getting a bargain. The lad has talent. In todays inflated market and at a price around £20m to £30m (depending how close to the end of the window the sale is) he's worth a punt. No doubt. Its unfortunate as to how we've managed to let him get within 12 months of his contract running out. But these things happen. He doesn't want to stay, so we have to get the best deal possible. Shame really.

Irrespective of his ability ( and the level of that ability is a mute point) the lad simply doesn't want to play at Everton.

Forget blaming the manager, or digging Blues for seemingly wanting him gone. The cold hard truth is he believes he can get a more lucrative deal elsewhere. It's a mercenary business, so good luck to him. When he's gone, he's gone and he then has no relevance to Everton at all....he's just another transient player.

I'm interested in players who want to play for the RBJ, not those who don't. Thanks for your efforts Ross but cheerio if the passion has gone.
This is how I'm starting to think. Wanted him to stay and was a bit gutted when I realised he wasn't going to sign the new contract. Really can't understand him. He must have his reasons though (whether it be money, clashes with manager, or concerned about where or if he fits into our team etc). Ultimately he doesn't want to stay. So lets get the best deal possible.
And, from a business and competitive perspective, lets not help a rival club have him primed and ready to go in the early part of the season. First and second game for us after window closes are Spurs and Man Utd. Imagine!

Whether its Spurs or some other club, I agree that they'll be getting a bargain. The lad has talent. In todays inflated market and at a price around £20m to £30m (depending how close to the end of the window the sale is) he's worth a punt. No doubt. Its unfortunate as to how we've managed to let him get within 12 months of his contract running out. But these things happen. He doesn't want to stay, so we have to get the best deal possible. Shame really.
That should never happen. With lesser talent who wont make such a dent into club finances it might be forgivable. But this lad is family silver and my suspicion is that there was no attempt by the manager to keep Barkley beyond the end of this season and therefore the club didn't act earlier and forcefully enough to tie him down. Basically the club officers and board have been weak. Now the club lose out on at least £20M-£30M in fees on Barkley....and could get nothing still if Barkley sees out this contract here.

Gross irresponsibility.

It's not about money, although he wants 120k minimum as that's what Everton offered him. He just feels he can do better than Everton. City and Spurs the ones sniffing. Big mates with Stones and Rom, had his head turned by them.

I can honestly see him becoming a journeyman now.

He'll play for one of West Ham or Newcastle at some point.
They all do dont they. Sunderland being another. But barkley could possibly become a great player with great players around him. Thats the difference. He cant handle taking a game against good teams when the chips are down but others might now do it for him and he could trive on that. Playing with some if the drivell we have had on our team for last 4_5 years he didnt work out against top teams.

I think he is taking the easy way to try to get success. Lets others do it and i will follow. Might work for him or in 3 years he will be playing with hull tigers.

That should never happen. With lesser talent who wont make such a dent into club finances it might be forgivable. But this lad is family silver and my suspicion is that there was no attempt by the manager to keep Barkley beyond the end of this season and therefore the club didn't act earlier and forcefully enough to tie him down. Basically the club officers and board have been weak. Now the club lose out on at least £20M-£30M in fees on Barkley....and could get nothing still if Barkley sees out this contract here.

Gross irresponsibility.
Agreed. It should never of happened. The change of manager from Martinez to Koeman meant a summer period was effectively lost there. That was probably the obvious time to extend the deal. Could have been done before or even after that period too. Mistakes made, situation taken for granted, perceived differences with the Manager etc etc. A homegrown talent lost into the bargain. It won't be the first or last time we or other clubs see it though.
Ultimately he's decided not to stay, so we have to crack on without him. Hopefully lessons learned from this.

Gross irresponsibility.

Or put another way, he is the victim of his own inability to deliver consistently on the pitch in the last 12 months. The 'heads-up' was there right from the off, yet he ignored all the signs.

I'm sick of reading of how wonderful he is, and how we will suffer without him. The England Manager read the signs correctly (and didn't select him), and so did Koeman. The lad has talent, but doesn't have a bloody clue as to how to apply it consistently over a season. If you want a parallel example: Barkley v. Alli of Spurs. No contest - the Spurs lad leave him standing in terms of consistency and application on the pitch game after game after game...

I agree, i can't see Chelsea, Utd or City going any where near him .

Surely even Ross can see he will sit on Spurs bench for half the season.

If i were a betting man i'd go for Arsenal, he would probably get more starts there than at Spurs.

An outside shout for me would be Newcastle, newly promoted ( a challenge), the unmentionable manager would put his arm around him and make him his star player.

' big fish in small pond ' would suit Ross down to the ground, im sorry to say.

No its a champs league team no doubt. No way will he drop from everton for anyone wlse other than top 6. Your right arsenal might be better fit for him. Spurs will take him if levy gets him cheap 15 /20 mill on 10.59 pm last day of window. Its a win win then for spurs. He could be a star or he could be sold for same money in 3 years to hull. So its spurs or arsenal i think.

You couldn't make it up. i suspect Ross will go to Spurs for 30-35 mill. We spend 45-48 on Gylfi. Basically Spurs get a massive discount on a 50 mill pound player with a 5 mill cherry on top from us.

You have to respect the way Spurs go about things.

200w.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.