2018/19 Kieran Dowell

Status
Not open for further replies.
As this is a transition season, so to speak, I'd like to see him start some premier league games as this is the only real way we'll know. Give him a run of 3 games or so where he starts and we can see what he can do. Clever players will naturally get better as they learn the game of the players around them and vice versa so hopefully he'll show more glimpses. No doubting his technical ability though.
Not going to happen mate. Silva played him in the league cup at home to a largely second string Southampton team and has been strung up for it. I can't see him doing that again.

I was actually disappointed in Silva that night for substituting him at half time. Didn't see the point in that.

Think the best we can hope for with Dowell at the moment is to bring him on for 20 mins or so when games are relatively safe, or if we are having trouble breaking down a team parking the bus. We saw an example of what his extra quality can bring for England u21s this week. Once he's had a couple of good cameos behind him maybe then introduce him from the start in an appropriate game (like Cardiff or Brighton at home). Said before, I'd like to see him tried in a deeper midfield role provided he has somebody like Gana or McCarty behind him. It my be the only way to get him involved more plus he is a player who likes to play with the game in front of him.

You think saying a player needs to work hard to ensure they can have a career at the top level is pretty close to writing someone off because they're not as good as Rooney? Your reading's even worse than your scouting mate.

You're the one with the reading problem, 'mate'. Clearly I was comparing what you said to people saying he wasn't good enough for the PL.

Feel free to point out some examples of my scouting btw, and where I've been proven to be wrong... ;)

You're the one with the reading problem, 'mate'. Clearly I was comparing what you said to people saying he wasn't good enough for the PL.

Feel free to point out some examples of my scouting btw, and where I've been proven to be wrong... ;)
I was just attempting to be light hearted both with the scouting and mate comments, I apologise profusely if I in any way gave the impression that I would like to be actual real life friends with you because i'm pretty sure I wouldn't.

I was just attempting to be light hearted both with the scouting and mate comments, I apologise profusely if I in any way gave the impression that I would like to be actual real life friends with you because i'm pretty sure I wouldn't.

Ah, thanks, completely missed that, but considering the second half of your post, you can't really blame me can you? Perhaps you should work on your 'writing' skills. And being less of a [Poor language removed].

I know you've not come back on my reply to your post yesterday.

I still think you're being hard on Dowell based on Tuesday's U21 game. I'm not sure if you watched the whole game, focusing purely on Kieran's performance, as I did. But he clearly was given a remit by the manager for that game and he was incredibly disciplined in sticking to it. His work without the ball was very good as regards covering for full backs, closing down space in the midfield and making himself available, especially when the ball went out to the wide areas. In possession, on the whole he kept it simple but moved the ball on very quickly and accurately, playing it forward when he could. He was central to England keeping possession and his role reminded me of William Carvalho for Portugal. His set play contribution was pretty good to, better than what we normally see on a Saturday afternoon, and he created 6 goal scoring opportunities for his team mates, albeit 4 from set pieces. That does not include the foul that resulted in England's first goal.

I did not particularly enjoy watching him in that role as it didn't make best use of his qualities, but to criticise him for not affecting England's attacking play enough is just wrong when that was clearly not his remit on the day. But I'm pretty sure the manager will treat his goal, assist and 6 created chances as a very welcome bonus.
No Barnfred I saw the last forty minutes of the game, and like you I was surprised Keiran was selected for that role as it requires some tackling to be done and that simply is not in Keiran's game, I watched lose the ball because he didn't have the strength to retain the ball and gave Scotland possession in one of their few attacks, Dowel is too content with what he does never goes all out and plays for ninetyminutes, he didn't have a bad game, he can do a lot more and that is why I always urge him to put extra into his game and a lot more bite, without this I doubt he will get to the level he is certainly very capable of, Barnfred I call it constructive criticism, not having a go for the sake of having a go but hopefully helping him to improve and get to where his talent deserves.

Thanks for your permission mate, was gonna change my mind til you said that... What does have to do to do enough? Score a hattrick? Seven assists? Go in goal and save a pen??

I'd like to think that too, but that's literally the first time I remember you posting anything positive about him. You're not the only one; other people writing him off as not good enough for the prem cos he isn't as good as, or shown as much potential as, Rooney or Beckham etc. Ridiculous.
Very good reply Philw, I like a man who can think for himself, well done.

