2018/19 Kieran Dowell

Status
Not open for further replies.
..i’m not so sure it is that simple. In the summer, he said ‘no more loans’ and the club gave him a new contract. We keep sending these youngsters out, it comes to a point where a decision to keep or sell has to be made.
Sure, but you’d make it when you knew better that he could or could not play at this level. Not sure his loan told us either way. His value would also be higher if he went somewhere better than Nottingham and did well. If he doesn’t want the loan, fine, he can sit.

Sure, but you’d make it when you knew better that he could or could not play at this level. Not sure his loan told us either way. His value would also be higher if he went somewhere better than Nottingham and did well. If he doesn’t want the loan, fine, he can sit.

..I understand the point, but it’s very unlikely a club like us will send a player to a Premiership rival. I suppose going abroad is an option but ultimately we’ll only find out if he’s good enough if he plays.

I’m on record as saying he shouldn’t have gone to Forest last season because he would’ve got plenty of game time here (before Walcott came). It would’ve answered all the questions we still have.

Against Southampton he reminded me of Barkley in the sense that he would close down their CB or DM but all they had to do was drop the shoulder and they'd pass him quite easily. That's really not going to work in Silvas system (or many managers to be fair) as it makes him a luxury player.
I would guess that he has this year to try to improve that side of his game and learn Silva's system in training, then show that improvement in the few matches he gets. If he can manage that I think he could still make it as he certainly has quality on the ball.
Hopefully our first few FA cup ties are against lower league opposition so he can get some game time.

..I understand the point, but it’s very unlikely a club like us will send a player to a Premiership rival. I suppose going abroad is an option but ultimately we’ll only find out if he’s good enough if he plays.

I’m on record as saying he shouldn’t have gone to Forest last season because he would’ve got plenty of game time here (before Walcott came). It would’ve answered all the questions we still have.

I don’t think he’s good enough to play in the PL yet is my point. Find a better league than the Championship or give him another Championship shot and hope he dominates. But he’s not even Gylfi’s backup if we intend to use Bernard as an occasional central mid considering he’s pretty much always played as a wide player.

Do we know for sure he’d have provided creativity and goals? I mean he hasn’t thus far this season and we’re a far more expansive side.

As noted, he's hardly played this season.

You see them for the first time and just know they’ve got it because of the way they dribble past people or leave someone for dead with a turn or whatever. I’ve yet to see it from dowell, whenever I’ve seen him in a senior game for us (friendlies included)

But yes, I should coach, I think I could manage a title winning team.

No, you really, really, shouldn't.

..i’m not so sure it is that simple. In the summer, he said ‘no more loans’ and the club gave him a new contract. We keep sending these youngsters out, it comes to a point where a decision to keep or sell has to be made.

Hasn't he only been on one loan? If he stays he won't play enough to become 'tested', because he isn't 'tested' yet. How else is he supposed to get that? He should get a loan to a bottom half prem club, or as others have said possible Germany.

I agree on the calls to play him deeper tho. I think maybe he needs that extra responsibility from playing deeper to force him into getting more involved.

As noted, he's hardly played this season.

No, you really, really, shouldn't.

Hasn't he only been on one loan? If he stays he won't play enough to become 'tested', because he isn't 'tested' yet. How else is he supposed to get that? He should get a loan to a bottom half prem club, or as others have said possible Germany.

I agree on the calls to play him deeper tho. I think maybe he needs that extra responsibility from playing deeper to force him into getting more involved.

..I never get this ‘bottom half Premier club’. We could be in that category and we’re never going to loan him to a rival. I also don’t get this ‘ready for the Premiership YET’ view. As Silva says, he doesn’t see younger players, he just sees players. I doubt another loan will particularly answer the unanswered questions.

For me the problem isn't technical ability, vision or even physicality... the problem is that a player who seems to have all the tools needed in his locker seems to be peripheral in just about nearly every game he plays at almost every level.
I would forfeit the occasional world class goal for a performance that had him involved during the course of the game.

There was a suggestion earlier that he be dropped deeper into midfield and I thought that was a very good idea.
I think experience may teach how to involve himself in games more but maybe he needs to play more to learn this.
I think a loan may again be the correct option.

..I never get this ‘bottom half Premier club’. We could be in that category and we’re never going to loan him to a rival.

If Brands/Moshiri/Silva are worried that teams in the bottom half of the table are our rivals then they shouldn't be in charge of our club.

I also don’t get this ‘ready for the Premiership YET’ view. As Silva says, he doesn’t see younger players, he just sees players

What's not to get? Why doesn't every oversees player play great straight away. Why don't all youth players go straight from the u18s to 30 PL games a year? Most players, especially young ones need time to adapt. Why doesn't everyone coming out of uni get a job straight away, instead of employers asking for experience?

I doubt another loan will particularly answer the unanswered questions.

If, for example, he went on loan to another Prem club then we'd quite possibly get a better idea of if he's ready for the league than if he stays here.

Status
Not open for further replies.