Seems like a genuinely nice bloke doesn't he?

*edited to stay on topic*

Kieran Dowell may or may not be a brilliant footballer in the future but be careful if you suggest the latter because Phil and Fred will duff you up good and proper.

Mature!

And I couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag...

Apologies for actually trying to defend our players tho!

No Barnfred I saw the last forty minutes of the game, and like you I was surprised Keiran was selected for that role as it requires some tackling to be done and that simply is not in Keiran's game, I watched lose the ball because he didn't have the strength to retain the ball and gave Scotland possession in one of their few attacks, Dowel is too content with what he does never goes all out and plays for ninetyminutes, he didn't have a bad game, he can do a lot more and that is why I always urge him to put extra into his game and a lot more bite, without this I doubt he will get to the level he is certainly very capable of, Barnfred I call it constructive criticism, not having a go for the sake of having a go but hopefully helping him to improve and get to where his talent deserves.
You haven't taken in a word I said in those 2 posts. You have a pre conceived opinion of him and that is it. He lost the ball once in 90 minutes and you focus on it. Nice one.

He could not really have been any more involved in that game tbh. He had over 80 touches of the ball, made 66 passes, 9 crosses, 5 tackles, I header, 1 shot and 3 times he held onto the ball. Twice he was fouled and on the third he lost possession (which I actually mentioned in my original summary). His work without the ball was disciplined and non stop. He literally never stopped moving, covering for the full backs and making himself available. The touches/passes/chances created stats in isolation are themselves probably higher than any Everton player has achieved in one game this season. Plus he scored a worldie and one of his runs led to the other goal. But for some that's not good enough.

He was asked by the manager to play a more disciplined deeper role. Not only did he do his job well, but he also influenced the game at the other end. Why can't we fans just enjoy it when one of our young players does well when on International duty, without trying to find fault which, on this occasion, wasn't there.

You haven't taken in a word I said in those 2 posts. You have a pre conceived opinion of him and that is it. He lost the ball once in 90 minutes and you focus on it. Nice one.

He could not really have been any more involved in that game tbh. He had over 80 touches of the ball, made 66 passes, 9 crosses, 5 tackles, I header, 1 shot and 3 times he held onto the ball. Twice he was fouled and on the third he lost possession (which I actually mentioned in my original summary). His work without the ball was disciplined and non stop. He literally never stopped moving, covering for the full backs and making himself available. The touches/passes/chances created stats in isolation are themselves probably higher than any Everton player has achieved in one game this season. Plus he scored a worldie and one of his runs led to the other goal. But for some that's not good enough.

He was asked by the manager to play a more disciplined deeper role. Not only did he do his job well, but he also influenced the game at the other end. Why can't we fans just enjoy it when one of our young players does well when on International duty, without trying to find fault which, on this occasion, wasn't there.
If you think Dowell is on the way to a top career with Everton the way he plays now I think you will be disappointed, it might be yourself who is not taking in what I am saying about him, I'm not having a go, I hope I am wrong and Keiran goes on to be very successful, doubt it though unless he changes the way he plays.

If you think Dowell is on the way to a top career with Everton the way he plays now I think you will be disappointed, it might be yourself who is not taking in what I am saying about him, I'm not having a go, I hope I am wrong and Keiran goes on to be very successful, doubt it though unless he changes the way he plays.
You defo haven't read my posts mate because I haven't said that. In fact I'm sure I told you at least once that I pretty much agree with your overall perception of the player. I'm just saying that you are wrong as regards the specific under 21 game again Scotland.

You defo haven't read my posts mate because I haven't said that. In fact I'm sure I told you at least once that I pretty much agree with your overall perception of the player. I'm just saying that you are wrong as regards the specific under 21 game again Scotland.
I told twice I didn't think he had a bad game on the forty minutes I watched the game, he never took over the game, did a lot of pointing to players to tell them what to do with the ball instead of running into space and receiving the ball off them, he did twice as much ambling about as he did with any purposeful aim of taking over the game and controlling it, which as the playmaker he was supposed to do, you obviously think he did this, at least to your satisfaction, I think he played within himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.